1988 Reatta Climate Control Problem

KarstenBln

Hello,

I am new to this forum and own a 1988 blue Coupé in Germany. Some problems here and there, but generally the car is just great. I do have a problem with the climate control. Almost every time after ten minutes drive it just crashes. No function of any button an the CRT (but just the climate menu; radio, options, etc. are running fine). The dashboard says electrical problem. When I look at the error codes, nothing abut the climate is shown. Sometimes it crashes and I don't even get to the service menu. Sometimes after half an hour everything is fine again, sometimes it stays crashed until the end of the ride. Any help would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Zero replies... So, maybe this will help: It crashes regularely but after 20 minutes or so it comes back. Then you can also look at the codes saying "loss of CRTC-DATA" (History)...

On 6/20/2021 at 2:39 AM, KarstenBln said:

I do have a problem with the climate control. Almost every time after ten minutes drive it just crashes.

Please explain what you mean by climate control crash. That would be helpful.

Hi Ronnie, of course. I start the car, so does the CRT. After ten minutes the climate window on the CRT just freezes. No touch button reacts. All other windows are working properly, in "summary" you cannot change the temperature. The IPC shows "electrical problem". After 20 minutes or so, the climate control reacts again and you can also enter the service menu. Sometimes later it freezes again. No error code is shown, just B355 History.

I assume you mean code B335. I could not find a code B355. Below is what the service manual says about a code B335. The first thing I would do is make certain the cover on on the ALDL connection under the dash before proceeding to troubleshoot the code B335.

code 335.png

It might be the car thinks it is in "accessory" mode which means only the radio page responds on the CRT. Next time that happens press the radio hard button and then go back to temperature page and see if that makes it work.

• Like 1

Thank for your advises. Sorry, its B335 not B355. The ALDL ist covered, but I will use some contact spray. Maybe it helps...

@ Dave: I don't think so, it's only the climate which is not responding, all others like radio, gauges, options, summary are working well.

The CRTC is the small attached module on the right side of the CRT, right? You don't think, it could be related to the climate control modul itself?

I recently had an issue where my compressor stopped coming on after I switched out my CRT. I thought it was low on refrigerant. But my dad looked at it for me and determined it was full of refrigerant. There is a sticker attached to the cover above the radiator that gives some instructions to reset the compressor and computer control in the car. Basically, it said to disconnect the battery for a period of a minute or so and then reconnect. Once we did this, the compressor came back on. Prior to this, the car would beep and the crt would say "climate control problem detected-low refrigerant." It did cool like that for a while but once I changed the CRT the compressor would not come on at all. Since resetting the computer the compressor has worked perfectly and blows ice cold.

• Like 1