Thread Lock on Rod Nuts?

MochetVelo

I'm replacing the connecting rod nuts on my 1924 Citroen engine. They do not use cotter pins, and were originally secured with punch marks on the nuts. Would red or blue Loctite be useful here?

Phil

I would not use Loctite as you are supposed to use heat to remove nuts that have been Loctited on.  I would use the same method they came with or peen the ends of the bolts as they do when attaching brake drums to wooden wheels.

If your swaying off 100%  original assembly methods, I would also check the nut and thread size and see if modern automotive  self-locking "rod"nuts, to fit are available and if possible new rod bolts to match and fit your rods and caps.. 

Many a Model T and other vintage cars with rebuilt con- rods have these modern bolts and nuts and on Model T are just torqued  to 35 foot pounds and they stay on! 😌 

I use blue Loctite on almost every fastener on my cars. It comes apart with a wrench, not heat, and is just a little extra insurance to keep things from moving around. It can't hurt.