Emergency brake trouble with '89

Reattatude

I will try that but the release lever seems to be disengaged and the crt is indicating the brake is engaged while the lever is not working its like the cable is loose? Can't get brake to go off. 

And not the first time the emergency brake has given me trouble I've had a couple of mechanics work on it, say it's fixed then it's not.

There are some pretty stout return springs on each rear caliper.......so if it is not releasing, it is either in the cable or at the pedal.    

I have never worked on the pedal assembly but pretty sure there is a spring in there that might have failed or broken. 

If the cable under the driver is hanging loose when the parking brake is released, the problem lies under the car. Either a sticking cable, return springs on the aforementioned arms on the rear brakes or my favorite, the equalizer connector inside the rear crossmember where it can rust enough to sort of collapse together when the parking brake is applied.

Mr. 2seater thanks for the most informed / helpful post to troubleshoot the problem...the cable is loose looks like previous repair attempts have missed the actual point of malfunction 

63Viking your funny dude, you sound like my wife

But no I'm keeping my car I'm the second owner and it's been garage kept and in fab condition!

18 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

There are some pretty stout return springs on each rear caliper.......so if it is not releasing, it is either in the cable or at the pedal.    

I have never worked on the pedal assembly but pretty sure there is a spring in there that might have failed or broken. 

Barney thanks for your input too. Question is it OK to drive my car with the emergency brake in this condition?? I do not want to make it worse.

Just make sure the parking brake arms on the rear calipers are back against the stops or they may drag. You should look at them anyway as it will give an idea if they are the cause of the slack cable. 

I must not be thinking clearly about this for some reason. How does slack in the cable cause the parking brake light to come on even if the parking brake pedal is pulled by hand all the way back to the released position?  I don't doubt it's possible. I'm just wondering how. Maybe something to do with the ratcheting mechanism?

parking brake switch.png

I know it happened on the red car my son has. Even though the pedal can be pulled all the way back we could only get the light to go out by getting  underneath the dash and pushing the actual cable attachment to trip the switch. Perhaps not so on all of them but I suspect there is a pedal stop not directly attached to the sector gear for the ratchet?? I know that diagram looks clear, but it certainly isn't easy to access in the car🙄

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2021 at 6:06 PM, DAVES89 said:

In 50 years of driving I have used the e brake maybe 5 times. After you get your issue resolved I would suggest you not use yours either.

Yes, but my new driveway is very steep. Normally I wouldn't use it, but it's been a chronic problem also, the cable drooping isn't desirable. It jest needs Fixin!