My trailer was involved in a vehicle rollover …..

I already transported a couple VW’s for Jayson from Southern California

to the Seattle area:

CBE15DE9-2710-42B5-AE95-355B62C02C4E.jpeg.b97601117365dba13141f96f960fbd96.jpeg

4B8D3763-50B1-409E-86D9-7A0E2C0EBB22.jpeg.2fd507334049a5ee1d4004b4aa4d78c0.jpeg

94ADC877-7205-4EC8-B0CC-F8702954F210.jpeg.301e2ba08ef98961f8ce8dae32fc1536.jpeg

Jayson had a hard time lining up either a 
moving company or a rental truck or trailer

to move some other things …

So I obliged - he did the packing with friends

I just opened the side door to check

how things were and found there had

been an incident  …

( check the lower left of the image ) 

197F9CF7-5D5C-45E0-9C64-7FBE6E586CEF.jpeg.327065bd1c561b4237d30c5d6b159462.jpeg

Luckily there were no injuries and
only minor damage to the vehicle …. 🤔

9249D778-1569-4F8B-A701-48922F43C345.jpeg.ce731fc327511811990a64e9e104db54.jpeg

Jim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

I learned long ago...

1.  Don't crawl under a car when someone else set the jackstands--without testing or verifying the placement of the stands and their condition

2.  Don't let someone else tie down cargo or the vehicle in my trailer....someone else who has less knowledge of blocking, bracing and dunnage

Glad this was the least serious-possible result!

• Like 2

About five years ago I ran over my right leg with my 1 ton quad cab dually.

I crushed my calf below the knee along with my thigh when the rear dually wheels settled on my leg.

This was due to stupidity on my part.

I almost lost my leg below the knee.

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)

Yes....NEVER trust anyone with securing a load in a trailer. I was run completely over by a PII sedan. Fortunatly they have loads of ground clearance, so when it dragged me 40 yards after it ran me over, I didn't get squashed a second time. It's amazing what you can do when your in shock, and bleeding like a stuck pig. You can still have the strength to do one of those mission impossible moves and pull yourself up and hug the chassis to prevent further damage. Had to replace the rug......from all the blood. 

• Like 1

You never think something will happen to you until it does; worth the extra time for the precaution that nothing will happen. Good to read in these cases that two good fellows are here to warn us about what can happen!!!

• Like 2

Nasty! NO fun! Two pilotless runovers? (Jim's and Ed's?)

I remember when Jim's truck had ran himself over.

One thing I know about Jim. He is a very open, honest about himself and his mistakes type of person. He doesn't try to hide them and deny his momentary carelessness (something most people do try to hide!) Instead, he treats them as teaching opportunities, and uses them as warnings or reminders for other people to not get careless, and make a potentially serious mistake.

I always enjoy reading his posts, both here and on the MTFCA forum.

I am of course pleased that this thread is in jest (something else Jim likes to do!). About fifteen years ago, a good friend of mine did have a rollover in his large (I don't offhand know the length?) three axle car hauler. He is a very capable trailer operator, and had a very nice preservation Pierce Arrow inside. One tire on one side blew out, the other two when hit with a sudden load shift followed suit, in part due to a strong crosswind. The trailer flipped onto its side onto the shoulder of the freeway. Fortunately, nobody was hurt. And because my good friend was careful about how he tied his cars down inside the trailer, the tie-downs held, and damage to the car was very minor. I saw the car at his shop just a few days later, and the repairs were already nearly completed!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have seen a Wells Cargo Auto Wagon that rolled over on the roof with a 1932 Packard Sedan in it. The car actually stayed tied to the floor, and hung upside down for a while till they righted it. I was shocked at how little damage the car had. 

• Like 1

Jim, I was horrified at what I was gonna see when I opened this thread. Glad to see it was only a vw bus that was injured.

Ed, kinda along the same lines, years ago my brother was pulling an eager beaver with one of our telescoping forklifts on the deck. Long story but he ended up rolling the trailer, the dump truck stayed upright. The lift stay firmly attached to the trailer even when the tow bus pulled things upright. Not a single chain came loose. 

• Like 2

Yeah ….

I am an easy target 😎

I have never been in a situation before 

or since when my life depended entirely 

on the kindness of strangers.

I was just a few minutes away from 

having my calf muscle explode.

Then my leg would have had to be

amputated at the knee - maybe further.

I took these images in the emergency

room - that is compaction damage 

from the dually wheel

on my leg.

10K of truck weight & 12K of trailer 

and cargo left an impression 🤨

Entirely Avoidable Too 🙄

Jim

F2BEC6B4-5561-4000-9E9D-F3225A488B15.jpeg

05507A6E-0C30-4A00-84F4-CFC9F8A317C9.jpeg

C6DD7D7B-C3C7-4D9E-9003-8FDF7D3F4087.jpeg

EEFD5735-7CF8-4A90-B36C-065A03EB8564.jpeg

3 hours ago, Grimy said:

I learned long ago...

1.  Don't crawl under a car when someone else set the jackstands--without testing or verifying the placement of the stands and their condition

The first thing that I do when I put a car on a lift of jack stands is to try and knock it off!

THEN I get under it!

• Like 4

We were hauling horses along with two other friends when the lead trailer got broadsided by a pickup that ran a red light. A horse trailer does not have a lot of structural strength above the frame. The driver saw the truck at the last second and floored it to try and just have a glancing blow but no luck. It at least helped some but both horses were injured the trailer was totaled. It is a major job trying to get two horses laying on their side on top each other up and out of a wreck without further injury. We actually laid down on their heads to hold them down while the firemen ripped the aluminum away. Then we rolled one off the other and they were able to get up. It took a long time to get those two horses to load in any trailer after that.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

I already transported a couple VW’s for Jayson from Southern California

to the Seattle area:

CBE15DE9-2710-42B5-AE95-355B62C02C4E.jpeg.b97601117365dba13141f96f960fbd96.jpeg

4B8D3763-50B1-409E-86D9-7A0E2C0EBB22.jpeg.2fd507334049a5ee1d4004b4aa4d78c0.jpeg

94ADC877-7205-4EC8-B0CC-F8702954F210.jpeg.301e2ba08ef98961f8ce8dae32fc1536.jpeg

Jayson had a hard time lining up either a 
moving company or a rental truck or trailer

to move some other things …

So I obliged - he did the packing with friends

I just opened the side door to check

how things were and found there had

been an incident  …

( check the lower left of the image ) 

197F9CF7-5D5C-45E0-9C64-7FBE6E586CEF.jpeg.327065bd1c561b4237d30c5d6b159462.jpeg

Luckily there were no injuries and
only minor damage to the vehicle …. 🤔

9249D778-1569-4F8B-A701-48922F43C345.jpeg.ce731fc327511811990a64e9e104db54.jpeg

That is so funny and a relief.  I started reading from the bottom of this thread and worked my way up.  One horrible story (Edinmas I don't believe you grabbed the chassis to save your life and would like a reenactment as proof) after the next and I was dreading to see what happened to the beautiful Karmann Ghia.  So glad no one was hurt.

Edited by supercargirl (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I am getting the impression that some people have missed a point? There are (so far?) three different 'rollovers' mentioned here.

First is Jim's 'in jest' hauling a friend's stuff in his trailer.

Then, in response to a comment by Grimy, Jim mentioned and later expanded upon an incident from a few years ago when he was doing a repair to his truck. In a careless moment, Jim had not made certain his truck could not roll. While he was under his truck (which had sat just fine where it was for some time), his truck which was hitched to his large trailer decided to roll over him! He was doing a minor repair under his truck, a bit out away from (motel? restaurant?) some businesses. Pinned under the truck's wheel, Jim couldn't do much of anything himself. Fortunately, some strangers found him and freed him in time to not lose his leg! This close call, Jim shared at length with the model T forum as a teaching moment. (Which I and others thanked him for.) It was a simple error setting up to make a minor under-car repair, that could have cost Jim a lot more than the leg he nearly lost!

Then, also in response to Grimy's setting things right and tying down yourself comments, I told of a good friend that also likes to make certain his cars were properly tied down who's trailer got flipped in a combination of the crosswind and a tire blowout. Because his Pierce Arrow was properly tied down, the car received only minor damage when the trailer landed on its side.

As to the OP tale (in jest?)?

As I gather, Jim had hauled two Volkswagen vehicles for his customer/friend. And he hauled some household stuff. A 'toy' Volkswagen bus shook loose, and landed on its side. That was the 'rollover' Jim's trailer was involved in. I gather that the two real Volkswagens were not harmed in any way.

• Like 1

A few weeks ago a friend put his Model A on jack stands and crawled under it.  He took a bottle jack to take a little pressure off

one spring shackle and dropped the car on his leg.   A compound fracture with lots of blood.  Pinned under the car for an hour

with his phone 10 feet away on the work bench.   Finally he was able to take 4 x 4 and pry the axle off his leg and crawl to the

work bench and the phone.   A helicopter ride and 4 surgeries later, he's on the mend but can't put any weight on it for 3 months.

Stuff happens.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I am getting the impression that some people have missed a point? There are (so far?) three different 'rollovers' mentioned here.

First is Jim's 'in jest' hauling a friend's stuff in his trailer.

Then, in response to a comment by Grimy, Jim mentioned and later expanded upon an incident from a few years ago when he was doing a repair to his truck. In a careless moment, Jim had not made certain his truck could not roll. While he was under his truck (which had sat just fine where it was for some time), his truck which was hitched to his large trailer decided to roll over him! He was doing a minor repair under his truck, a bit out away from (motel? restaurant?) some businesses. Pinned under the truck's wheel, Jim couldn't do much of anything himself. Fortunately, some strangers found him and freed him in time to not lose his leg! This close call, Jim shared at length with the model T forum as a teaching moment. (Which I and others thanked him for.) It was a simple error setting up to make a minor under-car repair, that could have cost Jim a lot more than the leg he nearly lost!

Then, also in response to Grimy's setting things right and tying down yourself comments, I told of a good friend that also likes to make certain his cars were properly tied down who's trailer got flipped in a combination of the crosswind and a tire blowout. Because his Pierce Arrow was properly tied down, the car received only minor damage when the trailer landed on its side.

As to the OP tale (in jest?)?

As I gather, Jim had hauled two Volkswagen vehicles for his customer/friend. And he hauled some household stuff. A 'toy' Volkswagen bus shook loose, and landed on its side. That was the 'rollover' Jim's trailer was involved in. I gather that the two real Volkswagens were not harmed in any way.

Obviously, teaser threads such as this one triggers real life emotional true stories of personal injury and other 'close calls'.

Perhaps not a bad thing, even though the majority of us are relieved no one was injured or killed, and a real vehicle was not harmed in any way.

Craig

• Like 3