Dodge/plymouth artillery wheels for sale

I have a set of four artillery wheels that I believe are 16", 10 hole 5 on 4 1/2" pattern for Dodge or Plymouth.  They are not real pretty, but should clean up ok with some sandblasting.  I've got $300 in them and would like to get that back.  $300 if picked up in Davenport, FL or $400 shipped to US lower 48 address.

IMG_5293.JPG

IMG_5290.JPG

IMG_5291.JPG

IMG_5292.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This is a Dodge wheel: (You'll note that it has fourteen "spokes" and fourteen corresponding holes between the spoke-like shapes.) Dodges used lug bolts rather than lug studs and nuts like Plymouth did. Plymouth wheels used a locating pin to help in placing the wheel on the hub. As a result, Plymouth wheels had an extra hole between the lug holes to place the wheel on when mounting to the wheel.

image.jpeg.7790e7e47b24543e848d439adbb4cfaf.jpeg

This is a Plymouth artillery wheel. Note the different number of "spokes" and holes. It was also used on Dodge trucks, because it was less prone to bending than the Dodge one pictured above:

Image 1 - Original 1930's Dodge Plymouth 16”x 4” Artillery Steel Wheel 5x4.5 bolt pattern 

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2022 at 3:28 PM, Hudsy Wudsy said:

This is a Dodge wheel: (You'll note that it has fourteen "spokes" and fourteen corresponding holes between the spoke-like shapes.) Dodges used lug bolts rather than lug studs and nuts like Plymouth did. Plymouth wheels used a locating pin to help in placing the wheel on the hub. As a result, Plymouth wheels had an extra hole between the lug holes to place the wheel on when mounting to the wheel.

image.jpeg.7790e7e47b24543e848d439adbb4cfaf.jpeg

This is a Plymouth artillery wheel. Note the different number of "spokes" and holes. It was also used on Dodge trucks, because it was less prone to bending than the Dodge one pictured above:

Image 1 - Original 1930's Dodge Plymouth 16”x 4” Artillery Steel Wheel 5x4.5 bolt pattern 

What a great explanation HW. 

Very good of you to take the time and educate those of us who have always looked at these wheels like a lost puppy. 

I never had any use for understanding it but am grateful for a very good explanation for those that might need it someday. 

I wish more guys would take the time to help others fwiw.

Kudos 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I guess that while I'm on the subject, I'll mention again that the Dodge wheels are rather flawed in that they tend to bend rather easily. If you'll notice the area between and around the lugholes on the Dodge wheel, you'll see that the metal is rather flat. The Plymouth wheel has raised areas between the lugholes. These raised areas act like gussets to strengthen this important part of the wheel. The Dodge wheels will bend in this area between the lugholes. It's just speculation on my part, but I've always believed that is why pickup trucks, of both Dodge and Plymouth brands, came from the factory with the "Plymouth" style wheels.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1