Well, I guess this is how the ignorant view us...

rocketraider

A not so unusual, ignorant view that was first brought to my attention  40 plus years ago and more then several times from there on is,

Antique and vintage car owners and colllectors are all gay..

Gay people are the ones who apparently appreciate collect things that others(others?) don't.

WRONG! 

They are just as idiotic as straight folks(and others) in this regard, ha!

Even in some gay circles the veiw is held that vintage car owners are gay. 

How do I know?

Ask Reggie, who tried to pick me up at a Mobile station while I filling up a Model T in New Haven a fews years back.

A Yale kid with daddy issues I guess ,or was it the narrow waist and broad shoulders I still had back then?

Naw, It was the car..it was the car, I'm sure of it.😀

Edited by Flivverking
Oops (see edit history)
  • Haha 3

I was under the impression that if the automobile manufacture date pre-dates the use of _____________ (and it can be proven so), and the owner has legally registered it as such,  can he/she be fined for things that were not required when it was manufactured?  Lot of antiques running out there without catalytic converters or front brakes...  I seem to remember the exception is if you want to have children as passengers, there must be seat belts retrofitted.  The last one makes sense but I would guess it varies from state to state....

Edited by MikeC5 (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, MikeC5 said:

I was under the impression that if the automobile manufacture date pre-dates the use of _____________ (and it can be proven so), and the owner has legally registered it as such,  can he/she be fined for things that were not required when it was manufactured?  Lot of antiques running out there without catalytic converters or front brakes...  I seem to remember the exception is if you want to have children as passengers, there must be seat belts retrofitted.  The last one makes sense but I would guess it varies from state to state....

That is the law, typically. Of course, cartoonists are not exactly students of the law.

• Like 1

Fliv,

There is a large gay community here in Palm Springs and many of them are vintage/collector car owners and enthusiasts, and I have to say, their cars are usually meticulously maintained.  The weather is beautiful year round (maybe a little too hot in summer) so seeing these vintage cars on the road regularly is very common here. 

I remember being a little surprised the first time I heard the expression "gay clean" in reference to a car.  This term is not at all derogatory and regularly used, in fact (I know this sounds crazy but) it is high praise indeed and goes to reference the highest standard of detailed cleanliness a vintage car can have.  

California, ....who'd a thunk it?  :lol:

1 hour ago, GregLaR said:

Fliv,

There is a large gay community here in Palm Springs and many of them are vintage/collector car owners and enthusiasts, and I have to say, their cars are usually meticulously maintained.  The weather is beautiful year round (maybe a little too hot in summer) so seeing these vintage cars on the road regularly is very common here. 

I remember being a little surprised the first time I heard the expression "gay clean" in reference to a car.  This term is not at all derogatory and regularly used, in fact (I know this sounds crazy but) it is high praise indeed and goes to reference the highest standard of detailed cleanliness a vintage car can have.  

Now this just proves I have to get out more often.  First it was jumping the shark and now it gay clean!  What about Mr. Clean, am I missing something there too?  How about a Members Only jacket and owning a Firebird?  I am sure glad I hang out here and learn new stuff every day!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Fliv,

Does this apply to most of the judges as well? The ones I've seen over the years seem pretty (dare I say) "meticulous"...

2 hours ago, TerryB said:

What about Mr. Clean, am I missing something there too?  How about a Members Only jacket and owning a Firebird?

Wayal... Mr Clean had that earring before it was cool or common for guys to have them. When I was a kid I couldn't decide if he was a pirate or a genie, because they were all I knew that wore an earring.☺️ Maybe he was the genesis of the gay clean compliment?

Now, the MO jacket and the Firebird ain't complete unless you got a big plastic 🌶 hanging off the mirror!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Fliv,

I might start carrying around a picture of my filthy garage in case people get the wrong idea about me. 😄

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Haha 3

My insight. I have, and have had gay customers in the past. Not all are neat and tidy but most are. The collections are phenomenal. And they are good folks and have no problem paying for my services of keeping their fleet running and driving. One even told me I had a nice a$$ once. My responds was, "Miss Patty tells me that all the time." That ended that part of the conversation. Back to Automobiles. Most have no children so they have more money to spend on other things. Seems for some at least, automobiles fill the void. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Back on topic well sort of anyway that Dilbert comic reminds me of a conversation I had with my 10 year old daughter not long ago.

I was reading an add for a project car and was having a chuckle at how the add finished with “tyre kickers and time wasters welcome”  When I read this to my daughter she was laughing too but more then me! I asked why it was soo funny and her reply was “aren’t you all time wasters you know you fix the car, you drive the car a little then you have to fix it again why don’t you just buy a new one?” I had a good laugh too then. Oh and she knew exactly what she said as she had a little twinkle in her eye that said Oh this will wind dad up🤣🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Credits to Dave Granlund, politicalcartoons.com for this 6/16/2021 panel. Also to HB and Mr Flintstone.

older-vehicles-on-us-roads.png

Ahhhhh, but it's not a motor vehicle you idiot! So, get back in your Police car and pick on someone else. Oh yeah, go on a diet.

35 minutes ago, hook said:

Ahhhhh, but it's not a motor vehicle you idiot! So, get back in your Police car and pick on someone else. Oh yeah, go on a diet.

Easy on the Donuts. 😬😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Had a neighbor who, like many, didn't "get" old cars or old whatever. He'd see me piddling on one and come over to yak and often said "I like NEW cars. Something you don't have to work on."

Drove Hondas and traded in when they got 50k on them. Never mind a Honda was nowhere close to worn out at 50k, he still had the mindset that when a car reached 50k or was about to go out of warranty, you needed to get rid of it. Good neighbor though.

None of the Forum members whom have commented received compensation for their comments. The author of the cartoon got a couple of bags of groceries to put on his kitchen table. That is my simplistic view of of "journalism" for hire, they did it for a buck. I have warned my children about that motivation and cautioned them to keep that in mind.

Actually Dave Grandlund is probably in violation of copyright laws, apology or not, but then he may be the type who feels it is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission, an ignorance all in itself.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JamesR said:

I remember being a little surprised the first time I heard the expression "gay clean" in reference to a car.

This is the first that I have heard this term, but understand it completely.

I am more into the mechanicals than the looks myself.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

Actually Dave Grandlund is probably in violation of copyright laws, apology or not, but then he may be the type who feels it is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission, an ignorance all in itself.

That's why I made sure to credit him, his syndicate, Hanna-Barbera, and Fred!🙂

20 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Fliv,

I used to live on the Central California coast. There are lots of car people in that area, lots of hot rods, modified cars, in fact a lot more than the stone stock cars we all like here. One day at the weekly Saturday donut gathering a good friend says to me " there is a gay pride cars show down in San Luis Obispo next week and I think you would like it". He said don't worry - just go for the cars. So I went and was I glad I did. There were so many cars you just don't see at your average car show or cruise, and not just early cars but cars of the 60's 70's 80's. When did you last go to to you're average car show and see a line of 225's, Wildcats, Riv's- and Riv Boat Tails, Chrysler Imperials, Newports, Saratoga's. In the Cadillac line one guy brought a trio of 61's,  a Coupe deVille, Convertible and one of those short deck 4 door hardtops ( a easy parking city car as I remember Cadillac saying- I hadn't seen one of those in years. I talked to the guy and asked him where he found his cars. He said he and his partner were interior decorators in  Beverly Hills and they get many of their cars from their clients and by seeing some of these cars in the neighborhoods they work in. These guys had a house in Beverly Hills and Palm Springs and they belong to a Southern Ca. Gay club that meets up with the San Francisco area gay car club every year with the so. cal. in the middle ( the central coast ). It's about a 250 mile drive from L.A. or Frisco to San Luis Obispo and 90+% drive their cars to the show. 

I'm telling you if you are tired of the same old car show and want to see some forgotten types of cars don't miss one of these shows.   

• Like 1

I am not sure how or why this thread drifted this way? Regardless.

On the "They don't 'get' us antique car folks" subject. 

A few decades back, my wife and I lived in a rented house in a fairly nice 1960s neighborhood. Of course, most of our hundred or so neighbors knew me as the crazy old car guy. One day, a weekend holiday, one of our neighbors across the street had a family emergency. I never heard exactly what it was. But his modern (only) car had blown a radiator hose that morning. All the automobile parts houses were closed, and he needed to go a quick hundred miles! Guess who's door he knocked on. Now, of course, I didn't have a proper four turns double offset radiator hose to replace his blown one. But I had several pieces of appropriate size hose with a turn or two, some steel conduit (proper size) and numerous hose clamps. It took about twenty minutes to have his hose spliced up and ready to pour my gallon of fresh coolant in!

I guess the 'crazy old car guy' might be nice to be around.

On the other drift? Like almost everything to do with people, one should not overly generalize others. While there are many things that some tendencies may follow other generalizations? People are people. Good people are good people, and bad people are bad people, regardless of their 'orientations'. I have always had gay friends, even in grade school (believe it or not). Many of my longest time good friends are gay, as well as a few of the people (actually on the whole a short list) I consider my BEST friends.

A lot of people in the antique automobile hobby are gay. And most of those people are very good people. I have also, through work or other associations, met many gay people that were not involved with antique automobiles. I met a few one time that were in a motorcycle gang! And no, you did not want to pick a fight with THAT crowd! 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

..."journalism" for hire, they did it for a buck. I have warned my children about that motivation and cautioned them to keep that in mind.

I like your idea, Bernie, of not doing things

merely for money.  There are far higher motivations.

But don't worry, I doubt there's a copyright issue.

The law is very lenient when parody is involved.

With a few rare exceptions, the gay folks in my acquaintance have had impeccable taste and sense of style and design. They also don't like the ordinary and pedestrian which is probably why they have such extraordinary cars.

There used to be a fellow down in Buickland who was a member of the Lambda Car Club and it was in his sig line. He had several really cool Buicks but I don't think he's been active on Forums in years.

Bottom line we're all linked by a common love of cars, and all of us have to keep the anti-old car wolves at bay. 

• Like 1

Good grief, are we really having a thread to discuss whether gay people are inherently cleaner and have better taste than non gay people on a car forum? The censors...oops, I mean moderators must be off today. Does this mean race, religion and politics are open for discussion too? I hear the Baptist can detail a car better then anyone.🙄

Edited by prewar (see edit history)
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, prewar said:

Good grief, are we really having a thread to discuss whether gay people are inherently cleaner and have better taste than non gay people on a car forum? The censors...oops, I mean moderators must be off today. Does this mean race, religion and politics are open for discussion too? I hear the Baptist can detail a car better then anyone.🙄

The Baptists just scare the car into being cleaner! 

KIDDING! Just kidding!

Really, only kidding!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Don't be. It was informative and like all good discussions made me think, and realise there are as many kinds of folks who love cars as there are kinds of cars. 

We have to stick together to keep the ignorant from viewing our old cars as clunkers or nuisances. I've had two of my 950+ point Oldsmobiles called "clunker" by ignorants who had no idea of the time, money and work that had gone into them and worse didn't care.

I find this conversation about ignorance even funnier today after going shopping for a new sound system for my 1990 Toyota Land Cruiser ute and being told that I should talk to the wreckers as “We definitely wouldn’t have anything to suit something that old.” 🙄 This comment actually made me very angry as this ute has cost my business less money in the last 30 years then our newer Landcruiser has in the last 5 years. I told the bloke it’s only a 30 year old vehicle not 90 like my other ones he was still sitting there with his mouth open  catching flies as I walked out heading for a different store.

• Haha 2

On 6/20/2021 at 7:58 PM, BobinVirginia said:

As a teenager in the early 90’s car guys were looked upon as ignorant rednecks. Funny how the snob people that thought that can’t afford my recreational vehicles now. 

Here's one;

image_webp.ade045199fb57edd4644cc85c2feac3eand another, these red necks scare me to death.Old Lady Car Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images

26 minutes ago, Buick35 said:

I hope I don't get kicked off but why do most old pickup trucks have Trump bumper stickers? 

If this is meant to be a riddle, then my answer is:

"To cover up the Nixon bumper stickers, which are covering the Goldwater bumper stickers." 😉

• Haha 3