Just saw this very nice 1957 Chevrolet on the road....

Coming back from my mother-in-law's care center and saw this clean 1957 Chevrolet sedan. I love the color and the aftermarket wheels (although original items would suit it).

IMG_1507 (2).JPG

• Like 4

I had a girlfriend in HS that had a car identical to that, same colour(also about the same colour as my souped up 65 ford pickup, Caddy colour, saturn bronze firemist). Only hers had cragars. Our HS gym coach also drove a hot rodded 57, his was red with cragars. This was 1980sh.

• Like 2

We had a discussion about that great and very popular color on '57 Chevies a while back. If that isn't the same color, it's a close approximation. I can't remember the name of it (the color) but I'm wondering if it was specific to '57. I can't recall seeing it on any other original looking tri-fives, and I don't think I've seen it on '58's or '59's either, but I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

And , fwiw, my least favorite chevy.  

Ben

I remember writing a letter to Hemmings Classic Car many years ago (which they published) making a similar complaint: the '57 Chevy is too overrated...and therefore overvalued. I'd revise that now because the truth is I really do like/love them, but it seemed they were just too prominent in popular culture for a while. For goodness sakes, Eric Clapton even wrote a song about them. (I could understand the Beach Boys or Jan & Dean...but Clapton??)

My attitude now is that the car is very cool and conjures up good memories and I ignore the cheap pop culture references. I love how the example in the pic is done up - very 1969 or 70.

• Like 2

I was never crazy about the 57, I preferred the 55. I still dont go gaga over them and could take or leave. I do appreciate seeing nice examples though, as I do all old cars. I have a good friend that recently finished his resto modded 57 and it came out beautiful. 

Chased a 56 in HS and bought the car a few years later.

We had a couple tri-fives at the time, in school.  I could see another one, they may not be rare, but that is ok.  Would want the obligatory two sets of wheels, cragars and stock.

• Like 1

I was in high school and had a driver’s license when the 55’s came out. The opinion among my buddies and me that the 55 Chevy 2 door hardtop was the perfectly designed car and would never be bested. (Although I bought 55 Crown Vicky two years later).

And then, our opinion was, GM screwed the design up a little in ‘56, a lot more in ‘57, and went completely off the deep end in ‘58.

I still feel the same way today.

In my lifetime I’ve owned three ‘55’s, one ‘56, and two ‘57’s , chevys. No restorations. They were bought, driven, raced, wrecked, traded or sold.

• Thanks 1

Magazines of the day thought the 1956 styling “improved” the shortcomings of the 1955 design.  I like both and once owned a 1955 when I was in college in 1971.  I was a commuter student so it was my daily driver.  They are still a favorite of mine today.

On 6/22/2021 at 9:45 PM, JamesR said:

We had a discussion about that great and very popular color on '57 Chevies a while back. If that isn't the same color, it's a close approximation. I can't remember the name of it (the color) but I'm wondering if it was specific to '57. I can't recall seeing it on any other original looking tri-fives, and I don't think I've seen it on '58's or '59's either, but I could be wrong.

I remember writing a letter to Hemmings Classic Car many years ago (which they published) making a similar complaint: the '57 Chevy is too overrated...and therefore overvalued. I'd revise that now because the truth is I really do like/love them, but it seemed they were just too prominent in popular culture for a while. For goodness sakes, Eric Clapton even wrote a song about them. (I could understand the Beach Boys or Jan & Dean...but Clapton??)

Hey James,

I believe the color on the 57 was called Aztec Bronze, similar color in 58 I don't recall the name and in 59 and 60 was called suntan copper 

Why not Clapton? After all his musical influence was American blues. Jeff Beck another British Guitar Player is big American car guy (hot rodder) and does his own work.

Interesting link to an interview on Meguiar's Car Crazy, if you can get past the sell absorbed Barry Meguiar interrupting Jeff on every question it gives an interesting perspective of his view on American cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3v5XH91Q_8   

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

I still prefer the 1957 Ford's, Plymouth's and Chrysler's.

There’s one in every group😀.  1957 Chrysler 300 comes to mind.

• Like 2