1952 Pulled out of the barn

Eric H1952

Hi,  I’m Eric and this is my Father-in-Laws 1952 Buick Special.  He has Alzheimer’s and is unable to drive or answer questions.  But he loves this car and we’re hoping to get it running so we can give him a few more rides.  We are west of St. Cloud Minnesota.  It ran when parked about 5-6 years ago.  We got it to turnover last year but no fire even with starting fluid.  I’m getting a new battery soon and am going to see if we have spark.  I may be looking for a enthusiast or shop in Minnesota.

We can not find the keys.  My brother-in-law knows we can run it without the key.  However the trunk is locked and I’m looking for advice on getting into it without ruining the lock as we have hope of finding the key. (Maybe in the Trunk). Any thoughts?  It doesn’t look like getting in behind the back seat would be possible.

TIA,

Eric

68F6C72A-45AF-4E0C-86D0-8618CB80A693.jpeg

Edited by Eric H1952 (see edit history)
  • Like 5

It would really, really be best if you found the trunk key but it's possible to get in the trunk from the passenger compartment (if you're lucky) once the back seat cushions are removed. There might be a piece of cardboard-like sheeting right behind the vertical cushion that you will have to push down out of the way (it could be damaged). Shine a flashlight in there at the bottom of the trunk lock area and if nothing's blocking it inside the trunk you should see two bolts holding a striker plate in place like in the picture. If you can remove those bolts you can lift the trunk lid. You might have to use a wrench with a few long extensions together with a small socket on the end but I've done it many times. Once the lid's up remove the trunk lock and take it to an experienced car locksmith and have a new key made and then you can go from there. If you can't find the car keys anywhere check up under the sunvisor, in the glovebox, inside the ashtray, under the front seat or floor mat, even look for a Hide-A-Key holder with an extra set under the hood. Hey, you never know til you look. Good luck!

IMG_0018 (1).JPG

• Like 2

The owner's manual says the 52 Buick is a one key fits all locks car.

So, if the key code is found, new keys can be code cut.

An old locksmith in town might have a ring of Briggs & Stratton (now Startec) B-10 or B-11 keys that might fit the ignition. With that key, the cylinder can be removed and the code is on it. The glove box lock might be held with a phillips screw (the 52 Chevy is that way) and easy to remove. Then you need a competent locksmith who knows how to open that lock WITHOUT damage to any decorative parts to read the code inside. Most want to uncrimp the impossible to find new glove box lock decorative cap, as that is how 60s door locks and trunk locks are opened, and those caps are available.

Last case is remove the interior door panel, remove the exterior door handle, remove th elock from the handle and read the code on the lock.

All the above assume all the locks are original.😉

On 6/14/2021 at 10:06 AM, Eric H1952 said:

Hi,  I’m Eric and this is my Father-in-Laws 1952 Buick Special.  He has Alzheimer’s and is unable to drive or answer questions.  But he loves this car and we’re hoping to get it running so we can give him a few more rides.  We are west of St. Cloud Minnesota.  It ran when parked about 5-6 years ago.  We got it to turnover last year but no fire even with starting fluid.  I’m getting a new battery soon and am going to see if we have spark.  I may be looking for a enthusiast or shop in Minnesota.

We can not find the keys.  My brother-in-law knows we can run it without the key.  However the trunk is locked and I’m looking for advice on getting into it without ruining the lock as we have hope of finding the key. (Maybe in the Trunk). Any thoughts?  It doesn’t look like getting in behind the back seat would be possible.

TIA,

Eric

68F6C72A-45AF-4E0C-86D0-8618CB80A693.jpeg

I went to get keys made and they said GM didnt have that many variations would I like to sit down and see if I could fit one from the three rings of gm keys they had. About 20 mins later, I had keys they could make copies directly from various ones they already had for just such an occasion! 3.00 each thanx! Put your lock numbers away! Good luck!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Neat car, and I hope you can get it going for him. Don't forget to check and clean the points, as they often get a fine coating of corrosion on them which is difficult to see at times, but will stop it from firing. This could be why you didn't get any life out of it with starting fluid.

Keith