Jump to content

RIP “Cadillac” Carl Fielding


Recommended Posts

If the seller "immediately took down the post" I think you have your answer.

My first call would be to the Nevada Highway Patrol  (775) 687-5300 before the car is moved again.

Greg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, after a long series of messages with Jason, he demands that I send him $10,000, wait until the check clears and then I can come down and get the car.   I don't think so.   I offered to bring a cashier's check and exchange it for the car after I can inspect it.   He says cashier's checks are not an honest way to do business.   So I think I know what sort of person I'm dealing with.

 

The good news is, the car is found, we know who has it including name and address.   His neck will be out a mile if he gets rid of it now.   So I still think all will be well, thanks to all of you and your work.

Ken

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ken, Do you have the paperwork to prove its Carl's Cadillac and is not the guys who's presently in possession of it? Ride in with the Sherriff, or other suitable law enforcement officer, to obtain possession of the car.

Edited by Ozstatman
punctuation (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:


Who knows if a Last Will & Testament was recorded ?

 

Who knows what was specified in the document as to the disposition of assets ?

 

Who knows if bills were left unpaid - if liens have recorded against this person’s estate.

 

Who knows whether the estate is in probate ?

 

This is a can of worms for the family

to deal with.

The Prym family successfully got their father's car returned after 65 years:  

Craig

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There will be a lot of stress to get the car back to the rightful family owners, take a deep breath and as everyone suggests get law enforcement involved. The positive news is that the car has been located! 

This sad occurrence for all of us sends a message once again to me and everyone here - enjoy life while you can and with your friends, new and old,  and things that make you happy. Walk away from situations and people that just cause you grief if you can, it is not worth spending the time you have left in life wasted on those who do not care. Look at them as things in the past, I have had to do this in the recent past, it is what it is. Embrace what makes you happy , you are here to read this , many victims of the virus are not.

The therapy that one needs to go on are good friends like those here on the forums and sitting behind the wheel of a fine old car. And yes admit it - we collect "used cars'! 😇

 

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am not sure if it has been mentioned but I believe Carl was in the middle of buying a Cadillac closed car on this forum. If I am remembering correctly money was put down and more to come if the engine checked out. 

 

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What Walt said.  Ideally a visit with a LEO and I bet a week's pay he hands that car over so fast the wheels spin.

 

You may be able to handle w minimum hassle.  In front of LEO  I might ask directly if he stored car as a favor, or if they ever discussed rent.  Offer him $500 for his troubles and at the same time, with the  LEO present, indicate when you will be picking it up.  Ideal if you have a tow ready to go.  If not, snap a couple pics, to document the car's current state.

 

If this guy is truly in the hobby and it goes south EVERYONE here should be sure he becomes a well known POS. Plenty of CLC members here to take that up.

 

Hopefully he ends up being reasonable and it goes smoothly.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ken fielding said:

At least we have a name and location, and pictures of the guys house maybe.   Next call Nye County Sheriff.

Kem

Sounds like the same former friend flimflam man that Carl told me about.  The Sheriff is a good call to make, but with the internet add selling a car you don't legally own makes this Federal and the FBI is better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've combined the 2 posts related to Carl.

 

FYI: I've also been questioned of the appropriateness of the vehicle loss/search given that Carl only recently passed.  Keep it on topic and respectful folks.  Carl passed and he was a fellow car guy.  The issues of the car in question is VERY secondary.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Peter and others: I was going to say: “You hijacked an obituary post!” But I would have to add: “Carl would have loved it. You added a detective story, mystery, intrigue, and then you solved it. Again, Carl would have smiled.” 

 

Happy driving, folks.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Michael J. Barnes said:

Peter and others: I was going to say: “You hijacked an obituary post!” But I would have to add: “Carl would have loved it. You added a detective story, mystery, intrigue, and then you solved it. Again, Carl would have smiled.” 

 

Happy driving, folks.

Yeah, the two posts kinda got mixed up. Sorry if I was involved with hijacking it a bit.

 

RIP Carl, it's too bad I wasn't able to know him better, but whenever I talked to him on the forum he seemed like a great guy who really liked the hobby and sharing it with others. I'll always miss seeing his posts on here. Hopefully locating his missing car will help bring some closure as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Digger914 said:

Sounds like the same former friend flimflam man that Carl told me about.  The Sheriff is a good call to make, but with the internet add selling a car you don't legally own makes this Federal and the FBI is better. 

I have called the FBI four times. If my phone calls even go there. Guess somethings take time. https://youtu.be/tFADFSI7Z4Q

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

You may be able to handle w minimum hassle.  In front of LEO  I might ask directly if he stored car as a favor, or if they ever discussed rent.  Offer him $500 for his troubles and at the same time, with the  LEO present, indicate when you will be picking it up.  Ideal if you have a tow ready to go.  If not, snap a couple pics, to document the car's current state.

 

If this guy is truly in the hobby and it goes south EVERYONE here should be sure he becomes a well known POS. Plenty of CLC members here to take that up.

 

Hopefully he ends up being reasonable and it goes smoothly.

@ken fieldingtagged to be sure you see this.

 

For what it may (or may not) be worth:  Carl and I had a number of lengthy telephone conversations since his return from southern Nevada.  He wanted to *drive* the Cadillac back, which would limit the seasons/times of year.  I offered, several times, to trailer it back for him for expenses, or even to follow him back with my truck and trailer as a back up.  We had this conversation several times, and he always thanked me for the offer(s) but said he wanted to Do It Himself.  To me, this indicates that he had NOT abandoned or given away the car, and was looking forward to retrieving it.  I could not provide specific dates we discussed that issue, and it would be a haul to dig up my phone records, but I'm willing to attest to those conversations.

 

As others have said, I think it will be essential for you to have the car's title, plus court-approved executor appointment documents, in hand before attempting physical recovery of the car.  I strongly recommend you consult a local attorney who will hopefully also engage a Nevada attorney to serve notice on the person who has physical possession of the car, and perhaps to advise the custodian's local law enforcement agency.  I also advise getting screenshots of the attempted sale--does anyone here have that to offer Ken?

 

Two other points which are more opinions than recommendations:

 

* A flat $500 for five years' storage may be a little weak, just as $10,000 is 'way too much.  What does storage cost in Pahrump (look at advertised spaces in private garages--which this is--as well as commercial storage which is where this guy seems to be coming from on his ask).  As others have said, ask him whether he had a written or verbal commitment from Carl for storage fees if he had not retrieved the car within a certain amount of time.  Any witnesses to a verbal contract?????

 

* Linkedin page seems to show that he is licensed in the securities industry, and the prospect of a detailed complaint against a fiduciary offering services to the public might have some influence.  A court filing against him, plus perhaps some news coverage of that, would be accessible to everyone via Google.

 

If I can be of assistance, please send me a Private Message.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As someone who served as executor recently, this sends a cautionary message to not leave a mess for your executor/relatives to have to unwind on your departure from this mortal coil.  Put important papers in one place, communicate with your family on financial items, locations of mobile physical assets if not at home.  The executor is on the hook personally to make sure the estate is properly documented and closed and can be sued by beneficiaries of the will for failure to locate and dispose of all assets.  The worst part of the process for me was selling two shares of Disney stock Dad had bought 30 years ago, he had the actual certificates which disappeared when dementia set in.  Mom didn't get ownership changed over to her after Dad's death.  I first had to have Disney reissue the stocks in Dad's name then go through a process to get the shares transferred to Mom's estate.  I ended up spending $125 in fees to be able to sell two shares for $220.  And notarized documents weren't good enough, I needed to get Gold Medallion guarantee from bank for the paperwork.

 

Mark

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have never met Carl, enjoyed reading his posts. Very well spoken. I think he would laugh at this thread. I do not believe it has been highjacked, or is in any way disrespectful. His car was found, a lot of eyes are now on a 1927 Cadillac. Everyone involved in the situation, knows the truth about ownership. It can be resolved quickly, or people dig their heals in. And it drags out in a court. I do not think anyone can get away with funny business with this issue. Should be pretty easy to find ownership. Glad the car was found. People on here still look out for each other. Even in difficult times. RIP Carl.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

 

If he had gone through the lien sale process, he'd be asking a lot more than $10K.

And of course he would have the receipts from certified mail for demand to Carl.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Grimy said:

For what it may (or may not) be worth... He wanted to drive the Cadillac back...

To me, this indicates that he had NOT abandoned or given away the car, and was looking forward to retrieving it. 

 

Grimy, your first-hand testimony above is worth a lot!

And it's good that you've brought that up for the good

of the executor and legal enforcement.

 

To me, it doesn't sound as if Carl had a pay-per-month

agreement;  because if he did, he would have been

making regular payments, of which there would be records.

The "caretaker's" demand of $10,000 is therefore suspect.

 

And if the "caretaker" had the car up for sale--without

records of contacting the car's owner or his successors--

that, to me, sounds criminal and fraudulent.

 

Boy, Carl's forum friends are doing a wealth of good in this case!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It looks like the first post on here about information on the cars location. Was on Tuesday at 8:00am. Cars location was suggested on Thursday around 11:00 am. Location confirmed Thursday evening. That's fast. Most missing cars are not located in that time. My guess is a lack of communication, and misinterpretation of intentions. Are what this involves. Car should be safe. Ownership should be very easy to prove.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Grimy said:

@ken fieldingtagged to be sure you see this.

 

For what it may (or may not) be worth:  Carl and I had a number of lengthy telephone conversations since his return from southern Nevada.  He wanted to *drive* the Cadillac back, which would limit the seasons/times of year.  I offered, several times, to trailer it back for him for expenses, or even to follow him back with my truck and trailer as a back up.  We had this conversation several times, and he always thanked me for the offer(s) but said he wanted to Do It Himself.  To me, this indicates that he had NOT abandoned or given away the car, and was looking forward to retrieving it.  I could not provide specific dates we discussed that issue, and it would be a haul to dig up my phone records, but I'm willing to attest to those conversations.

 

As others have said, I think it will be essential for you to have the car's title, plus court-approved executor appointment documents, in hand before attempting physical recovery of the car.  I strongly recommend you consult a local attorney who will hopefully also engage a Nevada attorney to serve notice on the person who has physical possession of the car, and perhaps to advise the custodian's local law enforcement agency.  I also advise getting screenshots of the attempted sale--does anyone here have that to offer Ken?

 

Two other points which are more opinions than recommendations:

 

* A flat $500 for five years' storage may be a little weak, just as $10,000 is 'way too much.  What does storage cost in Pahrump (look at advertised spaces in private garages--which this is--as well as commercial storage which is where this guy seems to be coming from on his ask).  As others have said, ask him whether he had a written or verbal commitment from Carl for storage fees if he had not retrieved the car within a certain amount of time.  Any witnesses to a verbal contract?????

 

* Linkedin page seems to show that he is licensed in the securities industry, and the prospect of a detailed complaint against a fiduciary offering services to the public might have some influence.  A court filing against him, plus perhaps some news coverage of that, would be accessible to everyone via Google.

 

If I can be of assistance, please send me a Private Message.

One thing that I might add is for anyone that had telephone or written communication with Carl please make notes about the details of the conversation and make sure that any written communication is held onto and made available to the family.  As well the forum itself may be invaluable to the family in documenting the events surrounding the car with Carl's own words.  

 

Don

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't been here for a while and am shocked and saddened by this news.

Whether appropriate or not (at this point I feel it is) this is part of a conversation between Carl and me:

 

C Carl 

Started conversation: September 10, 2019

Looks like we are doing the same thing at the same time 2 time zones apart. Things have been rather tough here lately. But I see some light at the end coming up. My '27 Cad has been stuck in'Vegas for over 3 years now. I don't feel comfortable whining and crying on the forum too much. But I hope to be able to go get the car early next year. I might say something about the reasons for the delay, but I would rather just focus on the delights of getting back in the saddle again. Right now, it is past my bedtime, so I will take a shower and hit the sack.    -   CC 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, cahartley said:

My '27 Cad has been stuck in 'Vegas for over 3 years now [Carl wrote].

 

Excellent documentation, Mr. Hartley, and very important!

If Carl's family is getting law enforcement involved, this

helps to show that Carl never relinquished ownership.

 

Righting this apparent wrong may be one of the best

things this forum has ever done.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

 

Excellent documentation, Mr. Hartley, and very important!

If Carl's family is getting law enforcement involved, this

helps to show that Carl never relinquished ownership.

 

Righting this apparent wrong may be one of the best

things this forum has ever done.

 

I hung onto Carl's message for a reason.........this must be the reason.

Laws don't care about hearsay but the pasted message came from Carl and could have come from no one else which can be verified by this site.

It is uncontrovertible evidence that Carl had no intention of relinquishing his car, AT THAT TIME at least.

 

Anyway.......Carl and I spoke to each only twice but 1 minute into our first conversation (and he could talk!) I felt like we had known each other for years.

I regret not speaking with him more often....... :( 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Devastating! I only recently got to know Carl, but we had never really met. A phone call about an Imperial brought us together. What started out as a chance encounter quickly became a friendship. For me it wasn't hard to get to know Carl, as contemporaries who spent our lives in and around the Seattle area. We had 77 years of shared experiences. It wasn't just cars, often times our hours, long, phone, conversations breached all bounds of topics. He was like a kindred spirit. There was never a quiet moment during these conversations, Carl made sure of that. 

 

 

I have never met most of you on this forum, nor will I ever meet most of you, but because of Carl I think that I know you better.  Were any of your ears ringing? I hope that I, in some way, I can convey to you all how much this forum, and many of you meant to Carl! He really treasured his extended family of forum members. It was a special moment when Carl told me I had jumped to the top of the top of his list of people with whom he could converse. Sadly our tentative face to face get togethers always got postponed. His passing is like finding a brother I never knew I had, only to never to have him taken away. 

 

Bill

Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...