Wheel bearing

Kurt Zimmerle

The good news is that Timken seems to have kept the same bearing numbers for 100 years and that many of the 3-digit numbers are still used in industrial equipment. I've been able to get same-time-frame Timken numbers from a local specialty bearing house via special order. There may be a Timken catalog online and if so, check for availability by NUMBER, not for "Cadillac."

Alas, the owner of Olcar Bearing in NC passed away a few months ago, and I don't know whether anyone has taken over his business of buying up obsolete bearings.  Again, Google is our friend.

• Like 1

I suggest South Shore Bearing in Plymouth, Massachusetts.  They have been my go-to source since George at Olcar Bearing passed away.

South Shore Bearing is actually in Quincy, MA, just south of Boston.  They are great on getting old bearings, have lots of old catalogs.  Phone is 617-471-7800.

There all over the place. Here's one for around $20. Massive Discount on 316 Timken Replacement Bearings at Mechanidrive.com 

The cup may have a different part number. Knock it out and get the number off of that also. 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

For my 1917 White, is saw wheel bearing prices from 35 dollars for good used to 800 dollars for new. I ended up with new Korean units for 100 bucks each. Just use google and google images......you will get to a decision quickly. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Unless you are going to be driving at high speeds and long distance to and from, why not just use the bearings you have now, if you have them, for the parade at least if you can't source them right away?