1929 Pierce-Arrow Landau Club Sedan

A rarely seen club sedan.  For Ed to chew on.   Horrible advertisement for an interesting car.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1929-Pierce-Arrow-Landau-Club-Sedan-/224503834796

Made in America

Buffalo NY

Car runs beautiful and drives like a dream ready for that Weekend drive

there is a slight paint issue on lower sill under front door passenger side

Ride in style and have a piece of history all original

29ClubSedan.jpg

Winter front was available chrome, and was common. Hood doors available in paint or chrome to offset look. Done very rarely when new, common today. The car has a black steering column, thus it’s a safe bet the hood doors were just hood color. The trunk is terrible......it should be tossed in the trash. Colors are of the era closer to appropriate. Not my taste, but they are fine. It would look much better in a monochrome paint scheme with the top. This was a popular body style in 1929. I have owned one. Most had the “bright package” which is wire wheels, side mount covers, extra chrome, ect. Nice car that with some TLC would make a good driver, if you fix all the normal 1929 issues which certainly have not been done yet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, that is what he paid sales taxes on, not necessarily what he paid for the car. Half the cars getting registered that are pre war are done at very low values to save on sales tax. Have any doubt? How many people just want an open title signed without any information filled in? More than half from my experience.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 5

44 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Actually, that is what he paid sales taxes on, not necessarily what he paid for the car. 

If he didn't declare the actual value of the car,

would such a disingenuous seller then declare all the car's

needs and problems to the prospective buyer?

Honesty of buyers and sellers always makes the

experience, and the hobby, more enjoyable.  We need to

root out any opposite from our hobby.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

9 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Here's something very revealing to any alert reader:

The seller paid $20,000 for this car.  How do we know?

The New York State paperwork in the picture tells us:

"Receipt for payment of sales tax.  Rate 8.375%   $1675.00"!

Image 6 - 1929 Pierce-Arrow Landau Club Sedan

Is it relevant what the guy paid for the car? At this point its his car and he can ask what he wants. Whether or not he gets it is another story. 

• Like 1

When I bought and registered my LaSalle in Washington state, the employee at the Licensing office (we only go to a DMV equivalent for driving tests, etc.) didn't take my word  for the sales price. She asked me if the car was running, leafed through her copy of Old Cars Price Guide, assigned a value, and assessed the sales tax. It surprised me, but I can see other states following suit.

• Like 1

Massachusetts used the price guide to assess a tax figure. Then you must abate it. So that just means they stick it to you. If you know how the game is played, you can beat them. The law says they must offer you a hearing at one of a dozen spots. It's "on demand" no appointment necessary. So, if you go to the office at 3 pm on a Friday before a long weekend with a Monday holiday they are never there. Thus, they must do the sales tax figure on the paperwork presented. Last time I did this they tried to refuse me. I stood my ground, even after security was called. And I got my title at the stated number the bill of sale was made for. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Massachusetts used the price guide to assess a tax figure. Then you must abate it. So that just means they stick it to you. If you know how the game is played, you can beat them. The law says they must offer you a hearing at one of a dozen spots. It's "on demand" no appointment necessary. So, if you go to the office at 3 pm on a Friday before a long weekend with a Monday holiday they are never there. Thus, they must do the sales tax figure on the paperwork presented. Last time I did this they tried to refuse me. I stood my ground, even after security was called. And I got my title at the stated number the bill of sale was made for. 

Their use of the price guide is almost comical.  They will also google the car while you are standing there.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

• 2 years later...