Help needed to decode Chrysler roadster

Hi folks, im hoping someone here can help to decode a 29 chrysler roadster im looking to buy

once again, the numbers, and bits dont quite add up for me, 4 speed transmission, down draft carby, and bumpers dont seem to be the norm, the car is listed as a 29 roadster series 75, and is In Australia, originally sold by Lanes in Melbourne, im not 100% sure, but i think lanes were body suppliers here in Australia, as were TJ Richards

chassis number is R287-4y

engine number is R287689 

here are a couple of pics

Edited by Nostalgic
Wrong photo (see edit history)

Originally restored by Les Smith in Shepparton. Absolutely beautiful car.

Manifold and gearbox are from a 1930 model not original to the 1929. They were fitted for better driveability.

Lanes Melbourne sold the car when new. All model 75s in Australia were fully imported and not fitted with TJRichards bodies.

If you are wanting an early Mopar, I know this car has been around a while but it was a very well built car and very reliable. The 75's are great to drive and hydraulic brakes make them stop along with the modern traffic. I haven't seen the Les's car since the mid 90's but I would assume it is still as good now as then.

1 hour ago, lozrocks said:

Originally restored by Les Smith in Shepparton. Absolutely beautiful car.

Manifold and gearbox are from a 1930 model not original to the 1929. They were fitted for better driveability.

Lanes Melbourne sold the car when new. All model 75s in Australia were fully imported and not fitted with TJRichards bodies.

Hey that’s really great info, I’m pretty new to the Chrysler game so I’m on a bit of a learning curve too. I find your comments on all 75’s to be fully imported Interesting as I have been let to believe otherwise but as I say I’m still learning and happy to be Corrected. If they were all imported do you know if all the  Roadsters had folding windscreen post or were some fixed posts. Any info is appreciated. Cheers Ben

• Like 1

Regarding windshields, I have a 1928 Model 72 Sport Roadster and my windshield does fold, however I believe the 1928 Model 72 Standard Roadster did not have a folding windshield.  Speculation on my part, maybe someone else can concur..........

The fedco serial number CL664Y (decoded as 276645) on the dashboard is correct for a 1929 Chrysler 75. The model 75 engine numbers all start with R. The bumpers look period correct. A nice car, buy it and enjoy it.

• Like 2

Thank you guys, i really do appreciate your help, knowledge, experience, and opinions.

you can google for days, and seem only to get more confused, you lot are a great help.

I will be looking at the car later this week/weekend, and hopefully i will be able to work something out

cheers

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 7:24 PM, Vintageben said:

Hey that’s really great info, I’m pretty new to the Chrysler game so I’m on a bit of a learning curve too. I find your comments on all 75’s to be fully imported Interesting as I have been let to believe otherwise but as I say I’m still learning and happy to be Corrected. If they were all imported do you know if all the  Roadsters had folding windscreen post or were some fixed posts. Any info is appreciated. Cheers Ben

To the best of my knowledge, all of the export 75 roadsters had a folding windscreen.

Typically with Chryslers, the lower level models were available for locally built bodies, but the bigger cars were not. There are 1929 Model 65s in Australia with Holden bodies, but the 75s and imperial 80s were all imported.

12 hours ago, lozrocks said:

To the best of my knowledge, all of the export 75 roadsters had a folding windscreen.

Typically with Chryslers, the lower level models were available for locally built bodies, but the bigger cars were not. There are 1929 Model 65s in Australia with Holden bodies, but the 75s and imperial 80s were all imported.

Great info and not wanting to hijack this thread but my Chrysler 75  Roadster that I’m about to start restoring has fixed windscreen posts! It may have been changed at some point in its life some have said otherwise  and that it is probably a local body, who knows? Unfortunately it has also had the ute treatment but definitely started life as a roadster. Anyway here’s a picture 

41CFCE9F-D5B2-45F4-AE98-606FE1B6727A.jpeg

290FC724-D76C-436F-8934-C48402084C11.jpeg

• Like 2