1928 Chrysler. oil canister on firewall. original or retro fit? Trying to find suitable filter element

Des Knight

Hi all. New to site. Recently purchased a 1928 Chrysler 62. It has an oil canister on firewall. Don't know if this is original or retro fit. Trying to find suitable filter element. Have tried Fleetguard LF 510 equivalent to Baldwin P41 and a Ryco R4P. All tend to leak through top bolt. Help.

Des

I'm not sure about this, but I think Fram supplied both OE and add-on filters to Chrysler. You might look into a Fram cartridge or older Fram catalog.

There was some discussion about canister filter leakage a while back, I think in Technical forum. You may need a soft copper sealing washer under the canister's thru-bolt.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

I'm not sure about this, but I think Fram supplied both OE and add-on filters to Chrysler. You might look into a Fram cartridge or older Fram catalog.

There was some discussion about canister filter leakage a while back, I think in Technical forum. You may need a soft copper sealing washer under the canister's thru-bolt.

Thanks. There doesn't seem to have any seal at all on top bolt which surprised me. Bolt and spring are captive so may have to put some thought into it.

Des

Hi Des,

I also have a series 62 and I'm not sure if my oil filter is correct either, so I will be following this discussion.

I'm sure over the years a lot of cars may have had a different filter fitted.

Please can you post a picture of your filter, I would like to compare yours with what is fitted to my car.

28 Chryslers post has just beaten me to my posting, but my filter does not look like the one he has just posted.

Regards

Viv.

Ps some pictures of your car would also be nice to see.

For the use a collector car gets I wouldn't worry or both with an oil filter. If one drives 1000-15000 miles a year and changes the oil every year the stuff you drain would probably be fine.

Just for Grimy, once I drained 8 quarters of oil from a '31 Pierce-Arrow convertible coupe. The guy in town with a radiator shop had a waste oil heater. I took him the oil to burn. One look and he said his truck was overdue for an oil change. That's where it went.... twice.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

Just for Grimy, once I drained 8 quarters of oil from a '31 Pierce-Arrow convertible coupe.

That would be our mutual friend The Godfather.  Nine quarts is the capacity.  I believe in modern multi-grade oils and change them HOT (and let it drain for 30 minutes) every 12-15 months, usually in November at the end of our touring season.  A couple of my cars don't have filters (yet) and may not ever; on those I examine the drain oil more closely.

Now tell me about those "quarters" Bernie!  🙂

I used a heavy aluminum plate with two holes.

One taped for 1/8" pipe thread. The other was taped for 3/4" pipe and I used a 3/4" to 1/8" adapter.

I ended up putting a petcock on the bottom instead of the lamp shade nut.

The filter was one that had the right thread and the right diameter.

(pain in the butt to assemble)

oil filter 4.JPG

engine compartment 6.JPG

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to 1928 Chrysler. oil canister on firewall. original or retro fit? Trying to find suitable filter element