Just an Update on our 32 -97

CTCV

We are up and running. Dual points were a bit tricky but running great.

Had an odd timing issue I thought funny after solving. I adjusted the points to what I thought should be correct. The engine had a bad stumble. Adjusted again and the engine smoothed out. This is prior the first drive in probably over 60 years. Went for a ride everything sounded good , smooth running , just a small stumble on acceleration. Took it to maybe 30 MPH. Trans good. Rear good. Brakes good. Back to the garage. Inside i seem to smell raw fuel. Just thought the carb was too rich. Decided to throw the timing light on and the light is not flashing. I thought my light was bad or wouldn't run off the 6volts. Eventually I decided to put the sensor clip on the other spark wires to find out only four were firing. Replaced both points with new. Fired it up sounded smooth but different. And no raw fuel. Took it for another ride. Ah there comes the torque. Really need to have all 8 banging. 45 on a high idle.

Tony741803462_BuickUpdate.jpg.651bd442eda32125d026081f48feefb2.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks for the link Mark.

I'll tell you what I have concluded was the misfire issue. The original points in the distributor were the type that had an all metal base plate and an all metal contact arm. One set had an insulating thin washer under the arm on the pivot pin keeping the arm and base plate separated. I believe I was shorting out and dropping 4 of the cylinders. Regardless the accuracy of my tuning that misfire was not going away. The new set of points have a nylon arm and no way to short to the base plate. Runs like a champ now.

A little info about my motor. 344 , head and block surfaces cut down and running the thin gasket. Original cam has a custom grind. Custom pushrods and new rollers on the lifters. Of course bored and new pistons. New timing gears, water pump impeller,  gaskets etc. I believe my compression should be 15 or 20% higher than the stock HC . 45 psi of oil pressure and temp does not seem to get over 165 no mater what. One day when I have the guts I want to see how it handles at 60 or 70 mph.

Thanks again.

Tony

• Like 1

Ok Matt call at your convenience. One bit of good news. I found the guy that had the original headlights from the 32 and I bought them this morning. Little wiring work and some bulbs they will be back on and up and running.  

• Like 1