1934 Rolls-Royce 20/25 Freestone and Webb Cool Body $24,500

So if I was going to be a car dealer I would want to be Peter Kumar.   Why?  Because 75% of his cars are projects.   Which means that when some dude buys an 80 year old car from you they can't come back and complain the cigarette lighter doesn't work.    I'm sure Matt knows what I'm talking about.

I'm going through one of my momentary infatuations that sometimes leads me to wondering how I got stuck with some obscure sh*b*x.  This is the baby Rolls which normally I wouldn't pay a lot of attention to,  except I love the Freestone and Webb body!

https://www.gullwingmotorcars.com/1934-rolls-royce-20-25-freestone-c-4326.htm

This 1934 Rolls-Royce 20/25 Freestone and Webb is a highly original example that's ready for straightforward restoration. Chassis GRC46 wears older black paint with a usable original interior with lots of patina throughout its woodwork and green leather. Very attractive and elegant body with good door fit. The motor is currently out and apart. The car comes complete other than its Flying Lady. A car with a lot of potential and that's well worth the effort to restore. This 1934 Rolls-Royce 20/25 Freestone and Webb is quite the rare find and represents an exciting opportunity for its next loving owner.  

RollsFreestoneAndWeb-3.jpg

RollsFreestoneAndWeb-2.jpg

RollsFreestoneAndWeb-1.jpg

• Like 3

I also once had an infatuation  for a Rolls Royce 20/25 .  It too had an attractive body and was running but in need of a lot of work.  The infatuation lasted too long but sanity prevailed and I passed on it.

later I helped a friend strip one of these cars back to the chassis for a complete restoration.  It was the most complicated car I have ever seen, by far.  It made me very glad I passed on the one that previously had me infatuated. 

If you go ahead with this one do so with your eyes (and check book) wide open.  It certainly looks good.

• Like 1

Yep, guy in one of my Model A groups has been trying to sell one out of MA for some time, 20k, running, with a solid but much less attractive 6 window limo type body.  5 minutes of  "I could do this" and, "how cool would that be"...  followed by the reality of what would lie ahead.

For an experienced RR person though, the subject car here has great styling.  Hope it gets the restoration it deserves.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I recall a 1970's article detailing the development of the 20/25 that posited the Buick six cylinder was the benchmark for the design engineering of the engine and chassis, adjusted for the domestic English market.   What say Rolls-Royce 20/25 enthusiasts?  Truth or bunk?

The motor is currently out and apart...........let’s see, why don’t we do a count on how many people drawing breath today could properly reassemble it and make it correct........? Would we need two hands? Or only one?

39 minutes ago, edinmass said:

The motor is currently out and apart...........let’s see, why don’t we do a count on how many people drawing breath today could properly reassemble it and make it correct........? Would we need two hands? Or only one?

well, I’m friendly with you.

I do know a local guy other than Ed who does his own wrenching on Springfields, not sure if he knows these at all.  Maybe across the pond where they are getting ready to recognize Treason Day tomorrow, as one of my UK pals says every year. 😁

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

32 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I do know a local guy other than Ed who does his own wrenching on Springfields, not sure if he knows these at all.  Maybe across the pond where they are getting ready to recognize Treason Day tomorrow, as one of my UK pals says every year. 😁

everything in life comes down to perspective. 

image.jpeg

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, John Bloom said:

everything in life comes down to perspective. 

image.jpeg

That's awesome!

Back on topic, I like looking at Mr. K's offerings. I always feel that car "X" for $89,900 is an over-priced parts car, until later in the listing I find the $475,900 Ferrari needing restoration it goes with. A great business model. I wonder which vehicle one has the ability to negotiate down....

40 minutes ago, prewarnut said:

That's awesome!

Back on topic, I like looking at Mr. K's offerings. I always feel that car "X" for $89,900 is an over-priced parts car, until later in the listing I find the $475,900 Ferrari needing restoration it goes with. A great business model. I wonder which vehicle one has the ability to negotiate down....

I think it is a genius business model.  

He has had the V12 Lagonda for a long time,  maybe 2 years?  I'll bet there is room on that one.    Part of being a dealer is being patient enough to wait.   I'm sure Matt can fill us in on the math equation.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 7/3/2021 at 10:22 AM, 58L-Y8 said:

I recall a 1970's article detailing the development of the 20/25 that posited the Buick six cylinder was the benchmark for the design engineering of the engine and chassis, adjusted for the domestic English market.   What say Rolls-Royce 20/25 enthusiasts?  Truth or bunk?

I believe that but engineering between RR and Buick could not be more different.  More about how the car performs?   I recall an antidote about the development of the PIII where the early cars did not have the performance of a Buick Eight which led to more development, power, etc.   Not sure why Buick always comes up as a reference point and maybe my memory is BS.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 8:11 AM, alsancle said:

I believe that but engineering between RR and Buick could not be more different.  More about how the car performs?   I recall an antidote about the development of the PIII where the early cars did not have the performance of a Buick Eight which led to more development, power, etc.   Not sure why Buick always comes up as a reference point and maybe my memory is BS.

I can rebuild both a RR and Buick (been there and done that) just takes a small village, a check writing ability, resourcefulness, possibly stupidity, and ..... - anyway I would take on a 20hp, 20/25, or 25/30 via 100 times greater enthusiasm than a PI, PII, or PIII, but the only problem is that for most of the cars you need a near free PI, PII, or PIII to offset rebuild costs.   

Sidenote: take a PI apart and then tell me about rebuilding one (they were pretty mindblowing advanced when new and for that matter in their own way still are). 

Add'L sidenote:  I was at friend's shop and his machinist took apart a rather exotic motor and then made a pile of parts that needed replaced - they called me and asked for advice as they could not find the parts.  Well, let's just I was kind in a rather brutal kind of way.   A Rolls Royce is a lot like that - just saying.  

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1