1947 Ford Mercury Woody

This might sound like a silly question but are the dipstick tube fixings anchored / captivated on the inside of the sump ?  I don't want to remove the tube to cure an oil leak to find that I then have to remove the sump to recover the nuts / anchor plate from the inside . TIA for the help, info.   Rob

The dipstick tube just screws into the boss on the oil pan. The boss is riveted to the oil pan and the pan must be removed to replace or repair the boss.

The boss should not be leaking where it connects to the pan, there should be no pressure in the sump and splashes should just drain down into the pan. Where is yours leaking?

19tom40    Mine appears to be leaking from where the tube affixes to the sump ( 3 screws I think ) I presumed it has a gasket or seal between the tube and sump. Perhaps leaking from between the boss and the sump. I will wash it off and see if it's obvious. Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Edited by rob macwhirter (see edit history)

If you have three screws attaching the boss to the tank, the boss was replaced at some time in the past. In any case you will have to remove the oil pan to service the boss. A new boss and gasket are available from several vendors.

https://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/cgcat.php?searchtype=Search+%23&x=x&year_choice=40&searchtextdesc=brake+drum&searchnumber=59a-6751

Thanks for the info , I think I will just run with the oil leak ( not a bad one ) until I get around to removing the engine for a rebuild , which it needs but I can't afford to do at the moment . Once again thanks for the info , much appreciated . Regards Rob.

hanks 

You should make sure that the little triangle at the front of the oil pan is clean and that the oil breather cap on the fuel pump stand is also clean. If these are plugged, you will pressurize the oil pan, resulting in leaks.

• Like 1

Hi.  Thanks for the tip . I will check tomorrow . Possibly crankcase pressure as it doesn't pull up hills very well, other more pressing less expensive jobs though . I believe it hasn't run for at least 40 odd years . The gearbox is clattering like a bag of nails , the UK answer would be some sawdust in the oil if you can't afford or don't want to fix it . A Portuguese mechanic has recommended smashed up pasta !

I heard that the South American fix is coffee grounds. That fix is only good for 100 miles or the end of the driveway, whichever comes first.

If you are in the UK, I would suggest that you find a good used transmission to replace your noisy one. The shipping charges on parts to repair the one in the car would be more than the cost of a good used one. Once you have found one, you can pull the engine and transmission and have the engine overhauled. That way you will have to pull the engine only once.

• Like 1

Hi.  Thanks for the tip . I will check tomorrow . Possibly crankcase pressure as it doesn't pull up hills very well, other more pressing less expensive jobs though . I believe it hasn't run for at least 40 odd years . The gearbox is clattering like a bag of nails , the UK answer would be some sawdust in the oil if you can't afford or don't want to fix it . A Portuguese mechanic has recommended smashed up pasta !

I am in Portugal , have an overhaul kit coming from the USA for the gearbox. ,the plan is to pull the box out through the floor and rebuild it in the winter , save some money and do the engine next year. It's quite usable over short distances ( 8-12miles) as long as you don't hold a constant speed . Trouble is I have other toys that need money and attention .

Are you sure that the noise is coming from inside the transmission and not the universal joint at the rear of the transmission? If it is coming from inside the transmission, I would not drive the car. There may be broken parts inside that could cause the case to break.

To pull the transmission through the floor, you must pull the rear end back about 18" - 24". You can do this by removing the shock  connections to the axle, disconnecting the emergency brake and rear brake hose, removing the rear transmission mount, removing the bottom plate on the center mount of the spring, removing the rear wheels and jacking the car up high enough to allow the spring to clear the fuel tank. You will also have to jack up the transmission in order to access the lower universal joint bolts. Be sure to support the engine while the transmission is out of the car.

You will not be able to replace the clutch without removing the oil pan, that is why I recommended waiting until you could afford to pull the engine.

There are regional Groups of the Early Ford V-8 Club in the UK and Denmark. You might want to contact one of them to find more resources in Europe. Before Brexit, the UK would have been the best place to look for resources, but now I don't know if you are better off looking in Denmark. Here is a link to the Regional Groups all over the world.

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/Regional_Club_Directory.cfm

Hi. 

That.s really useful information , it may very well be the universal joint . It does seem to be in the box as when I got the car there was next to no oil in the box, having put thicker oil in the box it takes longer from starting for the noise to happen , i.e. the box oil needs to warm up , it only occurs at a constant speed , gone when accelerating or decelerating , worse at higher speeds . Worse in second than third , there in both and only slightly in first, maybe main or output shaft bearing . 

It does sound like I am better to pull the engine even if I only repair the box and clutch . 

Once again thanks for the info and Club Directory.

Best Regards Rob.