65 Riviera GS wheelcovers

1 hour ago, Rivdrivn said:

Correct for ‘65 Riviera Gran Sport only, but looks great on any car.

A73F371C-A87D-411C-BA59-0879298769FE.jpeg

I like them that’s why I thought they were worth breathing life back in to the ones I have. I might even make up a set for 63.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rivdrivn said:

Correct for ‘65 Riviera Gran Sport only, but looks great on any car.

A73F371C-A87D-411C-BA59-0879298769FE.jpeg

Hi Steve,

These wheel covers were standard on the '65 Gran Sport but were available in the accessories catalog thru Buick parts...so technically, they can be considered a "correct accessory" on any '65. I once came across a very original '65 for which the owners had original paperwork from the dealer which included mention of installing these caps.

Also, the '66 parts books list these caps as the "first type" Riv GS hubcaps...I've never come across a '66 with these hubcaps but I do have a period pic which appears to be a '66 dealer introduction which clearly shows these hubcaps on a new '66 Riv.

I also have an NOS hubcap which has the '66 part number, which is different from the '65 part number, on the box.

Tom

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

so technically, they can be considered a "correct accessory" on any '65. I

Tom, I noticed on the 1963 Silver Arrow

had wire wheels and a center cap like center cap I made. I cannot remember the manager’s name at GM heading up the Riviera car, Bill (?).

How would a wheel  on a regular driver like my 63 that is the same as the wheel on a zRiviera prototype be viewed? The wheel on the prototype was not mass produced. I’m supposing I have a copy of a prototype on my car. It’s true Bill Mitchell changed up wheels and wheelcovers on prototype Riviera’s.

Turbinator

Probably the same way the extended front end, pancaked hood, two tone paint, and chopped top would be viewed, but 1st generation Rivieras on wire wheels are good looking. Just don’t expect to register it at an ROA meet as stock.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, RivNut said:

but 1st generation Rivieras on wire wheels are good looking. Just don’t expect to register it at an ROA meet as stock.

Agreed, and I’m ok with that😁

Those GS caps are cool too

F9A545EA-1F40-4A1D-85EB-022ED0F2F582.jpeg

0D11A2A1-09A4-4A69-9212-E25CB6BA830C.jpeg

EB274C06-F2A1-4608-8634-6D44E82A0A0E.jpeg

Edited by 71GS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Steve,

These wheel covers were standard on the '65 Gran Sport but were available in the accessories catalog thru Buick parts...so technically, they can be considered a "correct accessory" on any '65. I once came across a very original '65 for which the owners had original paperwork from the dealer which included mention of installing these caps.

Also, the '66 parts books list these caps as the "first type" Riv GS hubcaps...I've never come across a '66 with these hubcaps but I do have a period pic which appears to be a '66 dealer introduction which clearly shows these hubcaps on a new '66 Riv.

I also have an NOS hubcap which has the '66 part number, which is different from the '65 part number, on the box.

Tom

Just curious Tom, If they were listed in the accessory catalog in 1965, could you get one for a Wildcat with the correct emblem?  Thanks.

Pat

13 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Tom, I noticed on the 1963 Silver Arrow

had wire wheels and a center cap like center cap I made. I cannot remember the manager’s name at GM heading up the Riviera car, Bill (?).

How would a wheel  on a regular driver like my 63 that is the same as the wheel on a zRiviera prototype be viewed? The wheel on the prototype was not mass produced. I’m supposing I have a copy of a prototype on my car. It’s true Bill Mitchell changed up wheels and wheelcovers on prototype Riviera’s.

Turbinator

Hi Bob,

I think it would be viewed as a copy of a prototype part, not a listed and widely available production car accessory.

Tom

16 minutes ago, Pat Curran said:

Just curious Tom, If they were listed in the accessory catalog in 1965, could you get one for a Wildcat with the correct emblem?  Thanks.

Pat

Hi Pat,

I have never seen this hubcap with a Wildcat emblem....although it could be easily done.

Interestingly enough, I have factory literature which displays a wire wheel hubcap for the Wildcat with a Wildcat emblem but I have never seen one in the field. Every Wildcat I have ever inspected with wire wheel hubcaps has the red, white and blue trishield emblem in the hubcaps...and I have been looking for several decades. I dont think Buick ever manufactured a wire wheel hubcap with the Wildcat emblem...I hope I`m wrong.

Tom

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Pat,

I have never seen this hubcap with a Wildcat emblem....although it could be easily done.

Interestingly enough, I have factory literature which displays a wire wheel hubcap for the Wildcat with a Wildcat emblem but I have never seen one in the field. Every Wildcat I have ever inspected with wire wheel hubcaps has the red, white and blue trishield emblem in the hubcaps...and I have been looking for several decades. I dont think Buick ever manufactured a wire wheel hubcap with the Wildcat emblem...I hope I`m wrong.

Tom

I have never seen one either Tom.  Thanks for the quick reply.

Pat

The nice thing about wheels (and wheel covers) is that they allow the owner to make a bold style statement without any permanent modifications to the car.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, EmTee said:

The nice thing about wheels (and wheel covers) is that they allow the owner to make a bold style statement without any permanent modifications to the car.  ;)

EmTee, you are right. I happen to be extremely happy with Turbine wheel covers. One reason I like them so much is the cover bolts on the wheel and looks like a wheel. For me I copied the copy of a wire wheel. The 63 had wire wheel cover and fake spinner to give the illusion of European style? Truth the wire wheel cover was made to imitate a wire wheel. I’ve always like wire wheels. So, I thought I’d put on my own wire wheels ( TruSpoke) and build my center cap assembly with the 63 TriShield and original spinner. Although my wire wheels and center cap assembly are not what came off the production line, they are real wire wheels the original wire wheel cover copied. In one of Bill Mitchell’s Riviera prototypes he has wire wheels and center cap assembly like mine minus the tower.

Heartily agree a set of wheels and tires can make a statement about the owner. Now how the visual of the tires and wheels strikes people could be whatever. Who cares? It’s your car outfit the car how you like. I appreciate pride of ownership more than the personal taste of the owner. Color, stance, wheels tires may not be what I like, BUT the owner has the car immaculate. I can appreciate how a person takes care of their chariot.

Turbinator

• Like 1

To anyone who has owned an older English sports car - mine was a 1957 Austin-Healey 100-6 - a wire wheel isn't authentic unless it has a spliced hub, a true knock-off spinner, and a big brass hammer in the trunk.