31 Model A Standard Roadster

After the midyear introduction of the deluxe roadster in 30, prod tables tipped and you don't see a lot of 31 Standard roadsters. 

This one looks to have an odd top arrangement as it has deluxe top irons, hence the squatty look to the top in the rear shot top up, and odd rear window means it was probably a custom top, vs. One of the more common kits and correct rectangular window.  A minor nit on a neat looking old A.  Looks to have right interior, split rear bumpers, higher windshield, all def. Standard features.

If it's decent mechanically it would be nice to use as is. 

I like the rear spare as well, and have thought about converting ours, also a standard.

https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/north-hampton-1931-ford-model/7338603456.html

00v0v_bobJXtn50ojz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
Add pic (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Oh! I like this one alot as it sits,if it's actually like we see..running board apron dents and all.

3 hours ride to check it....hum? 8 hour turn around on a common Ford..maybe not so interesting to me now.

.Though looking for a Phaeton ,I have looked at some roadsters ,but not one has passed my tests for their price point.

Unforunately photos make not so good cars look far far better then they are.

The 2 roadster I traveled to see were way better in  photos then what I see here (and in the ad)and had been "restored body off " in the distant past...but to not any reasonable standard of a sympathetic rebuilder ,couple that with age wear ,poor preservation and crummy maintence didn't help up close and personal..

But aleast the car here has a nice stance and hangs together well ..and near complete and no goofy b.s. here and there.😒

Edited by Flivverking (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Flivverking said:

Oh! I like this one alot as it sits,if it's actually like we see..running board apron dents and all.

3 hours ride to check it....hum? 8 hour turn around on a common Ford..maybe not so interesting to me now.

.Though looking for a Phaeton ,I have looked at some roadsters ,but not one has passed my tests for their price point.

The 2 roadster I traveled to see were way better in  photos then what I see here (and in the ad)and had been "restored body off " in the distant past...but to not any reasonable standard of a sympathetic rebuilder ,couple that with age wear ,poor preservation and crummy maintence didn't help up close and personal..

But aleast the car here has a nice stance and hangs together well ..and near complete and no goofy b.s. here and there.😒

Do you want a deluxe phaeton?  https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/491159628845308/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post

52 minutes ago, Malo48 said:

Is this a fair price assuming you could drive it as-is?

I don't think so.

Aside from the odd appearance of the top, you lose the extra headroom of a standard roadster with the short top irons.

Maybe it's better than the photos show, but that usually isn't the case. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Flivverking said:

Will keep an eye out, what are you looking for exactly, old restoration, original car, newer restoration?  Mild touring or period mods? Or "I will know it when I see it", which is understandable in the A world.

Our Model A when I was growing up was a standard roadster but my father added the Deluxe windshield stanchions and frame. Standard top, but a little sportier with the lower windshield. It didn't look odd at all. But the opposite--deluxe top with standard windshield--does look a little awkward. The good news is that it's easy to fix and the stanchions and windshield frame are readily available from a number of suppliers. I personally like my Model As a bit scruffy and this all-black roadster has the right look.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 2