comet Kitten Edition. V6 Engine. Automatic. Under 9,000 Original Miles.

auction near Pittsburgh pa

https://williamshaefferauctions.hibid.com/catalog/293804/online-auction---vehicles---implements---tools---collectible/

Comet Kitten Edition. V6 Engine. Automatic. Under 9,000 Original Miles. 5 Bolt Wheels. Runs & Drives but Needs TLC to be Road Worthy. Original Paint. Needs Paint & Body Work. Original Interior. Car Originally Had White Vinyl Halo Roof. Windshield is Cracked. Car Recently Removed From Long Time Storage. This Lot is CASH ONLY! Pick up Off Site in Indiana, PA. Address Will Be Given to Winning Bidder After Car is Paid For. Sold As Is Where Is. No Warranty Implied or Expressed. Buyer Pays for All Taxes, Title Transfer, Plate Fees & All Notary Fees Before Car is Picked Up.

img.axd?id=7081877813&wid=&p=&ext=&w=0&h=0&t=&lp=&c=True&wt=False&sz=Max&rt=0&checksum=BLPa9kYQFEgmZbsktA6pZUeWmKtRBSz%2f

73.webp

73 3.webp

73 2.webp

P1110410.JPG

Edited by ford40 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

A bit of searching shows the "Kitten Edition" was a dealer package offered in the midwest.  It mostly consisted of the quarter panel sticker.

"A little Cougar in every Mercury"

was their slogan.

2 hours ago, GregLaR said:

A bit of searching shows the "Kitten Edition" was a dealer package offered in the midwest.  It mostly consisted of the quarter panel sticker.

No wonder I've never heard of it. This is a kitten....

15404985232_ff1899c292_b.jpg

Like the 72 Comet I had many moons ago, this one appears to be rotting from the inside out. Still, I think it would make someone a nice driver with some work. The playboy sticker on the dash speaks volumes.

• Like 1

Mixed messages?

On closer examination, it appears the glove box door is sporting that famous patron of travelers, St. Christopher..... twice.

Maybe the car was shared between grandmother and grandson? 😄

The bid is $695. Already over priced. It is rusting to hell. Needs to be painted right now, because the roof has been sanded down in an aborted attempt to prep for paint. But then would you paint it without fixing the rusted through areas?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Needs to be painted right now, because the roof has been sanded down in an aborted attempt to prep for paint.

No! the roof metal was sanded to remove the vinyl top!!!   You can see the remnants of the vinyl at the moldings. 

Bleached carpets, crystalized plastic and rust on a 9000 mile car heavily undercoated car. . . . . Boys & girls THIS is what the malaise era was all about. 

My high school buddy had 3 Mavericks. 2 of them were hand me downs from his Father. He drove them into the ground. We used to party in them, driving around all night into the sunrise hours. He never did any work on a car except to punch in the dashboard when it broke down. The last one he had, he brought from a drunk for a few bucks, it had been brush painted at one time and jacked up. Never seen such a trashy car before. He drove it 2 years with no plate on it. After that he got his sister's hand me down Pontiac Astre, marking the end of the Maverick era. He drove that until the radiator started leaking and then the head gasket blew. He gave it to our friend, an auto machinist, who fixed it to sell. I brought it for $400.00 and drove it for a few years. It was a blast to drive. 4 speed. That was my favorite American car out of the 70s litter.

Junk or no junk? The car seems to be getting a lot of attention. Is that not some of the reasoning for having old cars? I could see it, once restored, going across the auction block with some young lady wanting her own car after her husband or better half spends 100K or more on his favorite car. "Honey I like that one. Would you buy it for me? A Comet Kitten every girls dream?

An orange rust bucket piece of crap with one giant snow tire.

Remember the oil embargo? Sitting in one of these pieces of s**t for hours in line at a gas station? 

Yeah, good times.

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, suchan said:

An orange rust bucket piece of crap with one giant snow tire.

Remember the oil embargo? Sitting in one of these pieces of s**t for hours in line at a gas station? 

Yeah, good times.

Dad refused to give up his 68 international travelall regardless the fuel price. If it rained it would never start.  He finally broke down and got a pinto wagon.  It was a bad time for cars.

My first Body Shop job was at Constantine Lincoln Mercury in Monongahela, PA June of 1973.

I had to repair and paint the side of one of these Comet "Kittens". In 1973 Mercury had several special models in color series. Gold, Silver, Bronze. These "Kittens" came in an Orange. The closest match I could get was a fleet truck color called Omaha Orange.

1 hour ago, ford40 said:

I think its all what you want . If you had a little Duraglass and some brake work it would make a driver.

then maybe a v8 some paint ,a little at a time. someone to make a kitten decal.

I thought the motor was the best part of the car. The rest looked like it was ready for the toxic waste facility.

My mom had one. It ran and ran until she got tired of the looks of it and bought a new '74 Fiat 124 sedan.

Talk about a downward spiral...

9 minutes ago, suchan said:

I thought the motor was the best part of the car. The rest looked like it was ready for the toxic waste facility.

My mom had one. It ran and ran until she got tired of the looks of it and bought a new '74 Fiat 124 sedan.

Talk about a downward spiral...

I had a Fiat 124 sedan… My condolences 

I find, as I age, I can endure much for nostalgia's sake and this '73 Comet plucks a particular chord for me.

When I was young I took for granted all the fine cars that belonged to the fathers on my block.  I just figured, that's the way it was everywhere and always would be.  Driveways filled with late model (1960/70's) Cadillacs, Mustangs, Chevelles, Impalas, Lincolns, Thunderbirds and the like.  A car enthusiast from a young age, I enjoyed riding my bicycle around same said block and viewing my neighbors great cars regularly.  Until the day Mrs. M. came home with a brand new, wretched green 1973 Comet.  Instinctually, I felt it's spartan 6 cylinder, extruded plastic, garishly trimmed, cheapness oozing forth every time I passed.   She was a nice lady, pretty with a  beautiful house and wonderful landscaping, always friendly to me but I couldn't get beyond the fact that she possessed a real shit-mobile among these otherwise greats.  

When this orange "kitten" appeared here last week the first thought I had was of that same car my neighbor owned all those years ago and, after such a void in new car appeal for so long, I actually found myself thinking, "Y'know, it has chrome bumpers and it's an interesting color, with the white vinyl roof restored it may not look too bad.  Maybe I was a little harsh on it back in the day".

Then as I thumbed through the pics in the ad and saw the disintegrated plastic interior panels, the complete rust through of the thin body panels at only 9,000 miles, then reconsidered the hideous front bumper styling and the bargain basement dash pod, better suited to a snowmobile than a automobile, I chuckled and  remembered exactly which chord had been plucked.  It was the acme of economy and poor design coupled with a complete disregard for quality that even a kid on a bicycle could see when this car was new.

And for that I am grateful.  :lol:

When I was in construction the term "value engineered" was tossed around when you were trying to cut corners and save some money. This car goes far beyond "value engineered". Just plain cheap. 

• Like 1