Brass Buicks coming up for Auction

Rod Wise

Couple of  1908 Model 10,s and a 1910 Model 14 coming up for auction on 26th June at St Paul MN. Vanderbrink Auctions

Also a 1913 Buick chassis,  but no photo,s or model information given.  If anybody is attending this auction I would be interested to know the model of the 1913 chassis.

5PA_1.jpg

4P_1.jpg

Edited by Rod Wise (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Are there any prewar participants that are familiar with these cars?  Will any of you be going to the auction?

I sure would like some expert assistance in determining the condition and value of the 1908 cars.

PM me if you can be of assistance.

Bo Engle

Early Buick's are great cars and have a good following. They can be hard to correctly identify by year, series, and model. You NEED an expert to help you. Do your homework NOW as it can take a few days to figure out what some cars are.........often on early cars.....three or four were combined to make one.........what we call floor sweepings restorations............buying a good Buick costs the same as buying a bad Buick..........do your homework. Good luck, Ed.

• Like 3

Gee, I hate to keep agreeing with Ed, but he's correct.  We're good buddies, don't worry....

An example, there's a 1913 Buick for sale now on the Brass Buick forums (a separate site from here), and they're still discussing what model it might be.

There were some truly great early Buicks built, brass age, and there were also many built which I call the day to day cars.  Model 10 is a nice car, very comparable to Model T with planetary transmission, and what I'd call a day to day car, similar in size and capability to Model T.  Model 14 is the two cylinder, which I'm surprised Buick carried over so "late" in car production.  Model 14 had to be an around the town car in a very small town.  In my opinion it's a step down from the earlier two cylinder Model F and G, which are great two cylinder cars.

Meanwhile, Buick was racing Model 16/17 chassis, having great success, though I will admit that a lot of class races were won 1909/10 by Model 10 cars.  I have a booklet of "Buick Victories" from that era and it's quite impressive.

Early Buicks are great brass cars which sometimes get left in the dust, collector wise, overlooked, yet they are wonderful cars.

I will say, and I paraphrase a friend, if you're going to buy a Model 10 Buick, buy a touring car.  That way, you have an extra two people to help you push......

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Trimacar,  The 1913 at Brass Buicks is a Model 30  as it has the 201 cu inch motor. Pic attached.  This car was for sale a number of years back for $25,000.  There are a number of items that do not appear correct to me. The front fenders look too short ( should come back to the middle of the cowl, but finish at the fire wall.  the hand brake and gear lever are short and do not reach to above the top of the doors.  But it does appear to be a very nice car.

20161201_090321.jpg

20161201_090231.jpg

1913 Model 30 a.jpg

You’re not showing a picture of the other side of the engine, jug castings with cracks  welded. Also, it runs.  It shifts.  It just can’t shift while it’s running.  I was very interested in car until I saw repaired engine and found out it wasn’t drivable as it now sits, and 32k should buy one a car that goes down the road.  I really like the looks of the car, but the mechanicals made me back off….

• Like 4

While I would like to have a first decade Buick,  I have decided to pass on the 1908's at the auction.  Neither has a running engine.  It's been a long time since they ran and nobody can determine their condition.  I do not want to have to spend $10,000 plus to get a car in running condition.  I'll just have to be patient and look for a known driveable car.

Bob Engle

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robert Engle said:

While I would like to have a first decade Buick,  I have decided to pass on the 1908's at the auction.  Neither has a running engine.  It's been a long time since they ran and nobody can determine their condition.  I do not want to have to spend $10,000 plus to get a car in running condition.  I'll just have to be patient and look for a known driveable car.

Bob Engle

Bob,

We all know the pain of buying an old used car.  Sorting it out after purchase just comes with the territory.  We took the '12 Model T on it's first tour a few weeks ago.  After three breakdowns which the 3rd I could not fix on the tour, it went into the trailer until I got it home.

C'est La Vie.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

If one wishes to buy a fully sorted, tour ready car, then it’s a premium price, plus one needs to verify the car does as claimed.

Any purchase when the car is not running, or running but not drivable, is a gamble.

Sometimes worth taking, oft not.

So states Captain Obvious….

• Like 5

Vanderbrink Auctions  have put pics of the 1913 chassis, up on their website now.  Its a model 25, with the 165 cu inch motor,  on a 105 inch wheelbase frame.  I,m after a 108 inch wheelbase chassis with the 201 cu inch motor, if anybody hear,s of one for sale.

20210623_150755.jpg

20210623_150832.jpg