1920s Speedsters

West Peterson

What a great but intriguing photo. To start with, a speedster as a taxi? most likely without doors? Maybe it was just an advertising gimmick. Chassis is high off ground, suggests circa 1915-1924, the long rear trailing arms may be a clue and it appears to have a transverse rear spring (Model T) and likely same for front spring. But rad shell looks later, circa 1925-27 (somewhat similar to Chrysler), as do the headlights (mid 20's Chevrolet?) mid to late 20's. 4 spoke steering wheel very common details, may ring a bell. Sure looks like a fun ride for circa 1930.  

I am going to say it is a model T with a factory aftermarket body. I’m going on a couple points, first is the parking brake handle and cross shaft as well as the back of the oil pan is somewhat distinct even in shadow. The rear cross section of the frame is visible and looks T, as well as the springs, brake rods, and rear radius rods. Also the permanent hand crank is very much a T identifier as well as the steering wheel, gearbox and lever visible.

You guys nailed it down pretty well! One point I would disagree with, however, I think the body is a home-built one. The panels and curves are too flat for most of the factory offerings. Instructions were printed in magazines, and otherwise sold, how to build such bodies. Several companies offered special radiators and even oversize shrouds to disguise the Ford radiator. That style was sometimes referred to as the 'Fiat' style shell.

Also, the headlamps look to be standard model T. Not that it means much, but the hand crank appears to be the 1914 to 1921 style. The firewall bracket (two bolts can be seen on the side of the frame) appears to be one of the two late 1916 through 1925 styles. Those two styles varied in the vertical placement of the firewall by 5/8 inch, the difference between the wooden and steel firewalls The firewall and the brackets were changed in 1923.

• Like 3