1926 Buick standard 6

Servin

Hey guys,

so I finally got my Buick home and here it is. Also I’m looking for some parts so if you guys can help with leads or if you have parts feel free to reach out to me and maybe we can do some business thanks. So I have a few questions what is the clutch, gas pedal. I got the Buick from a family that’s owned it from the beginning and there’s something by the steering wheel looks like a cover don’t know what it is or something else supposed to be there you’ll see in the photos. Here’s some stuff I need passenger window and mechanical stuff for the window crank lock door handle that’s goes for all the other handles I need I also need a hood latch just one, the little lights outside I see some call them cow lights? Also head lights and the bezels. Steering wheel don’t know any craftsman near me but here you go check it out! 

8F27893F-CE16-49E3-83A0-12222D7B6CF0.jpeg

B9E27F8B-03C8-45CF-9F0B-5FCEEB99882C.jpeg

2DE30E25-133C-4343-806A-BF83596F5AC3.jpeg

8995C508-2622-4053-AE88-FB6F38050F02.jpeg

Hi Servin,

A nice project, and finding parts will keep you busy.

Looking at your pictures, going from left to right is , clutch pedal , brake pedal, accelerator rod(missing its pedal), foot rest (to stop your foot bouncing on the accelerator on bumpy roads) and the starter pedal. Your dashpanel I'm pretty sure, has been modified with later guages, look for another dash with correct guages.

I recommend you join the Buick club for help with parts and advice and keep searching this forum and  ebay for missing parts.

This picture below is from a previous post on AACA forums, showing a 1926? Buick dash

842934A6-A412-463F-84BC-7EF181C36067.jpeg

Good luck with your project.

Viv

A side-mount spare tire? Unusual for Buick in the mid 1920s. 1928 and 1929 had quite a few side-mounted spares. Also, a front seat bottom with a seat cover!? A lot of automobile manufacturers offered added seat covers, but they are rarely seen and almost neve restored that way. My 1927 Paige 6-45 had its original factory seat covers when my dad bought the car over fifty years ago. But they are in worse condition than yours. Seat covers were also available by after-market sellers, or locally made shops.

Buick in the mid and late 1920s had a carburetor heat control on the dash, it helped for starting with the low grade gasolines, especially on cold days. I believe that is what was where the patch panel is on your dash. Pictures of the carburetor side of the engine would help.

viv w snuck a photo in showing the dash and carburetor heat control.

• Like 1

Viv w gives great advice especially about joining clubs - join the Buick Club of America as well as AACA if you are not already a member. They can let you know about local regions or chapters. The Buick club has members that offer advice on specific years and models who can help answer your questions. Just be patient!

Looks like yo have a solid car but it will need patience to bring it back to the way it was when new. My suggestion is to make it correct mechanically first- find and buy the gauges and restore all of them to working condition. Find the parts and deal with the cosmetics -and upholstery later. before you do any upholstery get the roof wood and covering restored and water proof. It will be a long journey but also a very very rewarding one.

Plan your vacation - try to get to the Hershey ,Pa. AACA annual Fall meet , make your reservations for hotel now. Save and bring a lot of $ and a list with photos of what you need.

• Like 1

Servin:

The photo of the pedals and dash show that this car had been in service for a long time.

The knob at the top of the patch plate is for your choke.DSCF7750.JPG.f0cb502006506f954bdd034979744dc7.JPG

Photo of my 1925 Standard dash. The heat/choke plate was oval on the Standards. By 1926 they switched positions of the ignition switch and speedometer. Oil and Ammeter design was changed.

The reason your speedometer was changed.DSCF7596.JPG.2e637708369d6895cae277382a4127d9.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, viv w said:

Hi Servin,

Looking at your pictures, going from left to right is , clutch pedal , brake pedal, accelerator rod(missing its pedal), foot rest (to stop your foot bouncing on the accelerator on bumpy roads) and the starter pedal. Your dashpanel I'm pretty sure, has been modified with later guages, look for another dash with correct guages.

I recommend you join the Buick club for help with parts and advice and keep searching this forum and  ebay for missing parts.

This picture below is from a previous post on AACA forums, showing a 1926? Buick dash

Viv

Thanks for the info! Yea I have to do some searching is the big lever the emergency brake? When I push the brake pedal and it’s super stiff but I’ll start breaking it down soon and will be posting more photo with questions 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dibarlaw said:

Servin:

The photo of the pedals and dash show that this car had been in service for a long time.

The knob at the top of the patch plate is for your choke.DSCF7750.JPG.f0cb502006506f954bdd034979744dc7.JPG

Photo of my 1925 Standard dash. The heat/choke plate was oval on the Standards. By 1926 they switched positions of the ignition switch and speedometer. Oil and Ammeter design was changed.

The reason your speedometer was changed.DSCF7596.JPG.2e637708369d6895cae277382a4127d9.JPG

Thanks for the info I took another look at the dash right now and seems like my gauges are backwards and a different design than the ones viv w showed me is there a reason why? Also there’s to little knobs one far to the right and one to the left of the steering wheel have an idea what they are? I took a better photo to show you.

23DBD08B-17C6-4BDD-9252-D717541EA153.jpeg

89567ED1-165E-47AC-B138-66628AE69B6E.jpeg

4 hours ago, viv w said:

Hi Servin,

Viv

Thanks sir for reaching out and for the help took another look at the dash is there a reason for the different design on mine and the one you showed me year wise? Dibarlaw post a photo of his 25 and looks similar to mine or I could convert dashes? 

41A7BF1F-30CF-4828-BEEA-3032D61613DC.jpeg

Buick dashes varied between the Standard and Master models, as well as from year to year. Your dash has been altered years ago, probably in part because things like the speedometer failed, and maybe the carburetor heat was no longer needed due to a carburetor change. I think yours is a Standard model, but I do not consider myself a Buick expert, although I have worked on or ridden in several of them over the years. I do like the cars, and think they are among the best of the 1920s automobiles one can own in their price class.

FYI, AC speedometers of the 1920s were manufactured using a type of 'pot metal' that has become infamous for failing badly due to nothing but age. Finding good ones is very difficult. An internet friend on another forum very recently bought one at a swap meet, the AC speedometer appeared to be new old stock, never used since new. He was hoping for a good one, but after consulting with an antique automobile speedometer expert (considered by many to be the top such expert in the world!), found that it was beyond repair.

Quite a lot of cars used them originally, and they were popular as after-market items for many cars that did not get a speedometer from the factory. So finding AC speedometers at swap meets and places like ebay is easy. However, getting a good one is VERY difficult.

The AC speedometer in your dash appears to be later, likely late 1930s.

• Like 2

Servin:

The ammeter and oil pressure gages are correct as is the crumbling ignition/light switch. Same as my comment and Wayne Sheldon's on the AC speedometer.

DSCF1555.JPG.0c08ac59a9c2aed3c1b759592fe61a14.JPG     

My original switch was somewhat cobbled up. I bought aluminum body and switch handles from BOB'S Automobilia. New aluminum body at the right.

139097984_12280620buick202520switch.jpg.457085fc63cb2b9897305294a9b3b403.jpg Inside switch components

DSCF1523.JPG.7edb528b2ebe37321a7c3a69a0afce87.JPG The Micarta contact plate at the rear of the switch. I had to make several new contacts that had been burned the micarta.

When I did the same operation for my 1925 Master I had to use 3 bad switches to get enough parts to make one good one.

I was able to salvage one switch body by drilling out the broken off, swollen switch shafts.

DSCF5705.JPG.3a0008df11f8d570f5f3ac338d4be39c.JPG

As to Wayne's comment about the speedometer. I believe "Hubert" and I have about 10 "junk" AC units between us to get a few functioning examples.

Edited by dibarlaw (see edit history)
  • Like 1