1961-1964 Buick mufflers, NOS

These are new old stock full-size Buick mufflers for dual exhaust cars, 1961-1964, and one is the wider diameter for 1965 Riviera GS. These are not after-market mufflers, but NOS Buick parts. $175 each, plus shipping.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

IMG_1672.JPG

Hi, Pete. Is my memory correct, that there several different part numbers for the transverse mufflers of this vintage? I seem to recall that the muffler and the part # for the 1963-64 RIVIERA is different from the transverse muffler found on the other big BUICK's (think Electra) of the same years. I forget what the physical differences are, but I don't believe the mufflers from these two series interchange.

I'm sure BUICK part #'s embossed on the shell of these original mufflers will help someone get to the bottom of this. Good luck with your sale. John

Pete and John,, this may help but may not as, when my 64 Electra arrived from  US  about couple of months ago ,

it had this muffler on it, measures---7/ 1/2inches x 9/1./2 inches  oval, and 35 inches long.

But you may be able to just read on it---nos---1961.   so may not be correct for my car as well,

and notice ,it is  dual exhaust--exits both  left and right ends, and im not sure, but 

think Electra was not dual exhaust.

P1100159.JPG

P1100163.JPG

P1100160.JPG

P1100158.JPG

The Riviera muffler has a 2" diameter inlet and outlet on both ends. The others have a 2" and a 1-3/4" on each end. As you can see from the first photo, one stub is curved and one is straight on each end. They are all like this. Someone tells me the Riviera muffler should have straight stubs all the way around. I don't know whom to believe any more, I just know that these are new old stock mufflers with the part numbers on them, and one has wider diameter than the other four. Try finding some of these at your local muffler shop.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

I can absolutely guarantee you all that the correct Riviera muffler has straight stubs all the way around. I have had at least six NOS 1963-65 Riviera mufflers (but no '65 GS mufflers) over the years.

I have no horse in this race, but, for the life of me, I don't understand why someone hasn't simply decoded the BUICK part numbers embossed on each muffler.  I would do it for you all, but I no longer have a BUICK parts book that covers this vintage.  John

On 7/9/2021 at 9:46 PM, Jolly_John said:

I can absolutely guarantee you all that the correct Riviera muffler has straight stubs all the way around. I have had at least six NOS 1963-65 Riviera mufflers (but no '65 GS mufflers) over the years.

I have no horse in this race, but, for the life of me, I don't understand why someone hasn't simply decoded the BUICK part numbers embossed on each muffler.  I would do it for you all, but I no longer have a BUICK parts book that covers this vintage.  John

Hi John,

I looked up the numbers for Pete and could not find them in the multiple parts books at my disposal. I suspect this is a case in which the part number which appears on the muffler is different than the part number which is catalogued.

Based on appearance, I believe his mufflers to be in the `63-`64 era for the LeSabre, Wildcat and Electra as the first gen Rivieras have straight stubs both in and out of the muffler. My guess is the larger tailpipe stub may be for the Wildcat or Electra based on the possibility they could be equipped with a larger motor as compared to the LeSabre. But again, I could not find a listing in any parts books. I only checked early and mid sixties books because the date of manufacture on the mufflers is mid sixties.

Tom

Good of you to shed some light on the situation, Tom. Yes,  hopefully we can all agree: Riviera transverse mufflers of this vintage have four straight stubs!

And, based on other NOS big series BUICK transverse mufflers I've had over the years, I believe you're spot on, regarding the application for Pete's very nice mufflers. Guys with those cars should be happy to find the proper fitting, genuine BUICK muffler. John

• Like 1