Thank a fellow member

7 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

What happened to Bozo? !!!!!

I’m still Bozo, just a new avatar. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Grimy said:

You got THAT right, Ed!

Mark the calendar.........George agrees with me!

I’m BACK!

454C7734-C75E-4191-A64D-FB66994ABF8E.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, edinmass said:

It was a great moment in my car collecting history...........and I still have Dad's D/C........the Series B was stripped for parts and sold in the mid 80's. I actually found it again, and sold every part my father pulled off of it back to the current car owner who then did a 100 point restoration on it. Part of the deal was I got to drive it when it was finished.......that never happened. To my knowledge, its never been driven after the restoration and is sitting since the early 90's. 

That car brought back memories to me, too.  I first saw the car, or at least a frame and boxes of parts, in 1985.  It was in the garage of a beautiful home in Dallas, along with 10 or more other cars (big garage).  I too became friends with owner, and was delighted to meet his son and grandson at the Pierce meet.  Fred, the owner in 1985, never finished the car before he passed.  In his will it was left to his son, with a sum of money and the stipulation that it must be restored.  I was very glad to see it was not only beautifully restored, but kept in the family.

I’d thank Ed for helping me, only thing is we were friends before this forum came along, and he’s helped me with a lot of things over the years, so it wouldn’t really be a “forum” thanks.

Numerous other people have come to my aid over the years, and some even to my house to visit.  Open invitation, if you’re in the Winchester Virginia area, come sign my garage door!

• Like 1

I’m an interloper being a Brit on an American forum , but have never felt that way because of the friendly tone of responses shown to me from fellow members who share a love for this classic car hobby.

I have noticed how most members treat all posters from many regions of the world  with civility, kindness in their efforts to help with queries , technical help and obvious commitment and unselfishness approach to their own valuable time they must utilise to generate interesting threads and respond to the diversity of questions .

i don’t think I’m entitled to name individuals but we all know who the major ‘saints’ are , but I’m sure they know I appreciate their efforts in enlightening many of us and help they provide to all who ask.

i didn’t know Carl , apart from mutual appreciation shown to posts ,  but it’s obvious from your responses above he was one of these forum saints , so I respect him and add my condolences .

Finally all I can say the members make this forum and its a great place to be .

• Like 1

The one thing that is not forgettable is that as much as you think you know about your series of car, it’s amazing how much you don’t know!

I focus on 1927 to 1931 Cadillacs. Mostly 8’s. I am pretty familiar with these cars. I’ve owned dozens, more parts cars which I’ve disassembled for parts then drivers but still very acquainted with them. I am constantly amazed at the number of times I contact Ed to ask a question about these cars even though he “crossed to the Darkside“ and went to PA’s a dozen years ago.

Between his knowledge and reading comments from Matt Hardwood, I have learned more from these two then dissecting the actual thing!

This forum is a deep well of information that is hard to find anywhere else. 
 I thank not just the two mentioned but everyone here that are asking and answering questions. It’s simply amazing!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BobinVirginia said:

Short, to the point, and accurate.......Well done!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Great forum.  Have received great advice and made many friends and been lucky enough to connect with a few offline as well.  The forum lead directly or indirectly to a lot of knowledge, a venue to buy/sell parts and at least one car.  But tbat stuff comes and goes, the comaraderie & knowledge sharing  makes it!

The knowledge shared here in the posts is a daily education. Thank you to all who share. But I have to single out two people.

Ed Minnie is a person who gets a lot of money for straightening out very exotic cars. 

When I became completely stumped about getting my 1929 Cadillac sorted out, I posted some questions on the Technical pages. Ed contacted me directly to not only give advice but he had me remove and send some of my troublesome parts to him. (overnight because he had just a short window in his schedule) He tested them, massaged them and returned them. I installed them but still had problems. He was going to be in town to show a very high level car and he made time in his schedule to come by my house, drive the car, make further adjustments and explain to me how the darn thing works. (or is supposed to work) 

For this he took no pay. He helped a novice become better acquainted with a car that was well over my head. 

I still have a lot to learn (about strange prewar engineering) but he gave me the help and encouragement that I needed to get over that hurdle. He allowed me to become a little more confident. 

I dont know that I ever really thanked you Ed, so I am doing so here. 

And Wayne (yachtflame),

Thank you for getting me (including recasting) the many parts I needed to get my car functional. I had no idea a 29 Cadillac could be so difficult.

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As a kid in the sixties I worked on my own car as a necessity and have mostly continued all my life.  When restoring my first and only almost 100 year old car 60 years later I have had numerous how to questions.  I joined a local car club hoping to network with others with how to knowledge.  What I found is that almost all take their cars to someone else to be worked on.  This forum has been a wealth of information and I am grateful to the many that have responded to my many questions.  

• Like 1