What year/model Buick, please? Pic taken 1954.

smg

My grandfather always drove a Buick - would love to know its year & model.  

Don't know if there is enough picture to identify the 2nd car on the right - suggestions welcomed :)

33 1954 July - pic 5 crop to identify cars.JPG

The original photo appears to have a ribbed bumper which the Dodge does not have but a 1936 Buick would have. Not the best comparison photo, but I think if you look closely you will see the difference in the bumpers. 

http://smclassiccars.com/uploads/postfotos/1936-buick-special-dual-sidemount-2.jpg

It could be they put a Buick Bumper on a Dodge after the crash that dented the right rear fender. :)

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, MCHinson said:

The original photo appears to have a ribbed bumper which the Dodge does not have but a 1936 Buick would have. Not the best comparison photo, but I think if you look closely you will see the difference in the bumpers. 

http://smclassiccars.com/uploads/postfotos/1936-buick-special-dual-sidemount-2.jpg

It could be they put a Buick Bumper on a Dodge after the crash that dented the right rear fender. :)

I do not see a rib on that bumper. Also, the Buick has no stainless trim on it. The Dodges do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keiser31 said:

I do not see a rib on that bumper. Also, the Buick has no stainless trim on it. The Dodges do.

My area of expertise is 1937 and 1938 Buicks. The original photo bumper appears to have ridges like a 1936 Buick bumper to my eyes. 1936 Buicks can have stainless steel trim, similar to the Dodge. I answered the original question what Buick could it be. If it is a Buick, it has to be a 1936. After looking at some photos online, I think it is quite possible that "My grandfather always drove a Buick" was not quite correct. Looks like the taillights could be Dodge. The body lines on Buick and Dodge sedans certainly were very similar in 1936.  

• Like 1

I think 1951 Buick for car on left (Grandpa's car) makes sense - picture seems to match Bloo's posted pic. Grandpa usually bought a new car every 3 years, and this picture is from 1953 or 54.  We were always taught to "look for the holes" on the Buick, and Grandpa always had them - 3 or 4-holed :)

Re one on the right, I do recall an "old jalopy" and the word "Dodge" connected to it - it was used to commute to the local train station.  So 1936 Dodge for the one on the right??  Is that the consensus?

Thanks for your help!

• Like 3

• 5 months later...