Rolls Royce/ Bentley gathering. Lake George, NY.

Dandy Dave

Hey gang. I'm at the RROC and Bentley meet in Lake George, NY. I trailered the 1930 Rolls 20/25 here that I rebuilt the engine on a few years back for my friends. There are some absolutely gorgeous automobiles here. Thought I would share some photos. Things are finally opening up after the corona virous that shut everything down the last year or more. Dandy Dave!

IMG_2982.JPG.8c60cb86fa83498a6588e1c59bee6038.JPG

IMG_2972.JPG

IMG_2974.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I so love to see car shows with mostly prewar classics! And who can't love any Rolls Royce of that era? I sometimes find Rolls Royce hobbyists a bit funny (no disparaging meanings intended!). About twenty years ago, I went to an antiques show and sale in a small North-coast Califunny town. While walking across the parking lot, this wonderful  model 20/25 drophead coupe (a 1929 if I recall correctly?) comes driving in and parks just a few feet away from where I was walking. So, naturally, my entrance into the show gets delayed for several minutes!  I walked over, introduce myself, and compliment the man's automobile. He immediately begins to apologize for the fact that it is the "little' Rolls Royce! (I already knew that, but loved the car anyway!) It was such a wonderful car, and oh-boy did it sound nice!  I just couldn't see anything about the car to apologize for?

Great pictures! Thank you for posting them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wayne sheldon said:

....... I sometimes find Rolls Royce hobbyists a bit funny ......

About 10 years back our club had a weekend run down the south coast to a town called Eden. Over the course of the several days we were there we visited the local car clubs workshop/storage/clubhouse. While there we were told the RR club had previously visited and had asked if one of the RR's could be put up on a hoist. Because .............................................................that way some of the RR owners would be able to get their first look underneath a RR.

• Like 1

Some great cars , brings back good and sad memories, when I reached first 10 year wedding anniversary,my boss lent me his classic roller for the week end and we went to nearby expensive 5 star chewton Glen hotel ,  popular with Americans , especially golfers . Good part lovely week end ,great car, big though ,  sad part the big C took her. Cest la vie. , live for the day

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, prewarnut said:

Sad to see so many had to take their mascots off....no one's come up with a mod to chain them from inside?

How much is a reproduction these days?   Maybe everybody needs two.   The public one and the private one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, prewarnut said:

Sad to see so many had to take their mascots off....no one's come up with a mod to chain them from inside?

Even among Rolls collectors the Original Mascots grow legs and walk away. Everyone has two. One to tour and leave in the parking lot with, and another to put on when it is show day. Dandy Dave.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Those early Rolls Royce's sure do have a undeniable presence and majesty that no other make can match.

I wonder if the Armstrong Siddeley cars are included a bit or looked down on from the Roll and Bee folk..even though I think Rolls obsorbed A.S. in the early 60's.?

Just trying stir up some blood pressure.👹

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flivverking said:

Those early Rolls Royce's sure do have a undeniable presence and majesty that no other make can match.

I wonder if the Armstrong Siddeley cars are included a bit or looked down on from the Roll and Bee folk..even though I think Rolls obsorbed A.S. in the early 60's.?

Just trying stir up some blood pressure.👹

Everything you'd want to know about the late Armstrong-Siddeleys...but were afraid to ask.

Automotive History: British Deadly Sins (‘50s Edition, Part 2) – Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire 234 / 236 | Curbside Classic

I'm affraid to ask!LOL.

A friend,well not really a friend..but an acquaintance,aaaa,not really an acaquaintance...but a guy I have been trying to avoid for 47 years,(that's  about right )has a 52 or 54 Sapphire sitting under a tarp in the yard for ten years and talks of getting it running and that it has Rolls Royce beat on a few things in many ways.

I don't think so!!! 

Well maybe better door locks and carpet snaps or something?

Edited by Flivverking (see edit history)

14 hours ago, JimKB1MCV said:

Weren't Springfield RR and Duesenberg mostly targeting different segments of the (upper) market?

The size of the market in 1929 that could afford a car over 10k was large enough to fit in a decent sized church.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alsancle said:

The size of the market in 1929 that could afford a car over 10k was large enough to fit in a decent sized church.

There was lots of talk about the New York 400 club from back in the day. If you were invited to an Astor Ball, You were in.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Billy Kingsley said:

The Fort William Henry grounds are perfect for a car show. The museum is well worth visiting as well. 

I went there often as a kid (knew somebody that let us in) - I'm sure you don't get to mold your own lead musket balls anymore.  Having a cannon still trained on the minigolf is a quality feature.  For those not familiar with the history, this is where the story of Last of the Mohicans is set.

• Like 1

The RROC has done a much better job of supporting the prewar cars than the MBCA.    I quit the MBCA years ago because 99.5% of everything was geared towards post war stuff.    It might be there are more prewar Rolls floating around than Mercedes.    In fact,  now that I think it about it,  the ratio is probably 10 to 1 or more,  so I guess I understand.