21 yr Old Plans to Drive His Model A Cross Country

A story in the Saturday June 12 Lancaster PA newspaper is reporting a 21 yr old man from Elizabethtown PA is planning to drive his 1930 Ford Model A 5000 miles cross country starting July 10th.  The trek will cover 15 states and take an estimated 35 days.  Great to read the adventures of the open road still call to those who listen for them.  

24367054-CCE2-48BA-BACB-41287FED82C6.jpeg

• Like 6

I hope he plans to add an engine, hood and radiator before he begins the trip. 😁 Seriously, this would be quite the adventure and something I'd love to do myself one day. Unfortunately 35 days off work would be out of the question for now.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pkhammer said:

I hope he plans to add an engine, hood and radiator before he begins the trip. 😁 Seriously, this would be quite the adventure and something I'd love to do myself one day. Unfortunately 35 days off work would be out of the question for now.

Yes, I thought the same!  A photo of the car ready to go would have been more appropriate.  He repainted the car and the photo used was in the new green color he painted it.  I’m looking forward to updates he is supposed to post on YouTube during the journey.

• Like 2

Awesome!  I wonder how much he knows of the historic Lincoln Highway?  It runs through Lancaster.  Todays U.S. 30 more or less follows the route of the original Lincoln Highway across most of the U.S. until about Wyoming.

• Like 1

Good for him!

A friend and his daughter one summer made the cross counrty trip in his choice restored ,bone stock '30 tudor, from Connectcut to Californiee around 1990.

A 30 day casual  ride out and back.

Went to visit an aged uncle ,who upon seeing the Model A was concerned his nephew didn't have a good job and was too poor to have a newer car. 

The car ran flawlessly out and back with the exception of the fuel tank sealer desolving( from ethanol fuel I recall)  and gooing up the carburetor while checking out the bonneville salt flats .

There were LOTS of long boring stretches of boring road,that even in a car you like to drive ,may tax one beyond words.

Edited by Flivverking (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I would love to do this at some point! I believe US 20 can be driven coast to coast without touching the interstate if you take some small detours. I agree though, there are some long stretches of road that aren't fun to drive in any car. 

They even installed signs at each end:

newport-boston-route-20.jpg.41903c10353c4237986e77fbcfdd9207.jpg

Edited by AL1630 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

My son drove his Audi west through Las Vegas... he said never again. 

With a factory fuel tank how far will a Model A go? 

I have never run my 610 Graham-Paige dry (similar size car), it only holds about 12 gallons of fuel, guessing my range to be around 100 miles?

Had some friends drive their 610 a few miles...

https://www.worldphotoadventure.com/zapp-family/

• Like 1

In he 1960's a friend drove his restored Model A roadster from Tennessee across the southern US to California, then up the coast to Canada, across the continent to the East coast and back to Tennessee. I've dreamed of taking such a trip, but it's out of the question for me. I drove my 2020 SUV 500 miles last Tuesday and was fighting to stay awake for at least half of that trip. 

My other dream trip would be the Pan-American Highway from Alaska to Ushuaia, Argentina.

Don 

• Like 1

I really hope he drives through Lincoln, Nebraska. I'd like to drive behind him in my '54 Ranch Wagon for a while while he's passing by on the highway. (I presume he's not taking the interstate 😄.) I hope he encounters many well-wishers and supporters along the way. 

• Like 1

Ha!  The Model A has or is said to be 10 gallon tank..most A's MPG averages are 14 -17 range..A tweaked light weight roadster with a high range rear axle and a compression boost may hit 20 MPG.

During the fuel embargo of the '73 and gas was limited ..we had to plan tours around how far a Model A would go ,round trip..

A "jerry can" of extra gasoline is a good idea on a cross-country excursion. One never knows?

• Like 1

A great book about a long trip in an old car is “Century Story” by Claudia Parsons.  It was published in the UK in 1995 when she was an old woman. It may be hard to find in the US. She drove from India back to England in 1938 in a very-used 1927 Studebaker roadster.  She had the dealer in New Delhi prep the car, drove across trackless wastes to the Middle East, got the car serviced at the dealer in Jerusalem, then made it across North Africa to Ceuta, across to Gibraltar, and across Spain and France to get to England.  She was a trained mechanic and professional driver, a genuine gutsy person. It’s a good read for folks interested in old cars. https://ietarchivesblog.org/2019/05/01/claudia-parsons-1900-1998/

• Like 1

He is 21. If one has the resources (time and money) that is a good age for this type of adventure.

From time to time I think about doing that type of trip again (drove my 33 across the country when I was in my mid 20s). But the thought of all those miles without air conditioning, cruise control, etc. is much less appealing now in my late 60s.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ply33 said:

He is 21. If one has the resources (time and money) that is a good age for this type of adventure.

From time to time I think about doing that type of trip again (drove my 33 across the country when I was in my mid 20s). But the thought of all those miles without air conditioning, cruise control, etc. is much less appealing now in my late 60s.

I’m 44 and already understand what you’re saying! Lol

I made my first trek across country when I wasn't much older then this man is. It's been done many times before, most of the time without fanfare. My own travels have allowed me to honeycomb the country and IMO perspective is power.  The only real challenge is in getting off the snide and doing it the first time. Travel never ceases to be an adventure but with proper preparation the challenge is just in getting started. I guess how someone views the adventure can be dependent on whether you've done it yourself.

I agree wholehearted with the Hwy 20 option. Alternatively I would consider parts of the historic old Yellowstone Hwy. For me it's not a case of either or, it should be both the northern and southern routes, but if I was going to do it only once there would be no question on which route I would choose.

15 hours ago, AL1630 said:

I would love to do this at some point! I believe US 20 can be driven coast to coast without touching the interstate if you take some small detours. I agree though, there are some long stretches of road that aren't fun to drive in any car. 

They even installed signs at each end:

newport-boston-route-20.jpg.41903c10353c4237986e77fbcfdd9207.jpg

it yourself.

4 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

I agree wholehearted with the Hwy 20 option. Alternatively I would consider parts of the historic old Yellowstone Hwy. For me it's not a case of either or, it should be both the northern and southern routes, but if I was going to do it only once there would be no question on which route I would choose.

Yes, Yellowstone would be a nice break in the middle of the Wyoming-Southern Idaho part of the trip. Much better than more miles of high desert sagebrush!

• Like 2

Please suggest to this guy that he put some additional lighting on the rear of the car!!  The speed difference of someone coming up from behind can be dangerous, even on a secondary road.  

• Like 2