Headliner bows for a 1957 oldsmobile wagon

Working on my 1957 Oldsmobile 4-dr. hardtop station wagon. It has the perforated particle board headliner with exposed plastic bows that are supposed to hold each panel in place.  My work on this car has ground to a stop because the plastic bows that hold the particle board panels in place were to brittle to save.  

Question: What have others used? Could I substitute a set of exposed chrome headliner bows out of a '58 Buick hardtop?  I understand they have stainless or chrome exposed headliner bows. Open to all suggestions.

Greetings

When I saw the chrome headliner trim on the 55 Chev belaire 2dr hts, I wanted those in my 55 Bu Cent 2dr ht. It took some research, but I found Hollanders Interchange manual,(Mpls Co.), stating Olds of the same years('54,'55,'56) and the Buick Specials& Centuries had roofs that interchanged! From that I figured the chrome headliner trim would fit, which 98 & Super 88 2dr ht Olds had. Bingo! Chev is too narrow & Cadd too wide said Goldie locks! Alternatively, you could have someone cut metal trim from a wider/narrower car& mig/tig back together at proper length and rechromed. Took my side garnish to stainless polisher who had tri-5 Chev side stainless in stock. When I laid that trim on top of mine it was Identical, polished stainless purchased, which means side trim can now be polished again if needed, no expensive chroming! Chev Nomad trim is reproduced and could be resized for your Olds, maybe? Outside the box these daze are where a lot of alternatives can be acheived! Good luck!

Edited by 2carb40 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been in contact with a gentleman at oldsmobile obsolete that has the rights to the die set needed to produce the headliner bows.  He is trying to determine if there is enough interest out there to do a setup and run headliner bows.