Chrysler building maintenance

Now that's courage...

I'm sure some will say it's stupidity but for those of us who have worked at heights (that's over 6' btw Pete and the other mods who sit behind a cpu ;)) working at heights can be very rewarding in many ways.

Lucky sob in my opinion.... to be one of a handful of guys who can say they have been to the top of the Chrysler building is insanely brave.

Maybe it's incase he drops his phone? 

I'd bet it's incase one of the stainless steel panels he was inspecting came loose.

My first thought was:

I wonder what the maintenance was.. checking on the cell phone reception?

I loved his smile at the end... That feeling of being up high above other buildings while your working is an incredible feeling. 
He was definitely having fun.

• Like 1

If you are on the north shore of long island and in the area of Kings Point where Walter Chrysler had his home ( today the Merchant Marine Academy) you can look west to New York City and see the Chrysler building glint in the sun as the sun reflects off the stainless steel. W.P. Chrysler could walk out his back door and observe this while having breakfast or coffee on his patio.

There are tours of the Chrysler building ( or were before the virus) and an elevator ride will take you almost to the top. the interior of the elevators is art deco woodwork at its finest. To walk around in the crown and look out the pointed arched windows and out off one of the eagles heads from inside is a wonderful life experience. If you ever visit NY City you need to do this.

Just a short walk away out the door of the Chrysler building is Grand Central station which also has a magnificent lobby to view and you will pass by the Hotel Commodore where the custom body salons were held each Fall up until 1932.

• Like 1

I have been as high as 150' in a crane basket inspecting a church steeple. Hanging in a basket isnt too bad. Clinging to the side of the spire is a different animal!! I have set steel at 3 stories high, which is plenty high enough for me. Im not really afraid of heights, but not crazy about it either. 

• Like 1

I could probably have done that years ago. I used to climb communications towers quite a bit. A well built tower up to a couple hundred feet is hard work, but never bothered me. I have gone up towers over 150 feet without a safety belt many times (don't tell OSHA!).

I served 25 years as a firefighter in an engine company. We were required to do crossover training with a ladder company, in case we were required to get to a roof. The ladder we had to go up on was a 100' tiller with four 25' sections that telescope into each other. The higher you climb the narrower the sections got and you are in full turnout gear including your air pack. When you got to the top they rotated the ladder 360 degrees and you then came down. I can't believe I didn't poop and pee my pants. The guy on the Chrysler Building is insane, they can't pay me enough!

• Like 2

Just a historical tidbit.  The Chrysler and Empire State Buildings were going up around the same time, and they competed against each other to be the tallest building.  When the Empire State topped out at the 86th floor it was taller than the Chrysler.  But Chrysler's builders had a trick up their sleeve.  The spear at the top of the building was secretly being constructed inside the upper stories of the building, and once it was complete they jacked it up through the top in order to reclaim the title of the tallest  building!   But then the Empire State had the zeppelin mooring mast added to the top which brought it to 102 stories, and it reclaimed the title.  Interestingly, no zeppelin ever successfully moored to the mast- the winds are too strong and unpredictable.   

• Like 3

I was up in the pinnacle area below the spire as an apprentice for a few days in the late 70's there are no windows up there and it was FULL of pigeons! The contractor I was working for was doing an exterior lighting job and the freight cars stopped a few floors below so everything had to be carried up stairs. Work rules prevented apprentices from going 'outside'. It was a pretty cool experience.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2021 at 9:40 AM, 28 Chrysler said:

I have been up on radio antenna towers and the move in the wind     not fun, the bear ground  would be only a tad softer.

The powerplant I worked at had two 880' chimneys. FAA required lights on them to warn aircraft and they were also used by pilots to navigate. Both Langley and Seymour Johnson AFBs used them in flight training runs. Impressive to see jets thundering thru there.

I had to go up one of them once to change a lamp. The thing swayed and oscillated about 15 feet at the top. Let's just say I was happy to come down and even happier when my cross-training with the electricians was done and I went back to being an Operator. I had to go up nearly 450 feet on boiler structures but I had a catwalk grating floor under me instead of a cage ladder.

The things you'll do when you're young, fearless and stupid.

• Like 5

On 7/6/2021 at 7:12 AM, Pete O said:

Meh, he's not so brave.  The brave guy is the one who went up before him and tied that rigging in place 😉

Mark was the one who put his own rigging in place. Does that mean he gets double the medals for bravery?

A glimpse of how it's done. 

On 7/5/2021 at 1:54 PM, Peter Gariepy said:

is it me... or isnt the protective headgear just a little unnecessary? :)

Not really. If he falls and is caught by his safety gear he may get slammed up against the structure.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

I served 25 years as a firefighter in an engine company. We were required to do crossover training with a ladder company, in case we were required to get to a roof. The ladder we had to go up on was a 100' tiller with four 25' sections that telescope into each other. The higher you climb the narrower the sections got and you are in full turnout gear including your air pack. When you got to the top they rotated the ladder 360 degrees and you then came down. I can't believe I didn't poop and pee my pants. The guy on the Chrysler Building is insane, they can't pay me enough!

Thanks for your service to your community! 👍

On 7/5/2021 at 2:54 PM, Peter Gariepy said:

is it me... or isnt the protective headgear just a little unnecessary? :)

In a situation like that there is never too much safety involved. Don't forget eventually the task required will be above the workers head risking possible injury

I would venture to say that worker was replacing the aircraft warning light, no other reason to be up there. That would fall under the jurisdiction of the union I worked through, Local 3 IBEW. The guys who climb are a pretty elite group and there were not many them.

Heights scare me...not much will get me more. Even a little step ladder is too high for me. You can make fun of me if you want to, it's pretty embarrassing...

Here's a shot from the other end, which I took in March of this year, looking straight up the Chrysler Building from 42nd Street in NY, as part of my driving tour of the city. 

2v2a28GCLx2zUmm.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John348 said:

I posted this photo before on another thread, this was taken of me 35 years ago (give or take) across from the Marriot Marque in Times Square. 

Scan_20200708 (2).jpg

Nice safety gear, LOL.  Just dont look down. Im ok with heights as long as im on something solid. Its when things start to sway that gets me.

I also had done some work in some of the surrounding buildings around the Chrysler Building and it is amazing at the minute details that can't be seen by many people, real art deco stuff.

That photo above taken of me was around this time of year I had just bought a new camera to take on vacation. I bought it in Times Square and took it in to test it out before we left. The red circled area is approximately where the photo was taken on the raw steel by my partner. We still keep in touch every week to this day. Very seldom photos were taken in the pre-cell phone era. Really a shame, some of the greatest views were never captured

Inkedny028_LI.jpg

• Like 3