'65 Buick Riviera Gran Sport | Style Personified (YouTube video)

65VerdeGS

I was approached by a local videographer to feature my '65 Gran Sport in the latest episode of the "Center Lane" YouTube Channel series.   

This feature was filmed in Queen Elizabeth Park, in Vancouver, BC.    Enjoy!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Wow Alex.......what an awesome video....I can see you are as passionate about your 65 Riviera as I am

about mine......the way you described that passion couldn't have been expressed any better.....Bravo and congratulations....

your car is awesome!

Alex, we should have Bruce do a video clip on all our cars to relate a face to the name!

Really enjoyed watching and I couldn't help notice a pedestrian in the background with an umbrella in that lush park!

Love seeing those clam shells operate.

Thank-You.

Bought my first 65 Riviera Feburary 1965 , white with blue interior ( std )

It was a 401 that I added the 425 cam , dual 4 's and reworked the carbs ,

distributer , switch patch . I was 23 years old looking at a 65 GS Skylark

with a 4 spd . The Riviera had beautiful lines and was not much slower then

the GS Skylark.

I do not own a 65 at present , but have in the past own 5 65 Riv GS's

and other 65 Rives .

Always loved the sound of the dual fours under full accelleration !

Love your Riv Alex !!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Lagna

BCA 3030 , GSCA 654 ROA (passed member ) 2861

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone who commented on the YouTube video about my '65 Gran Sport.  It was fun doing it.  About 4 hours of filming got boiled down into the 12 minutes you see in the posted video.  The videographer captured my story about the car quite well and I'm glad he edited out anything I may have said that wasn't politically correct! 😅.   

During the filming I made specific mention of the ROA as the organization that has long supported our interest in Rivieras.  I also acknowledged the assistance and expertise of the ROA Technical Advisors who have been of great help to me over the years, including Tom Mooney, and also Leonard Scott, and Dick Sweeny who are no longer with us, regrettably.  Alas, those remarks didn't make it into the video.

71GS asked how much I paid for the car back in '83.  The seller wanted $2,200, and I wound up getting the car for an even two grand.  A rather good buy, in retrospect.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Please note Tom Mooney is alive and well.  As you may know, Tom is the current ROA technical advisor for '63-65 Rivieras.   

Leonard Scott and DIck Sweeny were former ROA technical advisors that have both passed away.  I met Leonard Scott back in 1984 when I drove my recently acquired Riv from Vancouver to Southern California.  Leonard worked at Classic Buicks in Chino, CA, and I had stopped there to inquire about some parts.  Leonard saw my car parked outside the shop and came looking for me because he also owned a Verde Green '65 Gran Sport which he had bought brand new in 1965.   Leonard was a wealth of information about these cars and we quickly became friends.  He told me about the new Riviera Owners Association that had been started by Ray Knott.  I joined the ROA as soon as I could, and have been a member ever since.

• Like 1

One of my 'Riviera treasures' is a long handwritten note from Leonard Scott explaining something to me.  I don't remember exactly what it was about. At the time, and even more so today, I thought it was extremely generous of Leonard to sit down and take the time to help me.

• Like 1