Locomobile Model 90 Gathering Place

alsfarms

• alsfarms changed the title to Locomobile Model 90 Gathering Place
  • 1 month later...

I was watching this model 90. It was out of a CA collection and failed to sell a few times but recently sold at auction and flipped by a mid-west dealer. The ad copy suggests only 3 exist but who knows? I was wondering something of the same question. A little unusual to downsize the top model. I wonder what the performance characteristics of this new 6 cylinder was at the time against the competition. My take on the body: although a few inches shorter than the 48 and this particular one seems to be sitting a little higher (comparing wheel hubs to frame rails) although that may have been the design. It thus looks less sleek. There are very few photos of a full side view possibly for this reason. Any thoughts from the experts?

loco.jpeg

• Like 1

Prewarnut....Could you download more pictures of this or other Locomobile Model 90's?  Both Locomobile and Pierce-Arrow could see a market shift coming and only a very narrow market for the top of the American 48 offerings.   Pierce-Arrow replaced the 48 earlier with a smaller  Model 32, 33 and 36 along with the Model 80 and 81.  Locomobile held the top of the market 48 as well as introducing the smaller 8's and a competitor for the Pierce-Arrow models with the introduction of the Model 90.  I am not sure the the advertising suggestion that only three Model 90 Locomobile's exist is low.  However, the Model 90 is a rare automobile that shouldn't be understated.  Any other pictures of Model 90's still existing, I would hope find their way here.  I would like to see under the hood of a Model 90.

Al

I pulled this from the web but if you search for model 90 images essentially only this car comes up but from different vantages as offered by a few auction houses and it's recent seller with whitewalls "de-whited" and tan tire covers removed. I think this was a '27. There are under the hood shots of this car with a black painted crank case and brass water compartment covers if I remember right. This engine is monoblock and not made of paired heads like the earlier ones Apparently this was designed and built in-house in Bridgeport. It would be interesting to know how it performed and whether the engineering paid off given it wouldn't stay in the market place long.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I would like to take this moment to wish all those who read and participate on the Locomobile forums a Merry Christmas, fun Holidays and the best the New Year has to offer. Thanks for your contributions whether simply as a reader or a contributor. Long live Locomobile!

Al

• 1 month later...

Hi Al you were talking about model 90 Locomobile I own a 1926 model 90 7 passenger suburban with the division window and duel side mounts. My car is one of the cars registered with the Locomobile society. I bought this car with I was 13 years old and have owned it ever sense and im 66 years old now. Im restoring it now. You wanted to see a model 90 engine this is when I was building my engine.

2001-12-31 23.00.00-41.jpg

2001-12-31 23.00.00-36.jpg

2001-12-31 23.00.00-31.jpg

2001-12-31 23.00.02-1.jpg

2017-12-08 16.33.28.jpg

• Like 5

Hello, Thanks for sharing pictures of your Model 90 Locomobile. Could you share a bit of back story to your Locomobile, how you came to buy it rather than a Model T or Model A like most of us started with.  Could you also share more in progress pictures as your restoration moved along.  What were some of the largest hurdles you encountered?  Did you happen to take a first start video of your engine after rebuild?  By the way, if the engine runs as good as it looks.....you have done well!

Al

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)

Hello D WIlliams, I am thinking about your Locomobile 90.  Could you share additional pictures of your Locmobile in its as found condition?  Was it still original at that time or had it already had the hand of restoration applied?  I am particularly interested in paint, trim, window detail and other things such as interior lighting, switching, window hardware and etc.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Spelling (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

1926 Locomobile Model 90 project in the works. I am about 8 years into this project and it has been very rewarding. I wound up with a 60 year collection of both Model 90 and Model 8-80  Loco parts. Trailer after trailer of rusty parts mixed together. The 8-80 parts are still in limbo, the Model 90 became the challenge. The project is based on the remnants of a bog pump ( stripped down Loco #33160 )and another chassis that was converted into a hay wagon in upstate NY. The cowl forward is original to 33160, body is a chopped up RR Brewster Lonsdale, front fenders are 1916 Stutz, and the remaining bits are scratch made.  The engine is original to 33160. This project would be no where close to this complete without E-bay to source parts. Thank you to all who have helped in this process.

Ben

P7040065.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

For posterity and to keep current, the model 90 from last year's 8/4 post (and given it's recent discussion on the model 48 thread) previously owned by Cliff Durant was a no sale, bid to $50K on BAT. Morale of the story, continuing to make small improvements and short-term flipping is fine, until you can't....

• Like 1

Sure, same vehicle with removal of the whitewalls (tires remain the same however so not sure how they blackened them) and the luggage cover. A critique in the BAT comments section from someone who viewed the car previously was that the brightwork was chromed (should have been nickel), and the exterior had been repainted and reupholstered. Overall I think it presents nicely despite potentially not having it's original finishes.

1927 Locomobile Model 90 Sportif

• Like 1

Thanks for this picture and update!  This Locomobile, to me, looks more stately with the blackwall tires.  The radiator shell does look more blue like chrome than the luster of nickel.  I question the front bumper.  But all in all, this 90 looks to be nice.  I hope the seller can find a good care taker for it.  I wonder if the back windshield is factory or an add on?  Does anyone know how these Model 90's were equipped from the factory?

• Like 1

Locomobile #33160 has it's original chassis, engine, cowl, hood and radiator, that was about it. The rest of the car is a blend of parts. The headlights just landed where they landed. #33160 could be described accurately two completely different ways: 1) A numbers matching Locomobile "sportif" by Brewster, or 2) A cranberry bog pump power source, a hay wagon, a dilapidated   RR Limo body all stuck together by an automotive enthusiast with no formal wood or metalworking training past Jr High School. Either way you look at it there is one more roadworthy Locomobile available for use.  I still need to complete the rear seat upholstery and install the top.  Thanks for looking, Ben

P8050008.JPG

P8050007.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, John Bloom said:

Just ran across this photo of a Loco 90 Victoria.  What a great looking car.  Wondering if it survived?  Anyone recognize it?  

The photo is labeled as from San Francisco circa 1930's.  

image.png.51759cdd454813565737b13cddba6918.png

John, it is clearly mislabeled as it is a 48.   I hope it survived but I have never seen a post war picture of it.

• Like 1

Based on the spark and throttle quadrant as well as the radiator filler neck being internally threaded, I believe that this is a Model 48 Loco. Front brakes, bumper, and ballon tires indicate a later model. I do love the body style. Does anyone have thoughts on who may have been the coachbuilder?

Thanks, Ben

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, alsancle said:

John, it is clearly mislabeled as it is a 48.   I hope it survived but I have never seen a post war picture of it.

I thought that too, based on many features about the car, however when I looked at the loco 90 project listed above in this thread, and saw the treatment of the front part of the cabin with the small side panel windows and the flaring on the side, I doubted myself.

image.jpeg.099662e8bb376363c85baef7d689918e.jpeg

16 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

I thought that too, based on many features about the car, however when I looked at the loco 90 project listed above in this thread, and saw the treatment of the front part of the cabin with the small side panel windows and the flaring on the side, I doubted myself.

image.jpeg.099662e8bb376363c85baef7d689918e.jpeg

You know what?  Now I'm not sure.   Maybe it is a 90?

• Like 1