Old car wives

How do old car lovers convince their wives that they need another old car or car part? Just wondered.Sometimes the better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission might work. Or tell them at least I'm not spending my money on beer or chasing other women.

13 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Buy the car and give it to her.

Or just do what you want because you're a responsible adult and your wife trusts you not to make frivolous decisions and wants you to be happy.

See me happy? That's why she closed her eyes when we make love,she hates to see me have a good time,just kidding.

• Haha 2

Buick35:

I was spending money on beer and my wife complained I spend too much. I pointed out she spends a lot on makeup, etc.  She said it was so she could look sexy and attractive for me. I said I thought that's what the beer was for.  We have a comfortable couch!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I have to store a few of my cars off-site, and my wife will follow me out in one of the cars to bring back "fresh" ones every few weeks.  She likes driving them (short distances anyway)!  Ask for her input in finding the next car and pick up something she wouldn't mind driving.  People I know, however, say I have a fantasy marriage, and they're kind of right.  :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

She was commenting the other day about the money the Buick required and what has been spent to date.  

Politely informed her that HER cable TV , which I can do without,  had totaled more since buying the car than all the money in the car. Plus her jewelry and do-dads.  

I would gladly give up the Buick to get her health back.

Ben

• Like 6

My wife and I have maintained at least one car for each era of touring, and some multiples.

She drives them all (not yet on the '15 Hudson, but hopefully as soon as it is back on the road).

I have surprised her with vintage red convertibles, bought for her, and in her name.

Since the late 1960s we have toured together, and always felt that tours were great vacations for our kids and grandson, who also grew up in the hobby. She is also a Senior Master AACA Judge, and all of our cars have been shown - but she prefers tours to shows because of the great connection with people, and the amazing places w've visited.

Now toward our declining years we may slow down, a bit, but still try to find humor when and where we can,

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 3

After we got married, my wife wanted to be a participant in my hobby. It was awkward at first, me having worked 42 years at a GM dealership and very anti-Ford, while my then new wife had worked at Ford dealerships for nearly 50 years ! The solution was to jointly purchase a Packard.

She only drove it once, and almost put me through the windshield at the first stop sign. She didn't think a 1940 model car would have good brakes.

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

My wife is a car gal, so I'm lucky. She used to ask which car I was selling when a new one arrived. Now she's gotten used to it, and in fact, is really getting into the hobby. She has 5 cars of her own now and just sold one of them to make room for something "more interesting". She's not quite as rabid as I am (she'll go to a car show, but leave after a couple of hours), but it's nice having the common interest.

I took a tow bar with us on our honeymoon  36 years ago to Florida from NY . About 60 miles from home the tow car cast its withers (timing chain jumped) on interstate 17. I convinced  the new Mrs West to steer the lead car and I shoved us home  with the back car . Yes it bent the bumper  on the car pushing and pissed her off  to the point she considered leaving me, but after bragging what a great job she did, she got over it. I was pushing a  71 Ford LTD "BILL BLASS EDITION" hardtop with a then perfect original 1968 Ford Fairlane fastback red on red. I was quite proud of myself until I had to buy a new  bumper for the Fairlane.   Since then she has pulled, shoved  and winched  well over 100 cars. My dad used to say she must really love you...

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

While my wife never said anything about my car collecting I thought it would be wise to try to get her interested in a hobby too so she wouldn't complain about all the time and money I spent on my collection.  I  suggested collecting dolls.  Big mistake.  Today I have 10 cars but she has over 300 dolls!

• Haha 1