1913 model 31, rear axle needs everything

Zach Hughes

New member, old Buick. I've been meaning to join up sooner so I could properly introduce myself under better circumstances.

Unfortunately, I am coming here for direction and recommendations on machine shops that do good work as I believe that the rear end on my model 31 has given all the miles it is going to. The carrier bearings have worn to the point that the carrier can move around nearly 1/4 of an inch. This has of course lead to some serious misalignment between the ring and pinion, in which the pinion has emerged the victor. What's odd to me is that the rear end was quiet right up until the moment it wasn't, Luckily I wasn't far from home. I've torn it all down and it would appear to me that these are the original bearings, with long tubular rollers loosely held together with a cage of sorts, riding inside split races. I see no way to adjust them to coax any more life out of this assembly. The ring gear, while chewed up on the edges looks very capable of handling 30 horsepower for a while yet. But then again it needs to be fixed right as I like to drive my old cars quite a lot, more than I should maybe. 

Anyway, unless someone here has a source for used parts that still have some miles left in them, It unfortunately appears to me that I'm going to need to have new gears produced (I bet that will be cheap) and have the housing machined to accept modern (read that as available) bearings. I'm looking for recommendations for places that cut gears for these old machines, and possibly a place to do the rest of the retrofit work on the housing as well if I cannot find a shop willing to undertake that task here in Texas.

Edited by Zach Hughes (see edit history)