1936 Cord, Model 810 Scam or Stupid Ad - you tell me.

A new entrant in our worst advertisements of all time.   I'm leaning scam.   I'm happy he points out that is dust and not the paint color.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393415149115

This is a 1936 Cord Model 810 that I purchased years ago. The car run and drive great. I haven't had it on the road in three years due to health issue, as you can see from the pictures. The car is dusty. This is part of my car collections that I'm selling. Please contact me with any questions or if you would like additional pics. 330-four two one-8625

DustyCord.JPG

Well, the seller has only one feedback on Ebay, which isn't a killer but not much to go on as far as reliability.  I'd want to personally see car before making a bid.

Why anyone would advertise a 40K+ car and not get the dust off it is beyond my comprehension.

Also, a Cord that has been sitting for three years DOES NOT "run and drive great".  It only "runs and drives great" if you can start it up and go around the patch with it.  Three years sitting, doubt that's the case here.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Also, a Cord that has been sitting for three years DOES NOT "run and drive great".  It only "runs and drives great" if you can start it up and go around the patch with it.  Three years sitting, doubt that's the case here.

Truer words were never spoken.

"Ran when parked".  Could be legit. Def would want to see the car in person. May be 'health forcing the sale', if thats the case the seller may not even have the ability to pull the car out and wash it. Looks like an unfinished project beside it. No idea on the value of these cars to know if its a bs price or a good one.  Looks like they were sanding drywall and forgot to cover the cars beforehand!

18 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

330 is local to me and I have no idea whose car this could be.

Matt:  Your assignment today, should you choose, is to investigate this Cord and its situation.  Inquiring minds want to know...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

330 is local to me and I have no idea whose car this could be.

That is not surprising if the car was not used much or not at all. I used to live about 6 city blocks from a townhouse complex that had a Duesenberg in 1 of the garages. Never knew it until it was being moved out of the garage. The time frame was a period of about 10 years.

Matt's statement and my experience I mention here is exactly why a giant red flag goes up for me when I see 1 of X number in existence.

I grew up in a town of 25,000 people, and was a car person from the time I was 13 in the 1960s.  I knew all the car guys in town, I knew all the cars....or so I thought.  In the late 70s, I ran across a 1933 Packard V-12 convertible coupe, which had been sitting under a carport behind a solid fence (thus not visible from the street) since the late 1950s.

Yes, it was for sale, and yes, I tried to buy it, laying lots of hundreds on the owner's coffee table in his living room.  Couldn't make a deal, a shiftless dealer in Little Rock bought it (there's a story there I won't go into).

Point is that some cars are hidden quite well and not talked about.....

• Like 2

As to price or value, I know of a non-running, all original Cord sedan that was complete and in very nice condition, but not running.  It sold in the $30K range.  The buyer had it running and shifting after a week or so.  

His asking price is not outrageous, it's just that it's a pig in a poke if not running.  The list of things that could be wrong is lengthy, as those who know, know.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, trimacar said:

As to price or value, I know of a non-running, all original Cord sedan that was complete and in very nice condition, but not running.  It sold in the $30K range.  The buyer had it running and shifting after a week or so.  

His asking price is not outrageous, it's just that it's a pig in a poke if not running.  The list of things that could be wrong is lengthy, as those who know, know.

That buyer must have known Cords.   I agree with everything you are saying.  

Called and left a message. We shall see.  But I am leaning toward scam.  It would be unusual if he has a collection and no one in the area knows about it number 1.  Number 2 the misspellings in the copy.  And the way the phone number is spelled out not written numerically.  All red flags. I always approach everything with a high level of mistrust.  Maybe that's why I'm single LOL!

He called back and not only is he legit he is an awesome guy!  I love it when I'm wrong.

His name is Shawn L. Ritchie and he owns Medina Plating in Ohio.  He is fighting cancer but the guy is so full of energy I have no doubt he will beat it.  He had a TV show a few years back called Island Hunter where they found islands and turned them into resorts.  He has a collection of about 30 cars - mostly GTO's and American metal from the 50's through the 70's although right now he is just selling the Cord.  He was saving the cars for his sons - neither of which took an interest in his passion (don't I know that story).  

He laughed that a lot of people thought he was a scammer and said that they are welcome to come and see the car in person (although someone is coming to see it tonight).

My scammer radar failed me miserably! 

Edited by supercargirl (see edit history)
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

"And the way the phone number is spelled out not written numerically."

This is done so spam bots can't collect phone numbers from advertisement and feed them to the spam nuisance call computers. 

Wow that explains why I get so many spam calls - my phone number is in advertising everywhere and on posts.  I rarely answer my phone anymore it is so bad.  Thank you for that valuable tip.

On 6/28/2021 at 7:20 AM, TAKerry said:

"Ran when parked".  Could be legit. Def would want to see the car in person. May be 'health forcing the sale', if thats the case the seller may not even have the ability to pull the car out and wash it. Looks like an unfinished project beside it. No idea on the value of these cars to know if its a bs price or a good one.  Looks like they were sanding drywall and forgot to cover the cars beforehand!

The car next to the Cord is a 1939 LaSalle. I REALLY like those cars!

The owner has updated his pictures in the listing.  A few included here.  I've been looking for an 810.  It now appears the paint may be good under the dust.  And the interior may be useable for awhile, although the dash/gauges and steering column could use some attention.  That leaves the drivetrain - a pic of the engine bay is included.  For those with direct experience with Cords, I have a question.  Clearly the engine is not detailed - I'd say it probably wasn't that clean before it sat the last three years.  Anyone see any things out of place or modified in the engine bay that are either good or cause for concern?  I'm torn between buying a decent survivor vs. a restored/sorted show car.  Thanks for any input.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

• Like 1

Well, under hood is one of those cheap fuel pressure regulators in the fuel line, which means electric fuel pump added.  A fire waiting to happen in my opinion.  Wrong air filter of course, and there’s a small tank which have no idea what function would be. Horn not correct.  Poor plastic wiring hither and yon.

Would it keep someone from buying?  Maybe not, but I see a lot of sorting out to do for new owner.  Sorting out Cords, 810 and 812, is best left to well versed, or someone very mechanically inclined and willing to learn.

Appears to be a early 1936 Westchester  with the flat back trunk and it would not have pleated interior seats. I say it’s a early 1936 because the way the firewall was patched, it may have had the cowl oil and filter tubes coming from the passenger cowl vent. I don’t see the finger grip indentation on the cowl vent but that wouldn’t rule out it has been changed. If it was a   1936 arm chair Beverly with the flat back trunk, the seats would be all together different.

HI everyone,

I received a phone call yesterday (and a follow up this morning) from the owner of the 1936 Cord asking me to sell the car for him.  He is quite a pistol and just a generally great guy.  He bought this car because he loved it.  Never had a chance to drive it and now personal circumstances are forcing him to sell.  It is located near Akron OH.

He posted the car on ebay (that is where the current pictures on the forum are from).  He has never been on this site and was amused when I told him about the thread.  I have attached the tags for the car.  It does not have the original engine (it now has FB 411).  It does run.

His asking price on ebay was $42,000.00.  Let me know what questions I can answer.  I will be moving the thread into the for sale section at some point.

Kely

tag 1.jpg

Tag2.jpg

If it is a running/driving car and the cosmetics look as good in person as the pictures I think it is priced in the right ball park.

I feel bad for the title of this thread, but his first advertisement was terrible.

No one doubted him more than me.  You should have seen his ebay write up.  I told him he sounded like a Nigerian Prince.  Let me see if I can get a video of the car starting from a cold start.  See if there are any leaks underneath and if there is smoke.  He is not near the car but might be able to get someone at the facility to do it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, supercargirl said:

No one doubted him more than me.  You should have seen his ebay write up.  I told him he sounded like a Nigerian Prince.  Let me see if I can get a video of the car starting from a cold start.  See if there are any leaks underneath and if there is smoke.  He is not near the car but might be able to get someone at the facility to do it.

If I was selling a Cord,  I would make a video of starting the car and then shifting it through all the gears (while moving).

6 hours ago, alsancle said:

If I was selling a Cord,  I would make a video of starting the car and then shifting it through all the gears (while moving).

You have a supercharged convertible coupe.  All you will have to do is pick up the phone.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mike brady said:

You have a supercharged convertible coupe.  All you will have to do is pick up the phone.

You can see I'm sensitive about going through the gears.   I'm getting that cover off this week, hopefully.  I had to order a 12 point socket to get that one tight bolt head. 

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

I think it is a fair price for a running/driving cosmetically decent car.    It is the running/driving part that can create a decent swing in value.

I agree, and the swing in value is much higher on a Cord than a, uh, normal collectible car….

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, trimacar said:

I agree, and the swing in value is much higher on a Cord than a, uh, normal collectible car….

I was talking to our pal Ed the other day and we were both lamenting the time it takes to “know” a car.  You only have so many bullets in your lifetime gun before times up.  The Cord is a great car but that knowing part takes a little more effort than your Model A Ford.