55 Wiper Vacuum hose

Posted (edited)

Has anyone ever found new vacuum hose with the ridge on the outside? I remember buying some years ago at the auto parts store. I found some online and the photo showed the ridges but what they sent me was cheap thin wall crap.

20210706_204236b.jpg

20210706_204319b.jpg

Edited by Mudbone (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have a couple rolls of old stock ribbed hose that I use sparingly. I have also scavenged some ribbed and color coded hose from under dashes of Buicks and Cadillacs in junk yards or from cars I parted out.

The used stuff that has been protected from engine heat or the sun is still very pliable.

My trick has been to use butt splices in hidden areas to allow lengths of fresh and coded original to show in the open areas. The new hose is hidden in the back of fender wheels or in dashes.

I did a '58 Cadillac that had an underhood harness of four lines that was dried and in bad shape. I cut it back to the pliable section and added about a foot behind the curve of the inner fender well, unseen. The correct hose is sometimes hard to find. Being creative with the scraps of good hose can make a good looking job though.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mudbone said:

I had contacted them for the specs and he could not give them to me. I would at least like to know the ID. 3' for $34.00 

Yes, no doubt. But, the type of vacuum/washer hose is available new. Just a matter of finding the right ID. What ID do you need? 

9 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Yes, no doubt. But, the type of vacuum/washer hose is available new. Just a matter of finding the right ID. What ID do you need? 

I measured the tubes the hose connects to at 3/16th

• 3 weeks later...

Corvette Central has what you're looking for, but they typically sell the hose as part of a windshield washer hose kit.

It might be worth asking if they will sell you what you need.

This is what came up when I searched for "ribbed vacuum hose" on the Corvette Central site:

https://www.corvettecentral.com/search?CurrentSearchCategoryId=&q=ribbed+vacuum+hose

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mudbone,

Sorrrry to crash your post, but I can't contact members directly at this time. I just wanted to say thank you for all the past videos on all the various subjects. I've been restoring a 1955 Roadmaster for several years and I watched every video you ever made, I believe. Some are coming up "private now" on Youtube so see what that's about. Made it through the engine and had a successful engine start and break in. Have done a million other things and I'm neck deep in rebuilding the transmission - darn endplay is out of spec. Almost done painting the entire car. Other than some past history mechanical experience in my teens (now 61) almost all my restoration efforts have been a first time/new experience. Painting, full engine rebuild, full transmission rebuild, suspension, every stinking part on the car rebuild, etc. So thank you so much for documenting these tasks. I could not have accomplished all this without your video's!   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

...and now back to the crappy replacement vacuum hose thread!  ;)

So, is there another source (e.g., Eckler's Corvette?), or is it time to play Bernie's "bury the new hose under the dash and put original hose in the engine compartment" game? 

Posted (edited)

I had to pick up some things at Farm & Fleet this afternoon. (I brought a small section of the old hose with me) I was looking at the fuel line and right in front of me was some Vac hose! Made by DAYCO. It has a slightly larger ID but it fits tight over the wiper control tubes. It has two ridges instead of multiple. I think it is a close as I will get. $3.99 for 6'. I paid $14.00 for the other stuff that is basically cheap washer hose. 

20210828_153640.jpg

20210828_153705.jpg

Edited by Mudbone (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1