My Car Trailer needs replacement........

R W Burgess

2 hours ago, mike6024 said:

I have installed several of these over the years with good reports.

I have found that getting the tongue weight adjusted correctly is probably more important.

Mostly worked on boat trailers so moving the winch stand (and boat) can make a huge difference in sway.

That is until the boat owner puts EVERY camping item in his boat. (usually in the back).

I saw lots of dealers packaging minimum trailer for their boat. Boat combination weighs 2000# gets a 2000# capacity trailer.

I would always suggest about 20% more trailer capacity. 

Of coarse the "smart" guys would tell me that idea would probably beat the heck out of the boat. (I never saw that happen)

The cheap buyers would buy from that cheap dealer. They belonged to each other as far as I was concerned.

16 minutes ago, R W Burgess said:

Thanks, I had not seen that large unit before. Need to check it out.

Thanks Again,

Wayne

Sure, thirty bucks and a couple of hours might just be the answer.

It looks like it would go right onto your Weight distributing set up.

I'm not recommending that thing. I know nothing about it. I just posted a link for reference because someone brought it up.

I'm not sure what the friction mechanism inside is. It's not like an oil filled shock absorber.  

7 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

It's not like an oil filled shock absorber.

No, its a friction devise. I think it might be UHMW that you are clamping against.

The guy in the video says a brake lining.

To be honest I do not recall, Its been 25 years since I retired from the boat business.

4 hours ago, R W Burgess said:

Thanks, I had not seen that large unit before. Need to check it out.

Thanks Again,

Wayne

Wayne, I bought one of these maybe 35 - 40 years ago to add to my weight-distributing hitch.

It operates by the lever increasing the amount of friction on the sliding bar, making it harder for the trailer to sway. 

You can leave it relatively loose, or lock it totally solid, or find a sweet spot somewhere in the middle to provide resistance and hopefully help slow the oscillation of the trailer.

I used it once but found it totally unnecessary if the trailer is properly loaded with at least (and preferably More than) 60% of the total trailer weight forward of the axle(s) mid-line.

Mine sits in the garage - somewhere, and will stay there unless I find myself with a load impossible to properly proportion.

Edited by Marty Roth
typo, and additional note (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Wayne, I bought one of these maybe 35 - 40 years ago

Like Marty I purchased one (Made in USA) with my first enclosed trailer around 1980 and used it when hauling heavy cars until my first dually in 96.  I thought it helped.  Just remember there is a limit on how tightly you can turn when backing up.  

• Like 1