1979 Pontiac Trans Am 9,924 mile, 1 owner survivor. Every option, W72 Four Speed

Well,  this car ruins every other Trans Am for me.   It is a W72 stick in a color I love in practically new condition.    For those of you that are not Pontiac guys,  the W72 is the last real musclecar engine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114860834382

his is one of the most desirable 1979 Trans Ams in existence. Only 9,924 actual miles. It's an original unrestored survivor, 1 owner car. It has all of the highly desirable options and a rare factory color. We have a pile of original documentation. We have the order form. This was not just bought off the lot, he ordered it with every bell and whistle. It also includes, window sticker, invoice, loan papers, build sheet and much more. It has so many options the window sticker is 2 pages.

EXTERIOR: Beautiful rare color-Atlantis blue. Truly believed to be original paint and it still shows remarkably well. It is smooth and glossy, only a couple minor imperfections. No door dents, no rust, no cracking. The bumpers and spoilers fit real well. It has optional hood bird still in like new shape. The shaker scoop has never been cut or drilled out. It also has optional side moldings which probably saved it from a door ding or two. The optional metal door edge gaurds are not banged up. This has the optional 15x8 snowflake wheels, they are excellent. The tires were replaced. The glass T-tops are in excellent shape and have the optional locks. The door jambs are excellent, there is an oil change sticker from 1990. The window seals and weather strips are excellent. It still has original dealer Schaefer Pontiac emblem. Overall amazing original condition.

INTERIOR: I'm sitting in the car and it's about as close to new as you will find. In front of me the dash pad is mint, there no cracks. The machine turned metal instrument panel is sparkling, all the lenses and gauges are clean, the clock is still working. The titl formula wheel is not worn. Even around the ignition it's not scratched up. The center console is not worn, broken, no cigarette burns. The upholstery is in excellent condition. The plastic trim is real nice. The headliner is excellent. The interior lights work. The light color carpet is still real nice. A carpet square was found under the seat from an assembly worker. The door panels are in excellent shape, even the chrome piping is not peeling. It does have an aftermarket radio, dash was not cut. We have the receipt, it was installed in 1980. Options include a rear defroster, delay wipers, power windows, power locks and power trunk. The original glove box pouch is in the glove box with all the books and manuals.

ENGINE COMPARTMENT: It has the very desirable 400 with W72 performance package which also includes chrome valve covers. It is the original vin # matching motor with original components. The engine compartment is very original with the exception of some minor maintenance items like converting the air to 134, replacing the radiator hoses, a new alternator and battery. The shaker air cleaner assembly is complete with all its ductwork. All the vacuum lines are still hooked up on the motor. It still has original stickers on the master cylinder and brake lines.

TRUNK COMPARTMENT: It looks like new. The jack is still stowed up under the rear deck. The collapsible spare is complete with the air bottle. They probably have never been out of the car. It has the black felt mat and it also has the optional insulation pad underneath. The original t-top bags and original floor mats are in the trunk. The trunk light and power release work. The paint under the trunk lid is pristine. Weather strip and the jamb are excellent.

UNDERSIDE: It is a very well preserved, all original underside. There are still remains of the original paper build sheet stuck to the rear end cover. The fuel tank still has the original stencil ink stamp. A letter G is painted on the rear end, the drive shaft still has painted on stripes. The original exhaust including the catalytic converter, mufflers with GM right on them and it has the chrome splitter tips. The bottom of the motor is clean original. The M20 Muncie 4-speed is VIN number matching to this car. The floor is 100%, rock solid virgin metal. The factory seams and spot welds are clean. Even the lower inner quarters are untouched clean original metal. It came with the WS6 performance package which included upgraded shocks, firmer springs and bushings, larger sway bars and disc brakes at all 4 wheels.

I have seen low mile black cars and silver anniversary car's, never seen a blue one. This is for the serious collector that wants the ultimate. It doesn't check most of the boxes, it checks them all!

I, Jay Grams, take pride in personally writing the descriptions for virtually every car for about the last 30 years now. A significant amount of effort goes into fact checking. What I am offering is my professional impression of the vehicle.
Our salesmen are happy to assist with descriptions and making sure your questions are answered. One great suggestion is letting us do a walk around video that explains the car's condition in detail.
**These cars are displayed in a museum. If interested in a particular car make an appointment with a salesman to see that car. Without an appointment there is an admission fee to enter the showroom. If you buy a car, your admission will be refunded and you will be given a 1 year membership.

815-323-6536 9-5 central
Answered ASAP

Air conditioning
Power steering
P 4 wheel disc
T-tops
WS6 handling
W72 performance
Hood decal
Body side moldings
Deluxe seat belts
Power trunk
Power windows
Power locks
Rear defrost
Door edge gaurds
Floor mats
Soft ray glass
Lamp group
Drip moldings
Tilt Formula wheel
Delay wipers
Deluxe interior

79-W72-9k-miles.JPG

• Like 5

I agree, this is a great looking T/A in remarkable condition but I think it will take a few more years before this era will bring the the $100K asking price.

For the last couple of years I’ve thought there was a price fixing scheme going on with the y82 “bandit” cars. A few dealers seem to have most of the inventory and they have priced the cars at 80-110k.  But I’m not sure I’ve sever seen that number at public auction.

I guess a bit of my reasoning about high prices is I look at cars as cars. Not investments, nor “look what I bought” items to impress your friends and foil your enemies.  That means I want to feel comfortable while using them not living in terror of another car hitting them.  No matter what it is a car that cost $100,000 would make me want to live in it in a locked garage with a shotgun.  And I do know people do drive high end cars without a lot of worry. Just not me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

I guess a bit of my reasoning about high prices is I look at cars as cars. Not investments, nor “look what I bought” items to impress your friends and foil your enemies.  

That's the perfect outlook for the hobby, Mr. Plymouth!

I see my cars as things to share with others.  When they

think our hobby is expensive and unattainable to them--

a common misperception--I like to point out how affordable

most old cars really are.

Sharing the hobby extends the enjoyment to others.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Beautiful Car!  If I had to nit pick the radio isnt correct nor is the shifter handle. Both easy fixes $10 fixes though. I have a buddy that is restoring an Atlantis blue 4 sp 79, however his car is stripped. Opposite of this one. Price does seem strong, but as an owner of a couple of these beast I say let the prices roll!!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Beautiful Car!  If I had to nit pick the radio isnt correct nor is the shifter handle. Both easy fixes $10 fixes though. I have a buddy that is restoring an Atlantis blue 4 sp 79, however his car is stripped. Opposite of this one. Price does seem strong, but as an owner of a couple of these beast I say let the prices roll!!!

Be careful.  Once I jump in you can expect these to drop like a rock until I get out.  At which point they will skyrocket.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Time capsule.

I'm surprised that the seller claims this car has an original Muncie M20 transmission.

These cars had the Borg Warner "Super T-10" manual transmission.

• Like 2

I think we can all agree the price on this seems on the insane side.   But,  I understand the dealers logic.   There are dozens of restored, beat, 70K miles cars in good to bad colors for 20-50k.   This is the first one I have seen that literally checks every box in the collector car world.   I guess if it was a Y82 it might be better,  but then again,  there are lots of those and I've never seen this very cool color before.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 95Cardinal said:

Time capsule.

I'm surprised that the seller claims this car has an original Muncie M20 transmission.

These cars had the Borg Warner "Super T-10" manual transmission.

I wonder what the last production car was to get the M20 or the 21?    The sweet music of straight cut gears.

At the right auction this one may go for $100k, but I would have to agree thats a pretty healthy asking price. The rarity is the low mileage and there are still lots of cars out there with low miles. 1979 was a high water mark for the Trans Am. 100k + made, def quite a few less in the 4 speed guise. One can get a REALLY nice legit SD car for $100k. Heck, even a REAL 69 trans am (of which 600 some were made) can be had for in the low $100k range. 

These are great cars, amazingly fun to drive but (ahem, as I clear my throat), not $100k cars. I could say the same about a 190SL too! This thing needs to be taken to the streets and put through the test. For the asking price and low miles, I would bet it never sees the road again which is a shame.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

At the right auction this one may go for $100k, but I would have to agree thats a pretty healthy asking price. The rarity is the low mileage and there are still lots of cars out there with low miles. 1979 was a high water mark for the Trans Am. 100k + made, def quite a few less in the 4 speed guise. One can get a REALLY nice legit SD car for $100k. Heck, even a REAL 69 trans am (of which 600 some were made) can be had for in the low $100k range. 

These are great cars, amazingly fun to drive but (ahem, as I clear my throat), not $100k cars. I could say the same about a 190SL too! This thing needs to be taken to the streets and put through the test. For the asking price and low miles, I would bet it never sees the road again which is a shame.

Good point about the SD cars.  I need to pay more attention, but can you get a numbers documented SD stick for that number?  I’ve seen autos in that range.

I love the color, too. The graphics are a bit more subdued because there's less contrast. As far as the price, give it a few more months...I'm sure the seller will come down. He just has to make sure there aren't any insane movie stars out there in the market before he starts his realistic pricing. 😉

• Like 1

I don't want to start another thread but this is a good example of what you see a lot of.   I would love to talk to the guy that did the advertisement and ask him if he was paying by the word.  There are more than a few pictures but no context.  1978 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Coupe Grey RWD Manual  29K or Offer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Pontiac-Firebird-Trans-Am-/265212038218

1978 trans am numbers matching 400 y82, 4 speed! Rust free solid car, newer paint, new interior, new tires, brakes, carb, tube up, clutch etc! Needs exhaust and decals! Runs and drives great!

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

You're right, this gold car is much more typical of what's out there and it needs a LOT more than just "exhaust and decals".   It is missing many parts inside, outside and under the hood.

Also hood, fender, door alignment look to be less than stellar.  And what's up with the trench on the passenger side floor?

9 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

You're right, this gold car is much more typical of what's out there and it needs a LOT more than just "exhaust and decals".   It is missing many parts inside, outside and under the hood.

Also hood, fender, door alignment look to be less than stellar.  And what's up with the trench on the passenger side floor?

I would find a real "decal delete" car interesting.   This looks more like a "respray...forgot to put the decals back on" car.

Boy, where to start with the gold one?  If he gets that price Im gonna list mine for $75K!!

If its the gold s.e. it would be a Y88. Y82 is the black s.e.  IF it is indeed a y82, he missed the boat by not painting it black. If it is a y88, they are more rare than the Y82 but dont have the following or value, still more valuable than a non Y car though. I would expect to pay upwards of $35K-$45k for a premium example. This car has a lot of issues for the asking price. Wheels arent right, and no caps.  Cig. burns in the console (assuming they were cigarettes, lol), cracked dash, no map pocket, steering wheel is beat, missing trim on dr. door, etc. Almost looks like an original inter. that was left untouched. Nothing wrong with originality but at least repair to make it look decent.

Paint looks like it could be buffed a bit more, not sure whats going on with the hood. May be an aftermarket unit. The nose's on these cars shrink and take on a shape of their own so that may a bit of whats going on. Alignment is a nightmare from the doors forward on these cars as well. Looks like the dr door needs tweaked a bit.

The y88 is actually a great looking car with the decals, and they really stand out amongst other T/A's. I think the decal package for this car is in the $600 range, so he may just be cutting his losses. On the other hand, for 29k it would be a minimal investment to make the car look finished and better attract a buyer. 

All in all not a bad car, priced a bit high for my tastes though. Nothing wrong with it that throwing another $10k into the pot wont fix.

Assuming the bottom and engine compartment compare to the top.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Edit to my above post. Didnt see the motor pics the first time around. The engine compartment is a mess!!

Also, hard to tell in the photos but the Y88 had one model only gold tinted roof panels. Doesnt look like this car has them.

• Like 1

Hancooks also, maybe those more in the know on these cars will correct me, but I often look at tires first on a car like this, not saying they are junk but an attempt at a more period correct tire/brand is a sign of attention to detail imho.  Blatent cheap or mismatched tires are a red flag to me. This may not be a red flag, but they are not a plus on the gold car to me.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Hancooks also, maybe those more in the know on these cars will correct me, but I often look at tires first on a car like this, not saying they are junk but an attempt at a more period correct tire/brand is a sign of attention to detail imho.  Blatent cheap or mismatched tires are a red flag to me. This may not be a red flag, but they are not a plus on the gold car to me.

Yep.  That and aftermarket gauges.

Beautiful car with stupid price, not surprising from that dealer. I always thought the 79 was the best looking of the late 70s T/A's due to the sharp edged bumper covers. I restored a 10th Anniversary edition with this drivetrain many years ago, while it did not compare to early 70s performance it was very impressive and the WS-6 suspension and four wheel discs were icing on the cake.

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TexRiv_63 said:

Beautiful car with stupid price, not surprising from that dealer. I always thought the 79 was the best looking of the late 70s T/A's due to the sharp edged bumper covers. I restored a 10th Anniversary edition with this drivetrain many years ago, while it did not compare to early 70s performance it was very impressive and the WS-6 suspension and four wheel discs were icing on the cake.

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

Thats whats in my shop right now!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

So are T tops a positive or a negative on these cars?  Seems about 60/40 T-tops to solid roof on the Zs, but almost all of these have them.  Maybe a factor of the TA being a touch upscale through the years?

It is a wash for me Steve.

Trans Ams were def upscale to the z 28. As far as the tops go, my experience is that it seems most buyers prefer them now. The guys that want to make a performance car go for the hard top. I despised them back in the day, called them brain boilers. They can get really hot in the summer, and yes they all leak. Not really an issue now as I doubt most are driven during the rain, unless caught in a trip. Most of the time my tops come off at the beginning of the summer, get put into storage and come back out in the fall.

That white car looks pretty nice, but..... It may be a repaint. The interior looks pretty beat compared to the nice condition of the outside. Wrong callout decal on the shaker is a dead give away. Being a 403 they made over 100k of these. Not too hard to find one this good or better for less money. The tops are aftermarket. Cars and Concepts.

Same as on my 77. Cars and concepts was started by Dick Chrysler who was an engineer and at least part owner at one time of Hurst, the producer of the first gen. t tops on these cars. I suppose I am biased, but I think the CnC tops look good on these cars with the full glass area when installed. They are very similar to the 3rd gen design t tops. I read somewhere that the 3rd gen tops were designed the after these. I spoke with an engineer/designer that worked for Hurst at a show a couple of years ago. He knew Dick Chrysler and also worked for CnC. They had a large production facility in Detroit where the cars would ship to and have tops fitted. I have heard of local shops installing them as well, but have not seen any facts towards that.

That colour combination is my favorite for these cars. My cousin bought one brand new 1981 identical this one. In 1982 I put money down on an 81 T/A like this one, only to find for the same price a brand new 1982 Firebird. No brainer at the time I bought the Firebird.

15 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

I think the white is real sharp but the interior has the dreaded velour.

So torn on white, half thinks its super sharp, but half is expecting Becky, the hot but oh so ice cold  upperclassman in a tight sweater, jeans to match and that big hair to come around the corner and jump in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wasn’t sure if I should start a new thread but decided to continue the comparisons. Just saw this one:

1979 10th Anniversary T/A 6.6 400/4speed Original 12k miles Survivor - $45,000

https://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/d/east-meadow-th-anniversary-a-speed/7344195729.html

More pics in the ad. No comment about Becky. 

image.jpeg.530f98a195e4330b9e621cc56aaf404e.jpeg

• Like 2

Does look like some nice stuff lurking in the background, in particular what is hiding at the stairs?

Looks like a pretty honest car that is priced about right. Only negative (only because there has to be at least one) is the radio, but the one he has in there looks pretty good. He says he has the original, which a hard to find, and as long as the hole hasnt been cut then no biggie. Also looks like the power ant. stopped working or maybe not hooked up.

• Thanks 1