Authenticity Manuals

Ohjai

Is there Authenticity Manuals for the various Buicks?  One of the other Clubs I belong have Manuals available for purchase for different classes of cars.  These manuals help me understand my cars.

Thanks

Jim

What model year of Buick do you have or are interested in? 

In general, "authenticity manuals" regarding the judging of Buicks at the (usually) annual meets will include the BCA Judging Manual, the respective new car sales literature, and the respective Buick factory service manual (usually "chassis" and "body" manuals).

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

• Like 1

I just purchased a 1962 Skylark Convertible and have the manuals on order, They should be here this week.  Last year I joined the Cadillac-LaSalle Club (CLC) and discovered they have Authenticity Manuals for their different classes of cars.  This made me wonder if there is anything similar available for the Buicks.  These manuals are the source documents for judging the cars.

Jim

Jim,

There is no such thing for the Buicks.  The judging manual covers some things but it isn't the same as the Cadillac books.

You have to depend on good examples of the cars you are working on and the knowledge of others. National Meets (when they are held again) are a great source of mainly proper cars.

Good luck and ask lots of questions..

• Like 3

Thanks Bill.  You pointed me to where I needed to go.  I have been googling mostly on Buick sites, but somehow missed these.  I came across one  of the sites, but did not scroll down far enough.  Had to use 3 sites to get this information, and still have 2 un-identified codes.

So far I interpret my code as 

Build dat 03B = 2nd week of March

Style 62-4367  1962 4 = Buick; 0 = 4000 Series V8, Convertible 2-door; FB = Flint MI; 492 = Production sequence

Trim 187  Black Vinyl;  AA  A + Lower Body Color Black,  A = Upper Body Color Black;  1 + ????  (perhaps it indicates a convertible top)

ACC A6 = ?????;  I7 =  Soft-Ray tinted glass - windshield only 

Jim

21 minutes ago, Ohjai said:

Thanks Bill.  You pointed me to where I needed to go.  I have been googling mostly on Buick sites, but somehow missed these.  I came across one  of the sites, but did not scroll down far enough.  Had to use 3 sites to get this information, and still have 2 un-identified codes.

So far I interpret my code as 

Build dat 03B = 2nd week of March

Style 62-4367  1962 4 = Buick; 0 = 4000 Series V8, Convertible 2-door; FB = Flint MI; 492 = Production sequence

Trim 187  Black Vinyl;  AA  A + Lower Body Color Black,  A = Upper Body Color Black;  1 + ????  (perhaps it indicates a convertible top)

ACC A6 = ?????;  I7 =  Soft-Ray tinted glass - windshield only 

Jim

While I am not very familiar with the 62's, in prior years the number in the color would indeed indicate convertible top color.

• Like 1

Thanks Lance, you think the 1 would indicate a White top on a Black painted body?

Jim

Old-tank, that is a great suggestion, only one problem.  The list of Technical Advisors does not include anyone for the 61-63 Special/Skylarks. 😢

5 hours ago, Ohjai said:

. . . you think the 1 would indicate a White top on a Black painted body? . . . 

-  Correcto mundo on "1" = a White convertible top according to Sean's similar post:  https://forums.aaca.org/topic/317062-1962-buick-special-convertible-acc-codes-and-v8-questions/

-  Your best bet would be to send Sean a Private Message for an explanation on your Accessory code A6. It might be related to the type of transmission you have since code A7 = a four-speed manual transmission. What do you have for a transmission?

Thanks.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint" 

• Thanks 1

(Seems like there were decodes for the Body Tag in the GM Parts books back then?)

As for the basic vehicle model number, "4" would have probably been "Buick Special" (any engine), "3" would have indicated the trim level of Buick Special, with "67" being convertible.  NO engine codes in that number, but "6" or "8" would have been related to ONE digit in the full VIN.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• Like 1

I found this site that has the VIN, Body Number, Trim, Engine Specs and more, plus link to download Chassis Service Manuals.  

The manuals are free if you want to download them a section at a time, but for $10.00 you can download the whole thing at one time.  I think it is a pretty interesting Buick site.

teambuick.com/reference/index.php

• Like 1