OLdsmobiles At Carlisle 2021

cutlasguy

3 hours ago, ted sweet said:

how was total car count?

I suspect that for every 100 Oldsmobiles, there

were 50 Cutlasses and 4-4-2's.  Maybe another

10 were Starfires.  The Oldsmobile club seems to

be very enthusiastic over a narrow range.

I once went to their club tent and told the assembled

members that there was a very rare 1929 Viking 

convertible on the market.  That rare marque lasted

only 2 years and was a companion car to Oldsmobile.

I figured they would be very interested.  But their response

was as uninterested as, "Oh, that's nice.  Want a Coke?"

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Regarding Oldsmobile muscle cars, they rank near the top of my favorite MCs - period.  Still, I can’t get nearly as worked up over them as just about any earlier Oldsmobile, regardless of model or body style.  

Don’t hate me for saying this, but muscle cars seem practically ubiquitous at car shows, and they are all over the internet.  My preference for non-muscle cars can probably be traced back to high school.  A few of the kids from upscale families had Mustangs, Camaros, 442s, etc.  These guys loved to look down on those who drove regular hand-me-down cars inherited from parents or other relatives.

l am in NO WAY saying that anyone who owns one acts like that or feels that way.  Regardless, I am not gonna forget those memories from high school.  Burned into my psyche, I imagine.

I should probably consider therapy, or thurpy, as it is pronounced in the south.

Edited by Dosmo (see edit history)

16 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I suspect that for every 100 Oldsmobiles, there

were 50 Cutlasses and 4-4-2's.  Maybe another

10 were Starfires.  The Oldsmobile club seems to

be very enthusiastic over a narrow range.

I once went to their club tent and told the assembled

members that there was a very rare 1929 Viking 

convertible on the market.  That rare marque lasted

only 2 years and was a companion car to Oldsmobile.

I figured they would be very interested.  But their response

was as uninterested as, "Oh, that's nice.  Want a Coke?"

I have seen this very thing. I’m a member of the NAOC and I’ve been hesitant to join any other Oldsmobile club for the reason many other Olds clubs don’t seem to care that there were Oldsmobiles made before the 50’s. Even on the pages of this forum I’ve seen where I’ve made factual statements contrary to statements made by later era Olds owners with  some refusing to acknowledge their statement was incorrect. No one learns anything if we’re unwilling to admit when we’re wrong in our assumptions and are unwilling to acknowledge when someone has made us aware of our incorrect beliefs. This is why many still get things wrong as they read an incorrect statement from someone considered a forum “guru” and take it as gospel. If that guru is questioned, they get arrogant and forum allowable, demeaning rather than admitting they’re wrong.

There are a few more pics on classicoldsmobile.com but I didn't get a total car count. Looked pretty impressive compared to other Carlisle GMs I've attended. Several Oldsmobiles took home the gold including a 69 Hurst that beat out a lot of high-point Chevrolets.

I'm still wondering how, with all its inaccuracies, that red 66 Toronado ever garnered an AACA Senior. SMH...

5 hours ago, ted sweet said:

total cars?

Ted:  Carlisle Events 717) 243-7855

Being a "For Profit" business I suspect totals are not publicized.   AACA Meets are made public as we are a non-profit 501-(C) 

Just my 2 cents.