1916 D-45 JUST DAYS AWAY FROM START

Our D-45 is literally just a few days away from the first start-up after the engine rebuild.  I think I could write a book about this project.  Parts and pieces off this car have been from California to Massachusetts and from Upper Michigan to Old Mexico with a lot of places in between.  We're waiting on the last piece to get back home for the start-up.  The steering wheel needs to be in place so that the spark and throttle quadrant can be reinstalled.  The controls must be in place so that the engine can be started.  There have been setbacks along the way, but the comebacks were always better.  There have been some extremely skilled and talented folks that had a hand in the result you see here.  We want to do a video that thanks all of those involved.  We are going to do a live video of the engine start-up.  There is one thing that I really want to let folks know about and that is that this car is NOT a Trailer Queen.  It is not perfect by a long shot.  The things that were done to and with this car were done with the idea of making it as nice as possible and then enjoy the heck out of it.  45 years is too long to let any car set and not be driven and enjoyed.  We're going to do our best to make up for that.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

P7071215.JPG

P7071216.JPG

P7071217.JPG

P7071218.JPG

P7071219.JPG

P7071220.JPG

• Like 10

Thrilled to see her back on the forum!  Cannot wait to hear her purr to life after the long "roller coaster" ride that these restorations take us on.  

I've been following every step of the way, and now you are just a couple quadrants from home.  Beautiful job, one of the finest "non trailer-queens" I've ever seen.

Be proud of your accomplishment and the amazing history of this fine automobile.  Well Done!

Gary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Terry has come quite a distance...!

390792678_Terry16-4.JPG.b8934550dd7deef7aa2aefae610fd5d1.JPG

These were some of the first photos Terry sent to me as an introduction back in 2011.

756368664_Terry16-2.png.e74e3f0a585e20929454665adce6166f.png    459764385_Terry16-1.JPG.1b7c1da21e9a19622c1e811ef890985d.JPG

His 1922 Coupe in the foreground.

523949617_Terry22-48.JPG.ab19e7db3ba27df9fd6d10c4fd2d674e.JPG

• Like 2

Larry,

That Buick really looked sad in those pictures.  My shop building even looked horrible also.  I try not to think about all of the work and effort that has gone into what you see in the photos today because it just makes me tired to think about it.  But think about all of the fun that is just waiting to happen now.  Hot damn - let's go!

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

• Like 2

Terry......we need to run the Buick up against my White. Interesting side by side. Flat head vs overhead valve. Car looks great! Enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As my long time, old friend here in Hutchinson used to tell my Dad, "The ol' gal has her workin' clothes on".  I couldn't agree with him any more.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

I think there is something that I need to clarify for everyone so that no one gets the wrong idea about this car.  The Black finish on the body is believed to be the original brushed on colored varnish that it left the factory with.  Back in the day anything that could go through a baking oven had an enamel finish.  Since the body was composite (sheet metal over a wooden framework) it was finished with a brush and wet sanded probably two times.  I can trace the history of the car back to 1943 and the body finish from then to the present has not been touched.  There are several places that a person can see brush marks in the finish.  When Gary Martin did the new upholstery for us he found this document inside the rear passenger door panel.  I like to think of this as the car's 'birth certificate'.  It is dated 10/15 and lists the body color as Black.  After having the fenders repainted and seeing how well they turned out, I started thinking that there was really going to be a noticeable difference between them and the body.  I used a product that the body shops use called 3M FINESSE.  This stuff looks for all the world like runny toothpaste.  I used soft cotton dish towels to apply the product to the body and I rubbed and rubbed and rubbed some more.  The towels turned Black and on the final application I let it dry to a haze and then started all that rubbing all over again.  I then applied a coat of hard paste wax.  The result is what you see in these photos.  We think that it turned out pretty well.  My thinking was/is that I do not want to do anything more than is absolutely necessary to bring back and preserve what is here.  Well, that's the story for the finish and I am very serious in telling everyone that this old Buick is not perfect by any means.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

PC100677.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Terry will have to change the title of this thread..... He called me a while ago with good news.. (I said that I did not want to here anything unless it had to do with exhaust gases....He said that it most certainly does.) to say he had the engine running!!!! As he said "45 years and 6 days since last it had been run".

Congratulations Terry!

• Like 3

HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT HERE - THE ENGINE RAN FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 45 YEARS AND 6 DAYS THIS AFTERNOON!!

As Larry said in the previous post, the engine ran this afternoon for about 10 minutes.  I watched the ammeter running at a steady 'charge', the oil pump was doing its job by sending oil up through the sight gauge on the dash, the water pump packing was doing its job with no leakage so far, and the Marvel Carburetor had no signs of fuel leakage.  The engine was running on the fuel in the vacuum tank as the gasoline tank is bone dry empty.  I sure am glad that I went to the trouble of priming the oil pump.  Things got a little smoky from the assembly grease on the valves and that will dissipate rather quickly on the next run.  I started the engine with the exhaust cutout open so as to help it breathe a little better and I am here to say that a John Deere tractor hasn't got anything on this engine.  Keeping in mind that this engine was dry, it started on the third attempt of the starter pedal.  My daughter and son-in-law are going to be here tomorrow afternoon and we will get the arrangements made to shoot the video so that everyone can see the results of this rebuild/restoration.  For the short time that it ran it sure sounded good.  More to come.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

• Like 17

There is a video forthcoming.  I wanted to make sure that everything was OK and that the engine would run.  Everything was checked, checked again, and then it was looked at again.  I'm sorry folks - I just did not want to come across as a dufus and not have the engine start with the video camera running.  This has given me some time to finish up the last details so that we will have a good photographic result.  I installed an in-line fuel filter between the gasoline tank and the vacuum tank.  I bought 10 gallons of alcohol free gasoline to start with and I want to get the carburetor dialed in so that the engine runs really well.  I will let everyone on here know when the video takes place and post the details.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Still waiting!''  

Ben

COMMAND PERFORMANCE comes to mind! 😉

• Haha 1

I think a good explanation is in order here.  Guys, I'm waiting too.  The steering wheel is supposed to be on its way back to us this week.  I sent it back East to a restoration facility to have it finished.  I do not have the equipment or knowledge to do an automotive spray finish on the wooden rim on the wheel - so, we had to have this done for us.  I think this part is about to be finished up.  On Sunday, the 11th, my daughter and son-in-law were with us and we had the engine running for about 10 - 15 minutes.  It was noticed that there was an oil leak with the sight gauge on the dash.  I snugged the rim up a bit and it slowed it way down.  On Monday I wanted to get that situation completely fixed.  I went to snug the rim up a slight bit more and promptly broke the glass lens.  I was able to get an exact replacement from McMaster-Carr and that didn't get here until Friday.  I tried to start the engine yesterday afternoon and I think the carburetor is far enough out of adjustment that I flooded the engine.  I'm going to try it again this afternoon and hopefully there will be better results.  If there is one thing that I have learned a long time ago it is that the harder a person tries and pushes with some things, they will invariably get hosed up.  We are so close to putting the finishing touches on this car and it seems like it is a kick and a fight right down to the line.  During this time I did manage to get an in-line fuel filter installed between the gasoline tank and the vacuum tank.  After trying to start the engine yesterday I noticed that fuel is being drawn from the rear tank through the line up to the filter - a good thing.  Well, that's the story up until the present.  You will be the first to know when this video is going to happen.  Stay tuned.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I know of a fellow who had a perfectly operating vacuum tank, and decided to add a fuel filter as you did.  The car starved for gas after that.  The vacuum tank itself acts as a sediment bowl, so the filter may not be needed.  

Old cars are fun!  They're like good baseball pitchers, they like throwing you a curve every now and then....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terry Wiegand said:

I did the filter in such a way that IF it does cause any problems I'll just take it out.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

That’s good, I wasn’t criticizing, just making a comment!  Small world as you know, regarding Rose and old car…dc

Terry, I'm looking forward to hearing about it running! Hopefully you'll get it going soon.

However, I have a question about the top. I looks like the top has a cover which fits over the top frame. Is that just a cover, and does it have a top under that?

Thanks.

Keith

I upgraded my fuel filter from a glass bowl Carter with the stone to a modern cannister filter. The stone was not filtering out the smallest rust particles. Glass bowls are great at filtering the sand-size particles but not the really small ones which can still clog the carb.

Edited by Morgan Wright (see edit history)

Keith, what you are seeing is a bottom fitted bedsheet over the top.  A friend of mine gave me that suggestion to help keep the top material clean when we're not driving the car.  We got a cheap set of bedsheets from Walmart in the queen size and it works really well.  Wait until you guys see how the gasoline tank is filled.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas 

AACA Life Member #947918

• Thanks 1

Jake,

No, we are scrambling as fast as we can to get this engine running so that we can get some miles on it before the Red Flag Tour in late September.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918