Speaking of small car restoration, Matchbox anyone?

Lesney Matchbox are very collectible.  For resale original paint is preferred.  There are several YouTube videos on restoring Matchbox toys and even late model Matchbox and Hot wheels toys.  I’m probably going to attempt some Tootsie Toys.  Each has tricks on how to make them look good.  I just need to find spray paint in smaller cans than the Rust-Oleum stuff.  With those paints I have enough for the next 100 years😀.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TerryB said:

Lesney Matchbox are very collectible.  For resale original paint is preferred.  There are several YouTube videos on restoring Matchbox toys and even late model Matchbox and Hot wheels toys.  I’m probably going to attempt some Tootsie Toys.  Each has tricks on how to make them look good.  I just need to find spray paint in smaller cans than the Rust-Oleum stuff.  With those paints I have enough for the next 100 years😀.

I have been watching a lot of those videos lately. If only our bigger cars were so easy to restore....

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, TerryB said:

Oh, have no fear. The restored cars were rebuilt out of only the worst of the worst cars where they were only one step from throw-aways. I do have a few originals in their original boxes.20210616_210546.jpg.20b7821e2a47f0ac7db0ddb02d242186.jpg20210616_210537.jpg.33d8ff6b369aa91594590243a715262a.jpg20210616_210525.jpg.1943895d134bf643ec90214dd0e27e45.jpg

Edited by ericmac
Typo (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Ha!  Ok, you win!  That is quite a collection of Matchbox.  You could teach us the fine points of Matchbox collecting.  The old Lesney Matchbox cars are impressive in their detail.  Many of them were also available in the larger scale from Dinky toys too.  If I wasn’t supposed to be downsizing I would have a lot more of these small cars in my collection.  

• Thanks 1

My collection got just a little bit nuts. None of the boxes are empty. Every single box contains a mint-in-box (MIB) car with a slightly lesser "display quality" car parked underneath. My eventual goal is to have one example of every car ishown in the 1965 catalog MIB, with an accompanying display car. That will augment what I currently have started, which is an example of every car MIB, and a display car, from the first and second editions of the 1968 catalog.  I am working to acquire all the Models of Yesteryear and the Major Pack models, then will need another display rack. Oh...so much to buy!

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

My problem is lack of display space....

Picture 6254.jpg

Picture 5031.jpg

That is wonderful!  At my old house and garage I had stuff everywhere including non automotive early 20th century from my wife’s family.  The big move to a new home 9 years ago got us moving on the downsizing effort.  I am the custodian for many items until my son gets his own place someday.  He has his own collection of automotive stuff too so it should be great combination when he gets my stuff.

• Like 1

From a non toy collector, these are great.  Glad I am too old to start a new collection.

48 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

My problem is lack of display space....

More space is not a solution, you fill it rapidly.

• Like 2

I graduated from Tootsie Toys to Matchbox.  The difference in detail to a kid back then was astounding.

I was crazy for Matchbox when I was a kid!

Matchbox was not common to find where I lived.  Foreign cars were “foreign” to us with VW as the only local dealer for anything not made in the US.  I was a senior in high school when HotWheels came out and was more interested in real cars as I was driving by then.  I still assembled a model car or two at that time but real cars were my focus. Most of my model cars hit the trash as they were stored at my parents house and they could not foresee me ever wanting them☹️.

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, GregLaR said:

I graduated from Tootsie Toys to Matchbox.  The difference in detail to a kid back then was astounding.

I was crazy for Matchbox when I was a kid!

Me too. While I had quite a few Tootsie Toys,  I greatly preferred Matchbox. Corgis, Huskys, Dinky Toys and even the Matchbox Major Packs (later King Size) were great, but only the rich kids had them. Alas, I was fine with the run of the mill Matchbox cars. Still am. 

That collection of Matchbox cars, all I can say is WOW!! Quite impressive. 

May be redundant and I apologize if it is. I have 3 older brothers, 2 that are somewhat close to my age. Our 'treat' about once a month was a matchbox or hot wheel. Between the 3 of us I believe at one time I had accumulated just about every hot wheel made and almost every matchbox. By the time I was about 6 or 7 (1970) I had literally box fulls of them. Of coarse they were all played hard and left for dead. When I became an adult and moved out of my parents house all of that kind of stuff was left behind. When I finally got a home of my own, pop said 'come and get what you want, the rest is going to the trash'. Well, never really thought he would get to cleaning out the basement but lo and behold it all went. None had the boxes and most were well played but I did have just about everyone made, and some multiple copies. I wouldnt even think about trying to start collecting them today.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 9:09 PM, TAKerry said:

That collection of Matchbox cars, all I can say is WOW!! Quite impressive. 

May be redundant and I apologize if it is. I have 3 older brothers, 2 that are somewhat close to my age. Our 'treat' about once a month was a matchbox or hot wheel. Between the 3 of us I believe at one time I had accumulated just about every hot wheel made and almost every matchbox. By the time I was about 6 or 7 (1970) I had literally box fulls of them. Of coarse they were all played hard and left for dead. When I became an adult and moved out of my parents house all of that kind of stuff was left behind. When I finally got a home of my own, pop said 'come and get what you want, the rest is going to the trash'. Well, never really thought he would get to cleaning out the basement but lo and behold it all went. None had the boxes and most were well played but I did have just about everyone made, and some multiple copies. I wouldnt even think about trying to start collecting them today.

That must have been quite a find. I am looking forward to watching your progress on your collection. 

In about 1975 I was stationed in Scotland (USN) and used to regularly visit a very old toy shop in a small village near where we lived.  I bought mainly the Models of Yesteryear, and had quite a few.  Always bought the ones that just came out.  One day I asked if there were any older ones stashed in back.  I was allowed into the "stock room" and had a time picking up every one of the first series, all new in the box of course.  Some of them I could have bought multiples of, but why would I ever need more than one?   I continued to add to them until they began coming out with fat modern looking tires on them, then lost interest.  Still have my collection but have never added to it.  There were others that had a greater level of detail like Rio and Solido, so I began picking up those that interested me.  I have them displayed in a wall mounted cabinet.  When the cabinet was filled, that was the end of my collecting them and I moved on to other automobilia (spark plugs, etc).

Terry

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

In about 1975 I was stationed in Scotland (USN) and used to regularly visit a very old toy shop in a small village near where we lived.  I bought mainly the Models of Yesteryear, and had quite a few.  Always bought the ones that just came out.  One day I asked if there were any older ones stashed in back.  I was allowed into the "stock room" and had a time picking up every one of the first series, all new in the box of course.  Some of them I could have bought multiples of, but why would I ever need more than one?   I continued to add to them until they began coming out with fat modern looking tires on them, then lost interest.  Still have my collection but have never added to it.  There were others that had a greater level of detail like Rio and Solido, so I began picking up those that interested me.  I have them displayed in a wall mounted cabinet.  When the cabinet was filled, that was the end of my collecting them and I moved on to other automobilia (spark plugs, etc).

Terry

Wow! What a treasure trove? Please tell me you kept all of them! 

• 1 year later...

ericmac,

Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but maybe there may be more to reply to this if this gets pushed to the top.

My story:  I only started collecting Matchbox Lesney cars - before the "Super Fast" of the 1970's - (actually only trucks) a few years ago and all of mine are in "played with" 

condition.  I guess I started this collection because of YouTube videos I had seen of refurbishments of them.  Our daughter, son-in-law and their children were here for a visit

some time back and the youngest (about 2 1/2 at that time) "latched on to" a few of my Matchbox Lesney trucks and seemed to be enamored with them, even though he and

his older brother (about 5 years old at the time) had accumulated quite a collection of Hot Wheels cars.  Well, since then, I have been sending the young one - now 4 yrs - a

Matchbox Lesney truck or two from time to time.  And, now he has a "collection" of about ten or twelve Matchbox Lesney trucks.  But he only wants the trucks that "work", as

he calls it - meaning those that have moving parts.  Of course, he plays with his trucks.  Every few weeks, he will get his mother to video chat me so that he can see if I have

acquired any new Matchbox trucks.  The funny thing is that a kid, born in 2018, is playing with trucks made in the 1960's.  Obviously he cannot grasp that but I do and I like it.

Matchbox-No51-fleet.jpg

• Like 1

My wife and I bought a collection of 100+ Matchbox,Corgis and Tomica from a friend who was selling her mother’s home.  Sold many already at our stand in Palmyra PA. Here’s a few photos of what is there now. Tomica is on the far left, Matchbox in the middle and Corgi on the right. Two cars by themselves are Tyco slot cars.

44FCF6FE-972F-4118-957C-81F97C9E6C3E.jpeg

AB11D975-2D09-44AA-B8FC-FAA873845765.jpeg

Edited by TerryB
Left & right error (see edit history)

On 10/30/2022 at 10:40 PM, wldavis said:

ericmac,

Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but maybe there may be more to reply to this if this gets pushed to the top.

My story:  I only started collecting Matchbox Lesney cars - before the "Super Fast" of the 1970's - (actually only trucks) a few years ago and all of mine are in "played with" 

condition.  I guess I started this collection because of YouTube videos I had seen of refurbishments of them.  Our daughter, son-in-law and their children were here for a visit

some time back and the youngest (about 2 1/2 at that time) "latched on to" a few of my Matchbox Lesney trucks and seemed to be enamored with them, even though he and

his older brother (about 5 years old at the time) had accumulated quite a collection of Hot Wheels cars.  Well, since then, I have been sending the young one - now 4 yrs - a

Matchbox Lesney truck or two from time to time.  And, now he has a "collection" of about ten or twelve Matchbox Lesney trucks.  But he only wants the trucks that "work", as

he calls it - meaning those that have moving parts.  Of course, he plays with his trucks.  Every few weeks, he will get his mother to video chat me so that he can see if I have

acquired any new Matchbox trucks.  The funny thing is that a kid, born in 2018, is playing with trucks made in the 1960's.  Obviously he cannot grasp that but I do and I like it.

Matchbox-No51-fleet.jpg

I am always happy to talk Matchbox cars. I too have a young relative,  my nephew who is almost 3, who loves all things Matchbox.  I think many kids are enamored by the realism they offer. Thanks tor returning the topic to the forefront. 

2 hours ago, Jim Skelly said:

Terry,

Where do you get your Matchbox cars?

Jim, from our local Target store and my local ACE hardware. Also, we have a small family run dry goods store that carries them in their toy department. All the stores are pricing them around $2.  

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...