GM"s At Carlisle Pictures

33 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

I haven't seen that many Vegas in one place since the 70s... and a Pontiac Astre too! (Honestly didn't think there were that many left!😜)

Those were feature car this year, right?

The H body cars were a few years ago, maybe 4 or 5 years now.

4 hours ago, rocketraider said:

I haven't seen that many Vegas in one place since the 70s... and a Pontiac Astre too! (Honestly didn't think there were that many left!😜)

Those were feature car this year, right?

Thats too funny. As I was scrolling though the pics my first thought was that " I hadnt seen that many vegas since....." Then I saw your post, LOL.

• Like 1

I wasn’t able to attend, but it seems the number of cars was up this year. The Camaro club left several years ago and apparently enjoys hanging out at the Frederick Fairgrounds with very few spectators; and the Chevelle club is somewhere, but I don’t know where. I owned a Cosworth Vega for many years; and sold it at Carlisle. The sight of the early Vega Wagon makes me think I need one of those. This show will never rival the Ford show or the Mopar show- but hopefully it continues to grow. 

Chevelle club was somewhere in Maryland. 

That's an eclectic mix of cars. I see even a Chrysler slipped in. No El Camino?

13 hours ago, greenie said:

I wasn’t able to attend, but it seems the number of cars was up this year. The Camaro club left several years ago and apparently enjoys hanging out at the Frederick Fairgrounds with very few spectators; and the Chevelle club is somewhere, but I don’t know where. I owned a Cosworth Vega for many years; and sold it at Carlisle. The sight of the early Vega Wagon makes me think I need one of those. This show will never rival the Ford show or the Mopar show- but hopefully it continues to grow. 

Hey Greenie,

I was at Carlisle with my Cosworth (#0718) at the Round-Up a few years ago. I sold it at the last Hershey. The car shrunk! Being your thinking of a Vega Wagon, I am seriously considering selling my Monza Mirage if you are interested PM me.(That car shrunk too!)

Vega wagon: my high school's driver's ed department used student aides to help out on the onsite track. A senior with a good driving record and a study hall could do this. In addition to riding shotgun and being ready to take over if a kid blew up behind the wheel we also had to show the kids how to check the cars over and get them out of the bus garage every morning, and the 6th period aides had to put them up every day. In warm weather 5th and 6th period aides also had to wash the cars on Fridays.

The cars came from local dealers who used them for advertising, with "Driver's Ed car furnished by XXX dealer" signs attached to the roof. Kinda mortifying to a high school kid out on the highway part of DE, but we all got to drive new cars.

The Chevy dealer sent us a yellow 1974 Vega wagon which, at 6'2"/150lb was a little cramped for me even then. My buddy at 6'3" and 180 lbs with size 13 feet found that Vega intolerable. He often said the only thing it had going for it was it was easy to wash.

3 hours ago, John348 said:

Hey Greenie,

I was at Carlisle with my Cosworth (#0718) at the Round-Up a few years ago. I sold it at the last Hershey. The car shrunk! Being your thinking of a Vega Wagon, I am seriously considering selling my Monza Mirage if you are interested PM me.(That car shrunk too!)

Thanks for the offer, but I’ll try to limit my H platform yearnings to a nice original wagon. My Cosworth was #2214 and I attended most of the first 10 roundups- but had sold the car before the event at Carlisle. I did see 2214 briefly at a later Carlisle event- it was for sale with very few additional miles. I drove the thing for many years, putting over 100,000 miles on the original- and a low mileage used engine I found in PA. Over the years it gained a Hutton weber conversion and ran 3 laps at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway during that Roundup. Flat out at 110, four abreast. The guy beside me had a friend video taping out the open hatchback. If Indy was watching the track cameras, we’d all have been tossed out.

It’s weird to see nice examples selling for 30k at auction- but folks now appreciate the ground breaking technology. 

1 hour ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Nice pictures but I must say I am confused by the Pontiac(?) with the red splattered and white paint.  Is this something I should know and as usual missed in popular culture?

It's a wrap, supposed to look like blood from running over pedestrians. I can't fathom the draw nor would I want to be associated with anyone who does, but that's what it is. 

13 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

Chevelle club was somewhere in Maryland. 

That's an eclectic mix of cars. I see even a Chrysler slipped in. No El Camino?

MD Chevelle Club had their annual mid atlantic show in North East MD. Nice little town on the river, top of the Ches Bay. My wife is from there, and we now live about 10 minutes away. The show was this past weekend. Lots of nice cars there. Being that my next project is a 66 conv. I was a bit more interested this time around. Funny thing was though, out of the 200 or so cars there, I think I counted about 3 that were not an SS! Also not a single 6 cylinder. My car has a 6 and after seeing all of the big blocks in those cars think I may restore rather than resto mod. Def be the only 6 at any chevy meet!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

It's a wrap, supposed to look like blood from running over pedestrians. I can't fathom the draw nor would I want to be associated with anyone who does, but that's what it is. 

Thank you Billy for explaining that to the Elderly. Another modern trend that is beyond me.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

2 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Funny thing was though, out of the 200 or so cars there, I think I counted about 3 that were not an SS! Also not a single 6 cylinder. My car has a 6 and after seeing all of the big blocks in those cars think I may restore rather than resto mod. Def be the only 6 at any chevy meet!

If up there is anything like here, probably a THIRD OR MORE were not true SS cars.

There are no 6-cylinder Chevelles because they all got converted to big-blocks.

In late 90s there was an original owner 6 cylinder 3-speed 1971 ElCamino in the Roanoke area AutoTrader. Beige and still wearing whitewalls and wheelcovers. $2500. I said that's me. 

Called soon as I saw it and the seller said it had sold that morning. He said he had messed up because after money and title changed hands the buyer told him next time it was seen it would be a red big-block four-speed.

I have rarely wanted to go after someone and beat hell out of them as bad as I did the guy who bought that trucklet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1