RIP “Cadillac” Carl Fielding

"Very happy to see that you are reading our response to your important question. All the long timers here remember the road adventure I had , pictured above. Beginning February 2016 I drove 2,700 miles to and around  Las Vegas. Enjoyed my time so much that I overstayed my budgeted time in Vegas, and had to leave the old thing in tended storage there in late June. I have had too many problems to be able to drive back, and I don’t relish the thought of having my car come home in a box. Hopefully, at long last, I may be able to drive back in the perfect weather of Spring next year. Point being, during the 4 months of a road trip, and staying in various different locations, my 1927 Cadillac was my ONLY driver, daily, nightly, urban and rural environments alike. From sightseeing, to running simple errands with it, I loved the experience. If I could, I would live like that for at least 6 months of most of the years of the rest of my life."

This was from one of Carl's posts a few years back. Perhaps the "tended" storage might be a clue?..Perhaps at a storage facility in/near Vegas rather than a private garage??? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ken fielding said:

This is Carl's brother, Ken.   Thank you, Mick, for allowing me to see the many ways that Carl touched people.   I am asking for help locating Carl's 1927 LaSalle, which he left in storage with an acquaintance in Las Vegas after the Cadillac Through the Years show in 2016.  Unfortunately I never learned where the car was stored or who has it, and no record has been located to help find it.   Searching his cell phones has so far been unproductive, and Carl did not send text messages.   I will be getting more complete phone call records from AT&T to try to identify phone calls to the Las Vegas area, as the person with the car may not have a 702 area code.  So far the few calls he made to 702 are unrelated to the storage.

If anyone has any information on where the car is, or if you see his 1927 LaSalle, please let me know.    You can see Carl and the car in this article:

COURTESY Seattle resident Carl Fielding drove his 1927 Cadillac Sedan about 2,000 miles to participate in the 11th annual Cadillac Through the Years car show Sunday at The District at Green Valley … | Las Vegas Review-Journal (reviewjournal.com)

Thanks again, Mick.

Carl & car in Las Vegas.jpg

First, I'm sorry to read about your brother.  Although I never met him, he sounds like a kind and rare individual who was always willing to lend a hand when it was needed.

As for locating his car, I would first contact the local car club in Las Vegas, and then the Cadillac dealer who sponsored that show.  Surely, someone there MUST know where it is!

Craig

1 hour ago, car crazy said:

"Very happy to see that you are reading our response to your important question. All the long timers here remember the road adventure I had , pictured above. Beginning February 2016 I drove 2,700 miles to and around  Las Vegas. Enjoyed my time so much that I overstayed my budgeted time in Vegas, and had to leave the old thing in tended storage there in late June. I have had too many problems to be able to drive back, and I don’t relish the thought of having my car come home in a box. Hopefully, at long last, I may be able to drive back in the perfect weather of Spring next year. Point being, during the 4 months of a road trip, and staying in various different locations, my 1927 Cadillac was my ONLY driver, daily, nightly, urban and rural environments alike. From sightseeing, to running simple errands with it, I loved the experience. If I could, I would live like that for at least 6 months of most of the years of the rest of my life."

This was from one of Carl's posts a few years back. Perhaps the "tended" storage might be a clue?..Perhaps at a storage facility in/near Vegas rather than a private garage??? 

Especially because the car was driven around that much I would think that a club member or show official would have some idea of where Carl finally left it. I agree that it almost sounds like a storage facility - maybe somewhere with climate control in that heat?

Edited by AL1630 (see edit history)

When looking thru CC receipts look for car or cab companies, he had to get from the storage location to the airport or other transportation sites to get home. If not a commercial ride then a friend may have given him a ride but may not be a member but went to the show. Maybe a list of attendees would give you a name you recognize. Hope your mystery is solved soon. 

Have you inquired with the Cadillac LaSalle Club or someone at The Gilmore Car Museum in Michigan might know something?

Joining their forum and posting might provide info.

Or his mechanic:

"A resident of Seattle, Fielding drove to Portland where he picked up the sedan from his mechanic, 68-year-old Bob Earls, who has his own shop where he works on classic vehicles.

In fact, Earls worked with Hill and Vaughn Restorations, owned by Ken Vaughn and the legendary Phil Hill, America’s first Formula One world champion."

Somebody else out there knows where it is.

Good Luck

Bill

Edited by wmsue (see edit history)

I think that car was on Craigslist while I was down there. Not sure if I posted a link in the not mine section. I think it was in Pahrump NV, not 100% sure it is the same one. But not a 100% sure it is not. Craigslist will have a record of the listing. This would have been 3-4 months ago.

I don't mean to sound alarmist but time is probably of the essence here. 

I would hate to see this turn into an unpaid storage/lien sale issue.

Ken, have you checked Carl's bank statements for any type of automatic debit or cancelled checks that would show a Vegas location?

Kind regards, Greg

5 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

I think that car was on Craigslist while I was down there. Not sure if I posted a link in the not mine section. I think it was in Pahrump NV, not 100% sure it is the same one. But not a 100% sure it is not. Craigslist will have a record of the listing. This would have been 3-4 months ago.

If you can get any info on the car you saw I can check it out here in Pahrump.

A while back I was to meet him and go for a drive through Red Rock national park with the Caddy.

I do not have any info. Just was surfing cars everyday on the web. A car matching the one in question was listed for sale in Pahrump. I do think that I posted a link to it, because it was an original car. I am not down in that area anymore. Can not give anymore info on it. Craigslist would have a record of the post, a place to start. Hope your in the shade down there. That heat is crazy.🥵

17 hours ago, ken fielding said:

Carl knew where the car was.    Although I had asked him over the years to give someone a list of where his cars were, he never did that.   So I don’t know if this is misappropriation, but it is certainly lack of information.

I spent a couple of hours on the phone with Carl a couple, maybe three years ago talking about this car and I thought this was taken care of.

When I was talking with Carl I was still doing fraud and forgery work for attorneys, so I would go with misappropriation over a money dispute because we talked about his options. Carl knew where the car was and told me why he was having trouble getting it back, from his description the guy was a former friend, flake and flimflam man. If he didn't go to an attorney to take care of this back then, the car is probably legally owned by now. I don't know how Nevada DMV handles these things, but there can't be to many recent abandoned vehicle storage leans for 1927 Cadillac LaSalle's on record.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trulyvintage said:

Someone passes and suddenly a family

member takes interest in the deceased person’s asset and turns to a public forum for help ?

Sure, Jim.  His forum friends and acquaintances are already helping:

---When someone passes on, his business needs to 

be completed by others.

---As we've seen, many people here knew Carl or talked to him.

---Car fans have special insights that others may not.

Such clues can bring needed information to locate the car.

Carl would be pleased that so many people are 

offering advice and assistance in time of need.

That shows how strong the AACA family can be.

Meanwhile, while we work, he's surely already met some

departed friends and is having a good time catching up with them.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Digger914 said:

I spent a couple of hours on the phone with Carl a couple, maybe three years ago talking about this car and I thought this was taken care of.

When I was talking with Carl I was still doing fraud and forgery work for attorneys, so I would go with misappropriation over a money dispute because we talked about his options. Carl knew where the car was and told me why he was having trouble getting it back, from his description the guy was a former friend, flake and flimflam man. If he didn't go to an attorney to take care of this back then, the car is probably legally owned by now. I don't know how Nevada DMV handles these things, but there can't be to many recent abandoned vehicle storage leans for 1927 Cadillac LaSalle's on record.

Who knows if a Last Will & Testament was recorded ?

Who knows what was specified in the document as to the disposition of assets ?

Who knows if bills were left unpaid - if liens have recorded against this person’s estate.

Who knows whether the estate is in probate ?

This is a can of worms for the family

to deal with.

Jim

27 minutes ago, Trulyvintage said:

Someone passes and suddenly a family

member takes interest in the deceased person’s asset and turns to a public forum for help ?

Jim

One of the forum members reached out to him to let him know how much we appreciated his brother. He didn't just happen to stumble across the website.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Trulyvintage said:

This is a can of worms for the family

to deal with.

Not to open a can of worms here but I think that is precisely what the family is trying to do and there was no reason prior to now for them to have interfered in his business.  Now if the forum members can assist the family in this difficult time with these many difficult tasks all the better.  I salute those offering suggestions and information to assist the family because really there are just extended family of our family here.  

Don

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am very sorry to hear of Carl's passing.

Although I never met him, I immensely enjoyed reading his posts.

His wealth of knowledge and kind spirit will be greatly missed.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ken fielding said:

I am asking for help locating my brother's 1927 Cadillac LaSalle.

Ken,

For what it is worth I tried a Google images search for both 1927 Cadillac and 1927 LaSalle for sale as often the images from various for sale ads remain long after a car has been sold.  Nothing came up that resembled your brother's car.  It may be worth posting on the HAMB as well, someone somewhere in the car world will know where this car is.  It may be worth contacting the local media in the LV area, hopefully there is no questionable behavior involved but if there is, a little news coverage may convince someone to do the right thing.  My condolences and best of luck on your search.

Don

I'm saddened to learn of Carl's passing. 

A few years ago, my wife and I considered relocating to the Seattle area.  Carl and I exchanged phone numbers and I had one or two lengthy conversations with him.  He was quite knowledgeable and shared a lot of insights with me, even offering to pick us up at the airport and drive us around the area.  He was very nice and will be missed.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 8:46 AM, Michael J. Barnes said:

I have had sad news from his brother that Cadillac Carl Fielding passed away on June 12 due to complications from covid. I will be adding to this posting later with my own recollections. He helped a lot of people (like me); he told extraordinary stories; he packed a lot of adventure into his life.

The Man The Myth The Legend 

I met him in my search for my 20s Cadillac and we talked for hours and he helped me with my plans and pros and cons of each years 20s i wish I had written more down.  Happy trailsCarl... may you cruse heavens highway in your favorite Cadillac. 

98CF66F2-F27C-4C00-A28A-C9BE5B860F89.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ken fielding said:

Xander,

Would you by any chance be able to pull up the link that you posted selling the car?   I will use a subpoena to try to get it from Craigslist but that will take a while, and perhaps it was not even offered on Craigslist.    Thanks. Ken

This is the one I was thinking about.  https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/763700201158104/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A696d9eca-35bb-4a5f-9e9d-bfbfeed3b0fe

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Maybe it is the same one, looking at your write up.

Based on the photos Carl's brother posted in another thread:

That could be it. Looks very similar, though there are a few minor differences. Carl's car has a large orange light mounted to the bumper in a couple photos, but in the newspaper photo it doesn't. Bummer that in the news photo the hood is up, because if that Idaho (license plate?) tag on the windshield was there it would confirm it's the same car. Also doubtful that there are too many 1927 Cadillacs in that color in that area. Probably worth sending a message in my opinion.

It was great to read those posts again, 5 years later.  In the last post, Carl says "A fellow CLC member who is hosting the car is becoming a good crashbox driver."  Here's a clue....CLC member in southern NV.

Wow!!!  That's it.   The car had green wheels and an orange light under the right headlight when I took pictures of it in Hood River in 2015.   The picture of Carl and the car in Vegas has orange wheels, and the orange light is gone.   The seller's photos show the car covered in dust, which it would be after sitting in storage for several years.

Thanks a lot.   Now we'll see if the guy is an honest man.    I've responded to the ad asking him to call me to arrange returning the car.   We shall see.   Ken

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2