Texas Road Warriors ---Auburn Assault: Cars? Museums? Breweries!

old-tank

Use the forum search feature (Buick- General ... "texas road warriors") to find some of our previous (mis)adventures.  It all started 16 years ago: (http://forums.aaca.org/topic/71039-on-the-way-to-batavia/?hl=batavia).

This should serve as fair warning to anybody in our way north of Texas and an invitation to other drivers from Texas to join the fun.  There are no caravans, schedules or other requirements; just a bunch of independent contractors that sometimes end up at the same place.  Also, participants should save up for gas and oil (we're driving Buicks after all) and stock up on sliced Barbeque Brisket and Fajitas...if gas prices go up any more consider baloney sandwiches.

We will leave 7-28  in our 1955 model 63.  A 3 day trip averaging 400+ miles a day.

Willie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don’t mind me if I drive my Coupe De Ville but I will join you in Texarkana.

it’s a bit longer for me. 2 days of 500 miles and then 350 or so on the third.

ACD museum is on or plans.

can’t wait to leave. 

• Like 2

I'm sure the show will be great, wish I could make it.   Make time to visit the ACD museum and the National truck and auto museum (located behind the ACD)  I have been to the ACD several times but only recently had time to go to the other one...not as fancy (the building is the old Cord manufacturing plant) but lots of great cars and truck, as well as a collection of model cars. With the help of Sid Meyer, we were able to find a home for the Reatta convertible prototype at the car and truck museum.

Another great museum is the 500 Speedway museum in Indianapolis.  Located about a mile off the west loop around Indianapolis, and located inside the track you get a onsite prospective to the size of the speedway.   

Have a cold one for me while you are in Auburn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

440 miles at 15.5 mpg.  Car is running great...fantastic car!

It only rained in construction areas so hard I called it a carwash.

Got too close to big cities:  Austin, Waco, Dallas

• Like 8

Found a good meal in Texarkana. The Twisted Fork.  Good beer (Imperial Stout) and good food. I will remember it next time we are hear.  
we have a long ways to go to Illinois today. Looks like over 525 miles. 
More news as it happens.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Be safe. Not sure the direction you are going but if you are on I-70 near Brazil Indiana and find you need help, look me up. I will message you my number. I bet you will be fine but it never hurts to have a source for an area if you need it. 

Made it another 515 miles to Mt.Vernon Illinois.  Got 16 mpg with the AC on. It got hot today. 90-95 for the most part. 
saw some interesting sites on our journey today. The most glaring one is $3.15 for gasoline. I know you are broke Illinois but that is excessive.

Heres a car I saw in a parking lot.Obviously not headed to Auburn. Also a pilot truck on the back of the truck that does the hauling.

6F10AF44-BE9C-45B2-BA53-BD65A8C216CE.jpeg

80582C07-66AF-4CDA-BD49-2E24E3BFF05D.jpeg

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

Made it another 515 miles to Mt.Vernon Illinois.  Got 16 mpg with the AC on. It got hot today. 90-95 for the most part. 
saw some interesting sites on our journey today. The most glaring one is $3.15 for gasoline. I know you are broke Illinois but that is excessive.

Heres a car I saw in a parking lot.Obviously not headed to Auburn. Also a pilot truck on the back of the truck that does the hauling.

6F10AF44-BE9C-45B2-BA53-BD65A8C216CE.jpeg

80582C07-66AF-4CDA-BD49-2E24E3BFF05D.jpeg

Go Bill, Go!  Is that still R12 in the Caddy ac system?

479 miles 16 to17 mpg to

Marion Il running a/c...go figure.

Trucks outnumbred cars esp interstates 20-30-40. I-55 was rougher than a corn cob.

400 miles to go and party time!

• Like 8

411 mi to our destination.  Google maps said it was 396 mi.  I guess the extra mileage were looking around for a place to eat drink poop or pee.  4 miles of traffic jam for 40 minutes  plus another car wash that had speeds going 30 mph but everybody else is doing 80.  Looked under the car and saw 12-in puddle of transmission fluid so I just forgot that I saw that and took off and drove anyway... Maybe it was somebody else maybe not.  Use the air conditioner very little today but with the windows cracked that you hear all the screaming turbos on the trucks.  Anyhow it's party time until the trip home ... Unless I remember to take some pictures.

• Like 10

Cadillac has the state-issues antique plate, whereas the Buick has a 'year of manufacture" antique license plate on it.  FWIW

Glad y'all made it up there just fine.  

Seems like I remember one of Old-Tanks' Buicks getting "The Most Drips" award at a Buicks and Bluebonnets Tour event one year.  Allegedly a puddle of atf under the car, which also allegedly was there when he parked his car there.  BTAIM  Be sure to check the atf level after the car sits and relaxes, for good measure.

Y'all enjoy up thar!

NTX5467

Glad you guys made it!  We are stuck at home currently with some sort of starting issue on my buddy's Ram.  It just goes *click* when you hit the start button.  Raining cats and dogs right now, so we will hang for a bit and let it lighten up before we start diagnosing.  Gotta be either the starter or batteries.  My vote is starter.  Will find out soon enough.  I wish they still had 24 hour parts stores around here.

5 minutes ago, Smartin said:

Glad you guys made it!  We are stuck at home currently with some sort of starting issue on my buddy's Ram.  It just goes *click* when you hit the start button.  Raining cats and dogs right now, so we will hang for a bit and let it lighten up before we start diagnosing.  Gotta be either the starter or batteries.  My vote is starter.  Will find out soon enough.  I wish they still had 24 hour parts stores around here.

My 2018 Ram Eco Diesel did that right as the starter started melting. 

I’ll be in Auburn tonight. Left at 5 this morning, traveling light in a Reatta which helps make better time… 

D9342782-679A-42F1-9D6A-4DFDDCA4C5ED.jpeg

• Like 5

I would be on the road headed to Chicago if I had the choice...won't leave anyone behind, though.  We will get there soon enough.  Today looks like it will be burned up with the late start.  Will make it for dinner.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I made it too but was to tired to type yesterday.  
On our way we went to the Indy track and took a tour. Got to,ride in a bus on a lap around the track at 30 mph.  Once we got off they had a ton of new Corvettes giving rides to local dealers. They only got to go about 100 though. I wish I could have gone.

Took a few side roads to avoid traffic and that was fun. Saw some pretty flowers and small towns that reminded me of where I grew up in Illinois. One thing I don’t see any more are Dairy farms, I guess the big cop rations have taken over from the small family owned dairies. We used to milk 200 head. 
Here are some pictures from yesterday….

a

243BEDC2-2DCB-40FF-880F-94C5AE4118C9.jpeg

9BC667EA-40A2-4C55-AD17-8872C466D6E4.jpeg

92C93160-8C73-4B5A-9C41-990C405D453A.jpeg

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I have had a long week trying to get a trailer ready. I will not start driving my Jetfire on long trips till next year so I am trailering it. My cousin brought the trailer and the tires were all bad and found a broken leaf spring then broke a wheel stud taking the tires off. Spent Tuesday and Wednesday dealing with that and now this morning went to unload his racecar but he has the doors locked and didn't give me the keys, lol. At least it is trailer troubles and at home with those troubles. It is pouring rain anyway so I will have to wait till later to load up. Headed out at 6:00 AM tomorrow.   

• Like 5

While driving the 55 around town it was called to my attention that my brake lights were not working.  Checked the fuse and it was okay.  Finally found my bright tach light that I remembered to pack but forgot where I put it.  Turns out a wire had come loose from the brake light switch.  Mudbone had a lucky guess without even looking at it.  Now it's back to party time after I dig all the grease out from under my fingernails.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Just ate at Mad Anthony…good stuff and great beer!

1A99327C-7DD4-4094-A077-85A1AA58E230.jpeg

• Like 7

Willie had brake light issues I had a rock take out my drivers side turn signal. No tools that work on this torqx screws so had the guy at Auto Zone replace it for me and tipped him well for spending 30 minutes on the asphalt in the sun.

We went to Auburn Cord Dsenburg museum and the National car and truck museum. Saw and sat in the Futureliner.  Pretty neat and it’s a heck of a climb up to the seat. There are three seats up there. 1 for the driver and 2 passengers.  Talk about blind spot, you could smash a Prius and not even notice it.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, old-tank said:

Now it's back to party time after I dig all the grease out from under my fingernails.

Grease???  From motor oil or atf?  I discovered than an oil-base cleaner works well at disolving such accumulations under one's finger nails.  Natural-source sun tan oil works, too!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, old-tank said:

Now it's back to party time after I dig all the grease out from under my fingernails.

Just hold your hands under the dynaflow for a minute, ATF makes a great hand cleaner.... rinse with beer...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

The show is over and I am tired. I judged Reattas and Roadmaster for the BCA. Lots of fun and lots of nice cars. Brian put together a good show.

My Cadillac got judged for HPOF class (Historic preservation of Features). In other words, how original is the car. I knew a couple of issues but the judges decided I was worthy of a nice plaque. YEA !

Lots of nice cars on the show field including race cars and old tow trucks. Now on to Nashville for a few days.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2