New member. Meet Opal

37Special

5 minutes ago, Terry Wiegand said:

That is a really nice looking '37 Buick.  I know a guy who has a '37 also.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

Thank you!  Learning a lot and loving it so far!

Beautiful looking car, and yours looks to be in good shape! While they look great with whitewalls, i do always enjoy seeing them, especially the sedans, with blackwall tires. Though I've flipped back and fourth a dozen times on which way to go on my 1937 Buick Century when it gets to that point. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stooge said:

Beautiful looking car, and yours looks to be in good shape! While they look great with whitewalls, i do always enjoy seeing them, especially the sedans, with blackwall tires. Though I've flipped back and fourth a dozen times on which way to go on my 1937 Buick Century when it gets to that point. 

I'm having the same dilemma right now.  Need new tires and tubes on it but can't decide between whitewalls and Blackwalls.  Do standard tire stores still do tubes or where is everyone getting theirs done?

Most shops can handle tubes, but I take mine to a place that does heavy truck tire tires--they know tubes, they know how to get heavy-duty tubes, and they aren't frightened by bias-ply or abnormal tires the way a chain store might be.

A 1937 Buick might not even need tubes, making it especially easy. I skipped tubes in my '41. IF the wheels are welded instead of riveted, they may be OK without tubes. Perhaps someone else with a '37 Buick can chime in and answer that particular question for you.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 2:01 PM, Nichalicious said:

I'm having the same dilemma right now.  Need new tires and tubes on it but can't decide between whitewalls and Blackwalls.  Do standard tire stores still do tubes or where is everyone getting theirs done?

I would imagine any of my local tire stores would probably have to order them in, or if you ordered them and brought them in to mount. The wheels that came on my car are not correct, and i think are from a post war/ late 1940's car so the width and offset are wrong, and i'lli need to find replacement wheels as well. For tires, i have been planning on using Diamondback Auburn Deluxe radials https://dbtires.com/product/auburn-deluxe-radial-15-16-sizes/  a bias ply look a like radial that people really seem to like, and  I was pretty set on bias plies before hearing about them.  I still dont know if i am doing blackwalls or whitewalls though, the price difference is forgettable, and every time i sort of decide, i see a car with the other choice and I'm back to square one.  

Edited by Stooge (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Congratulations on your "new" Buick! I am the guy Terry is referring to. Someday maybe "Opal" can meet "Lucy".

241741933_DSCF2603(1024x540).jpg.ea163f13ef1b8a17fbfd91a98299a41e.jpg Mine is as yours a 1937 model 41 Trunkback. A Slantback is a model 47.

What size tires are you running? They look to be oversize as what the Century would have  700X15.

Mine are 650X16 Firestone bias.

Get involved with the 1936-38 Straight 8 group. www.3638buickclub.org. I have been a member for 34 years.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, dibarlaw said:

Congratulations on your "new" Buick! I am the guy Terry is referring to. Someday maybe "Opal" can meet "Lucy".

241741933_DSCF2603(1024x540).jpg.ea163f13ef1b8a17fbfd91a98299a41e.jpg Mine is as yours a 1937 model 41 Trunkback. A Slantback is a model 47.

What size tires are you running? They look to be oversize as what the Century would have  700X15.

Mine are 650X16 Firestone bias.

Get involved with the 1936-38 Straight 8 group. www.3638buickclub.org. I have been a member for 34 years.

Thanks for the info!  Still learning but I was thinking it was called a slantback. 

Not sure on the tires.  I'll have to check when I'm home.  They are cracked and needing to be replaced so i really appreciate the info so I can get them back to stock size. 

I have been lurking on that group website a lot.  Lots of great info.  Just need to pull the trigger and become a member.  

Your car looks great!  That would be cool to get a picture of them together!

I run Radials (like the sizes: front 6.50x16,rear 7.50x16) because of the much more stable run,especially when ruts on the streets.

Before the radials i had fresh Firestone (WW) bias Tyres..,man what a different in stability..

The bigger Tires in the rear gives me 5 mph more speed at the same Engine revs.

My car also is nearly 2" lower in front and rear.

An I find it looks good on my 38 Coupe .

I'll never wanna ride with WW's because,I find meanwhile it's not fit on a "cheap,poor" Special.

My opinion...😉

Since years I like the look with the black walls, every day again.

M2C

IMG-20190916-WA0023.thumb.jpg.4dc19e2b650233abf0fff80b697b3072.jpg

• Like 2

Your steering wheel is new. The material they used for steering wheels back then was "hard rubber" which they also made bowling balls with back then. It deteriorates over time and all the original steering wheels from back then are disintegrated or replaced with modern material like your was.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stooge said:

Just in case you wanted it, the wheel and tire page from the 1937 Service Manual. 

20200407_230033.jpg.f3855238b883285e5d63e9beeaa0a6f8.jpg

Thank you for this!  Hopefully my manual arrives this week.  Getting some Firestone whitewalls ordered this week.  

1 hour ago, Morgan Wright said:

Your steering wheel is new. The material they used for steering wheels back then was "hard rubber" which they also made bowling balls with back then. It deteriorates over time and all the original steering wheels from back then are disintegrated or replaced with modern material like your was.

I was wondering.  I noticed some white on the metal spokes and thought to myself that it looked like it was painted.  Could it have been painted or is it different than the original?

2 hours ago, Nichalicious said:

I was wondering.  I noticed some white on the metal spokes and thought to myself that it looked like it was painted.  Could it have been painted or is it different than the original?

The spokes are original. I don't know the process how they mold the new steering wheels on the old banjo spokes, maybe somebody else can chime in.

• Like 1

^ I was just about to reply about the steering wheel being refurbished/ recast by a previous owner, is a nice 'get' especially if it was rechromed at the same time. i've seen prices starting in the $1400 range for servicing a wheel,  and going up from there. Looks good!

Edited by Stooge (see edit history)
  • Like 1