Tires and judging

First let me start by saying this is not a big deal to me and just curious what is best from a judging or national award standpoint. I am not big on awards and points things but has my curiosity. I just love building cars to the most original I can and not worried about points but I have a question about tires. I was at Auburn and thought I understood that radials automatically disqualify a car from a national award? Is this correct? I very well could have misunderstood that. My 1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire had the 15 inch wheel option with a 6.00-15 tires size and a 1 inch whitewall. See pictures below for the correct tires but over 50 years old. These set flat from the 70's till 2015 and has cut the outer layer of the sidewall from the rim setting on them for decades. They do hold air though. There are no bias ply tires made or reproduced that I can find in this size with less than a 2 5/8 whitewall. That is way to wide and would look funny on my car. Blackwall is not correct and I feel also looks funny on these cars but those are available. There is a 3/4 whitewall available in a radial and is what I chose to go with because the whitewall is more important to me than any of the other things about the tire. As for judging or awards, what is best out of the following options? 

.bias ply tire with a 2 5/8 white wall that is way to wide

.bias ply blackwall when it should be whitewall

.radial with a close to correct 3/4 whitewall

.put on the bad 50 year old tires just for the show and only drive from trailer to show field

Sadly, the standard 13 inch wheel has the same problems with finding correct tires.

IMG_6599.JPG

IMG_6601.JPG

Ditto to both. My first large show, with tons of cool Buicks, and many other cars to ogle.

As for radials, they were an option for mine, too and mine was bought new with them, but I don't know how judges treat that when there is an option. I guess you'd have to prove it somehow??

19 hours ago, Golden73 said:

Ditto to both. My first large show, with tons of cool Buicks, and many other cars to ogle.

As for radials, they were an option for mine, too and mine was bought new with them, but I don't know how judges treat that when there is an option. I guess you'd have to prove it somehow??

Yes, you would need to provide factory documentation on an optional tire.  If there is a question from the Judging Team, the Captain will approach you.  Best place to look first is in the owner's manual.

The Best way to deal with the fact that you cannot find the right size tire is to contact the VP of Judging.  

There are owners who want to run radials when they are not showing, so they buy two sets of proper wheels.

"Tire Documentation

Owners not able to find a correct replacement tire should send a letter to the VP Judging indicating the specific size of the correct tire and that at least two tire manufacturers have been contacted and the correct tire is not available. Tires one size larger or smaller are acceptable. A letter from the VP Judging is the ONLY AACA ACCEPTED documentation regarding a vehicles' substitute tires. Any letter issued by the VP Judging should be shown to the Team Captain at the time of vehicle judging. IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT THE TEAM CAPTAIN ASK FOR DOCUMENTATION FOR ANY TIRE THAT IS QUESTIONED BY THE CHASSIS JUDGE OR DOES NOT MEET THE FIRST YEAR OF MANUFACTURE GUIDELINES LISTED BELOW. Some manufacturers offered a radial tire – for specific vehicle(s) - as a factory authorized option to the standard issue ply tire. The use of red line radials on a vehicle should be accompanied with documentation. It is advisable to seek documentation from the vehicle 2-23 owner when a tire size or type is in question. This is especially so in cases of limited production, specialty vehicles, and foreign made vehicles..."

"b. RADIAL TIRES (e.g., 185R14, 175R13, etc.), Domestic Cars. (Factory documentation is required for any vehicle with radial tires prior to the years listed below.) Some domestic manufacturers offered these tires as early as 1967, such as Buick and Oldsmobile. It is possible that others may have offered them as well. BEFORE taking any deductions, the Team Captain will ask the owner for documentation. Note: European built vehicles can be much earlier. Japanese vehicles 1967, possibly earlier. c. LOW PROFILE METRIC RADIALS (e.g., P195/70R13, P195/70VR14). Domestic Cars as early as 1979. European cars 1969*, Japanese cars 1975*. 

Edited by Phillip Cole
additions (see edit history)

Radials were not an option for my car from the factory. I was not meaning to sound like that. Just that the white wall options available today are not even close to original in a bias ply tire. I chose to go with a radial because it was the closest whitewall option. To me a correct whitewall is more important than the style of tire. 

Edited by jensenracing77 (see edit history)

I would suggest you contact Diamondback Radial tires in South Carolina and explain your situation and ask them if you purchase a set of the correct size but blackwall bias ply tires could they install a whitewall of the correct width on your tires. If they won't do it I bet they can tell you of a place that can. Good luck