Looking For a Good Electrical Component Rebuilding Shop in California?

Just found out that the trusted shop I've been using here in Sacramento, CA for over thirty years is out of the component rebuilding/repair business.  I have an alternator for a '91 Nissan 300ZX that needs to be gone through and electrically checked, bearings replaced, etc.  Would prefer a shop in Northern California so I can drop off/pick up the alternator, but could certainly ship it to a good shop.

Quality work is the highest priority, as the alternator is just buried on this car.  It's uncovered now due to radiator and timing belt replacement work. So, definitely not a job that I'd want to do again anytime soon.

Unfortunately, not really available off the shelf. The 300ZX alternator is unique to that Nissan model, and not even for all years of that particular body style. I had to send out the power steering pump for rebuilding as some part stores only offer the rebuilding service, nothing off the shelf. Part of the "fun" of working on a low-production car.

Try Ed at E D & D Electric on Howe Road in Martinez, 925.372.6645.  Ed is a one-man band and has been in the business for 55 years, and has huge stocks of repair parts for pre-war cars.  I'm pretty sure he does newer ones like your 300ZX as well.  He has done two 1934 Pierce starters for me quite inexpensively, and I last week I brought him for units for cars from 1922-30.  He does all the starter and generator work for the Academy of Art University collection.  Call or Google him for hours this time of year--sometimes 3 days a week, sometimes four.

Thanks, I did give Ed a call last week. But today when I stopped by, there was a sign posted on his door that says "Closed due to illness until further notice." Hopefully nothing serious, I'll try giving him a call in week or two.

33 minutes ago, Writer Jon said:

Thanks, I did give Ed a call last week. But today when I stopped by, there was a sign posted on his door that says "Closed due to illness until further notice." Hopefully nothing serious, I'll try giving him a call in week or two.

That explains why he didn't answer the phone today.  I'll check in next week too.  Hope he recovers soon for his sake and because he's such an excellent resource.  Thanks very much for the info, Jon.

@Writer Jonand others:  Just received a call from Ed's son Joe to the effect that Ed had a major stroke on Father's Day--of all times--and that the family will be closing down the shop.  The shop phone is being disconnected.  I have the phone number for Joe, so if you have units in for repair, PM me and I'll give you the number.  Joe will be at shop through June 30 to return items left.  I may have more info after I pick up my units, probably tomorrow.

Thanks for the update. I am sorry to hear about Ed and hope the best for his recovery.

I had also called Rite-Way in S.F. about the rebuild, so I will send the alternator to them and see how they do.

On 6/23/2021 at 1:25 PM, Grimy said:

@Writer Jonand others:  Just received a call from Ed's son Joe to the effect that Ed had a major stroke on Father's Day--of all times--and that the family will be closing down the shop.  The shop phone is being disconnected.  I have the phone number for Joe, so if you have units in for repair, PM me and I'll give you the number.  Joe will be at shop through June 30 to return items left.  I may have more info after I pick up my units, probably tomorrow.

Very sad news.