Front or Rear Bumper to ID

STAYGOLD

I agree, looks to be GM, pre-1973. Simple design, no lights in bumper, so that helps in identification.  Can you give us the width of the bumper?  That should help narrow it down.

Thanks for the help...just measured the bumper and it is 77 1/4" wide (overall width).  I also agree that I think it's GM, it has overspray marks on the backside, of that blueish-green rubber coating that was sprayed on the bumper to protect the chrome from scratching in shipping...

• Like 1

Yes, sure sounds like the way GM used to protect their bumpers during shipping.  The bumper width puts it solidly in full-size car territory, so that helps narrow it down ever more. Will have to do some more head-scratching and thinking on this one...

The bumper width measurement really helped narrow it down.  I took that measurement and compared it to my '73 Impala Custom to verify that we were looking for a full-sized car, then it dawned on me- rear bumper for the 1971-1973 Chevrolet full-sized wagons.  The attached photo from http://www.stationwagonforums.com/ shows the usage.  There aren't may good clear photos of the bumper on the internet, but looking at a few different photos from different sources, one can see that the license plate area has the same configuration (four holes for the license plate, flare out of bottom edge up to the license plate area).  The additional hole and space above the plate are for the plate light assembly.  In addition, the two square bolt holes on each side of the bumper face and upper sides match the positioning on the Chevrolet wagons.

march_2017_2009_20008.jpg

• Like 1