Wind wind brackets - 31 DeSoto roadster

I have wind wings on my 31 DeSoto roadster.  I have tried everything to get the clamps to hold the glass but to no avail.  I have tried double back tape but the temperature in my garage is frequently over 100 in the summer and the glass sags out of the clamps.  I am thinking of trying thin rubber strips between the metal clamps and the glass.  Anyone have a success story to share??...........Bill  Email shortcut999@yahoo.com

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Wind wind brackets - 31 DeSoto roadster

Model-A Ford open cars use rubber pieces to hold the glass between the clamps.  At least the repo ones are rubber and should be readily available at the Model-A parts vendors.  I had a '29 Model-A phaeton years ago that had Plexiglass wind wings.  Weight was a lot less then regular glass.  You would not know the difference and it might help with the sagging too.  I'm in Florida and it can get very hot here.

Capt. Harley😉

Skirts are for women and not car fenders!

20 hours ago, SA Bill said:

I have wind wings on my 31 DeSoto roadster.  I have tried everything to get the clamps to hold the glass but to no avail.  I have tried double back tape but the temperature in my garage is frequently over 100 in the summer and the glass sags out of the clamps.  I am thinking of trying thin rubber strips between the metal clamps and the glass.  Anyone have a success story to share??...........Bill  Email shortcut999@yahoo.com

Thin rubber pads (or “strips”) between the clamp and the glass should do the trick, but I would recommend researching and using material (Buna ? Nitrile? Etc) that will be best suited for an application like this, i.e. impervious to heat, UV, pressure, etc.

For an extra slippage prevention, it might be helpful to lightly media blast the surface of the glass in areas eventually covered by the clamps and rubber pads/strips.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

In the case of the wind wings on my car, the configuration of the glass has everything to do with how it is held in the brackets.  The wind wing hardware was made by a company by the name of Sewell.  From everything that I can find out about this company they were a rather expensive accessory back in the day.  $22.50 was a healthy price in the middle teens.  If anyone wants to PM me I can tell you exactly how the glass is held in the brackets.  As I said, the shape of the glass has everything to do with how the glass is held.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas 

AACA Life Member #947918

P6131185.JPG

I have glass wind wings on my 22 Hupp and cut strips of an old inner tube and shaped them to fit the metal pinch brackets with very good results. There has not been any slippage even in hot weather. Try it and see if it works for you.