Identify old auto from photo - brass era?

Don Abel

My knowledge of older cars is very limited and is the reason I am in hopes you might be able to identify the auto in the attached picture.  I have restored this old photo as best I can but the quality starting was quite poor.  Hopefully there is enough detail to allow an expert to discern the model and make.  The picture is from the Mount Sterling, Illinois area in about 1916.  The 1916 is only a guess based on the age on the boy in the photo.

Thank you for any help you may be able to offer,

Orr Family2a.jpeg

• Like 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Identify old auto from photo - brass era?

1913 T to be more specific - but, it's been retrofitted with some updates.   The electric head and cowl lamps are aftermarket replacements and the hood has been replaced with one from a 1915 or 1916.  Prior to then they did not have louvers.  Perhaps the hood was changed to enhance cooling.  Can't see the horn clearly but it could be an aftermarket addition as well. 

The 1913 body is distinctive in a couple of easy to spot ways.  First, the doors open all the way down to the splash aprons.  Even more revealing is the windshield.  In 1913 it folded forwards like the one in the photo.  In 1914 and later, it folded back.  The photo could certainly have been taken in 1916.

Terry

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 1:36 PM, Peter Gariepy said:

im always amazed at detail that is seen by those in the know!

Next we'll hear is someone stating the seat leather came from a Michigan cow, and not a Wisconsin cow, so it was obviously re-upholstered. :)

Not actually leather, but the wood floorboards did come from a forest in Northern Michigan. 

Terry

• Like 1

Thank you for your comments.  The driver is John Orr (12 Dec 1866 Brown County Illinois - 18 Sep 1944 Beardstown Illinois) who by profession was a blacksmith who became a Ford mechanic.  You information will help put dates to when he may have made the transition.  Your attention to detail is amazing.  Again thank you... Don Abel  

• Like 1